Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Post by mike »

Hi all, I'm from about 50 miles north of San Francisco. Would folks around here be interested in creating a group to meet periodically? I was thinking of an actual physical get together, as opposed to Zoom. A way to talk to others going through similar struggles. I'm willing to do some driving, so wherever makes the most sense to meet.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Any NORCAL folks interested in a get together?

Post by cflegal »

Great idea, count me in.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

I’m interested.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
GoldenGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GoldenGirl »

I’m interested. Just finished reading Dr. Bredesen’s “The End of Alzheimer’s,” and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. I found out about five years ago that I have two copies of ApoE4 from a 23andMe test (before their FDA crackdown) and didn’t think much about it until now, having just finished “The End of Alzheimer’s.” I’d love to meet with others in the Bay Area and get ideas/direction on where to go with all this information. I’m in Napa.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

GoldenGirl wrote:I’m interested. I’m in Napa.
Welcome GoldenGirl! Once we get some more folks, we can start figuring out when and where to meet. I'm also 4/4 and this site has been a great source of information and supportive people. If you look in the Getting Started thread, you will see the Primer- a great place to start your learning journey. If you post an intro in the My Stories thread, lots of folks will likely say HI. Genetics is likely less than half of the cause. The good news is there are life style changes that you can make to delay and maybe even prevent the onset of AD.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
GoldenGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GoldenGirl »

Thanks, Sonoma Mike. Just keep me posted.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

GoldenGirl wrote:I’m interested. Just finished reading Dr. Bredesen’s “The End of Alzheimer’s,” and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. I found out about five years ago that I have two copies of ApoE4 from a 23andMe test (before their FDA crackdown) and didn’t think much about it until now, having just finished “The End of Alzheimer’s.” I’d love to meet with others in the Bay Area and get ideas/direction on where to go with all this information. I’m in Napa.
Welcome to apoe4.info GoldenGirl!
I am glad to hear you have read Dr Bredesen's book! Is it an amazing eye opener?
It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed with the amount of information the book and the Recode protocol provide.
Please go slow. If you are interested in prevention pick one or two interventions and start slowly implementing them in to your life. Some fox find very helpful to begin a relation with a doctor or a health coach. Utilizing a professionals sometimes makes things less complicated.

For now, enjoy the forum ask as many question as you would like. We are here to help and support.
If you need a few tips on how to use the forum this link will be helpful:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/%22How-To% ... fo_website
As Mike mentioned, I also would like to point you to our PRIMER. This resource is closely alined with the Recode protocol, but it varies in a few places. It was written by a doctor, our member and an apoe4/4 carrier.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

We are glad to have you here!

My best,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

GoldenGirl wrote:I’m interested. Just finished reading Dr. Bredesen’s “The End of Alzheimer’s,” and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. I found out about five years ago that I have two copies of ApoE4 from a 23andMe test (before their FDA crackdown) and didn’t think much about it until now, having just finished “The End of Alzheimer’s.” I’d love to meet with others in the Bay Area and get ideas/direction on where to go with all this information. I’m in Napa.
Welcome to the ApoE4.Info site GoldenGirl! It’s great to have you join the community! It looks like you are already meeting members and reaching out to the larger community to share ideas and connect- that’s terrific!

Kudos to you for proactively reading Dr. Bredesen’s book, “The End of Alzheimer’s” and reaching out to members on this site to share ideas about how to proceed with all of the information you learned from reading it. It’s definitely a lot to absorb and sharing ideas and best practices with fellow members along the same journey is a great idea! Though the prospect of absorbing and implementing the information you learned can feel overwhelming, one exciting thing to keep in mind is that our genes are not our destiny and you now have more information to empower you to make lifestyle changes (sleep & relaxation, exercise/movement, nutrition, stress, community & relationships) that can positively impact the expression of your genes and your health!

It looks like you've already noticed that the Apoe4.info site provides a supportive place to ask questions, dive into the robust learning resources on this site ( the primer is a great place to start as Mike suggested), engage in active dialogue with community members, meet local members at meet-ups such as the one on this thread, and feel supported by fellow community members. We're happy to have you as part of the community and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.

Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
GoldenGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GoldenGirl »

Thanks to Mike, Magda, and Mandy for the warm welcome and info about the primer. I posted earlier in the “Science” section of the fourm (I think) asking if anyone has had experience with Dr. Bredesen’s “cognoscopy” testing, offered through his website for $1399. At this point I have so many conflicting thoughts and emotions running through me; I’d appreciate just cold hard facts related to my blood panel, hormone levels, possible nutrient deficiencies, etc. I am not comfortable going to my general practitioner regarding all this because a) none of this is his area of expertise, and b) At this time I do not want any blood work and/or testing related to preventative memory loss to go into my insurance records. Maybe at some point, fine. But for now, I am only 47 and I do not want my insurance company to have any reason to drop me or deny me coverage in the furture simply for testing I underwent at 47. Anyway, I’m wondering if trying to pay out of pocket for the evaluation offered through Dr. Bredesen’s website is the way to go. I’m not sure where to post on this forum to learn from people who might have undergone the $1399 “cognoscopy,” if they were happy with the process, and were they satisfied with the feedback provided in their final report.

Thank you all again for reading my post(s) and welcoming me in.

-GoldenGirl
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Golden, I see that Slacker answered your other post on the cognoscopy and since she quoted you in the post you will get an email. Very handy to let you know someone has responded. You do that by clicking the quotes in the upper right of post you want to reply to. By default, the whole post is copied, but you can edit it down to only keep the needed part. I didn't quote you here, since I'm assuming you will come back here soon enough. If you have any further questions ask away!
Sonoma Mike
4/4