Using RAPA for AD prevention

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Using RAPA for AD prevention

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

I wanted to let this forum know that I have electively started intermittent Rapamycin therapy in order to keep AD from forming. Since I have found out about my E4 status, I have looked into many different ways of slowing the progression of AD. The best ways of lowering the statistical probability my E4 status gives me for AD seems to be through lifestyle, diet, vitamin and pharmaceutical interventions. I have found another person from this site who also takes RAPA intermittently for AD prevention. I went to NY and met with Dr. Alan Green. His use of intermittent RAPA as a way to lower Mtor1(this is good) and keep Mtor2 from lowering(this is good), leads to the halting of plaques and tangles forming in the brain over decades, causing AD. Increased Mtor is responsible for many diseases including cancers and Parkinson’s. Decreased Mtor is also associated with longevity. All of these statements have been proven from government medical journals. RAPA has been used by over a million people on a daily basis for organ transplants for almost 25 years. Even though daily dosing is not the same as AD prevention (once a week), the data is there to support that Rapa is safe to take in a therapy situation. I wanted to open up a discussion about Rapa therapy, because I would have loved to have been able to connect with other E4s who are trying RAPA in order to mitigate AD from occurring. In my opinion, taking Rapa to keep a cerebrovascular disease such as AD from forming makes as much sense as taking metformin for prevention of diabetes, lisiniprol for prevention of heart disease and a statin to prevent coronary artery disease. Complete sense:)
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Using RAPA for AD prevention

Post by BrianR »

Newtothis3/4 wrote:I wanted to let this forum know that I have electively started intermittent Rapamycin therapy in order to keep AD from forming.
What dosage?
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

6mg once a week.
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LA18 »

I see that Dr. Bredesen was a co-author on one of the Rapamycin studies with mice. Does anyone know what his take is on the use of Rapamycin for AD prevention in humans (in addition to intermittent fasting and the ketogenic diet)? I don’t believe he mentions this in his book. I’m curious as to whether this is something he would recommend (or consider) for some of the more dire cases.
kt4ye
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kt4ye »

First I have heard of this. Where/how is it available?
Bill
kt4ye
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kt4ye »

Oral or injection?
kt4ye
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kt4ye »

You said RAPA "leads to the halting of plaques and tangles forming in the brain over decades, causing AD."
One of the most difficult tasks is determining "causality."
Many investigators seem to feel that plaques and tangles are symptoms of AD... perhaps kinda like a scab on a wound that is not caused by a knife cut, but by the improper treatment that followed the incision.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

kt4ye wrote:First I have heard of this. Where/how is it available?
Bill
Hi kt4ye, it’s great to have you join the AApoe4.info community! It sounds like you’ve had an opportunity to click around the site a bit already and post some questions to the community. It's an active forum, so I'm sure you'll get them answered in no time! The site is a great place to learn, post questions, and share with fellow community members. If you haven't checked it out already, the primer is a great place to learn about the resources available on the ApoE4.info site. You may also be interested in checking out the Our Stories forum to share about your own story and learn about fellow community members' stories.

We're glad to have you in the community! Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions and to share your questions and posts.

Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
kt4ye
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kt4ye »

Thanks, Mandy... I'm convinced Alzheimer's is a curable disease... But not, I suspect, with a magic bullet.
Alzheimer's was unknown for almost all of humanity's existence. It appeared first in the New World. It is now spreading worldwide... Rapidly.
The clues are all available.
Humanity was a hunter gatherer society until about 10k years ago when we invented agriculture in the old world. That's about the time that old world hunter-gatherers settled the Americas. We old-worlders had only 10k years to try to adjust our diets to accept large amounts of food like wheat.
New world crops like corn were never mass-farmed here 'cause the new world had no plow-pulling animals. These and other new world foods are now mass produced here and are being introduced massively to the rest of the world. Alzheimer's-- unknown in the old world -- is now appearing there as western crops and mechanized farming are being adopted there. This is an Americas crisis that will soon become a world crisis unless we can figger out a way to stop it. Or cure it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Newtothis3/4 wrote:I wanted to let this forum know that I have electively started intermittent Rapamycin therapy in order to keep AD from forming. ....I went to NY and met with Dr. Alan Green.
Dr. Green's website.
Dr. Green has posted here.
Prior discussion of Rapamycin here.

I'm in the camp that Tor cycling is probably a good thing. In my case via fasting.
Tincup
E3,E4