Using RAPA for AD prevention

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Using RAPA for AD prevention

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

Rapamycin generic is Sirolimus. The cost out of pocket depending on weekly 3-6mg dose is between $65-130 a month. Rapa is not a ”magic bullet” to cure AD. It is a medicine that inhibits Mtor1 and not Mtor2 when used weekly. By inhibiting Mtor the result is that autophagy takes place at a cellular level. The same autophagy that occurs when fasting. Rapa induces this autophagy greater than fasting, so in a way it’s an “easy” way to achieve with better results what hard work and discipline take with diet and will power. However, I still intermittent fast and consider it a staple of my health plan. The inhibiting of Mtor never allows plaques and tangles to form. Using a BP medicine to lower pressure for hypertension over decades keeps inflammation down. This keeps the vascular system from having a catastrophic event, resulting in a heart attack or stroke. Rapamycin if administered before the onset of AD, will lower Mtor and keep the cerebrovascular system healthy. The result is that you never get AD. So it’s not a cure. It’s a preventative medicine to never get it in the first place. There is so much information on Rapa from validated studies from mice to dogs that shows it lowers Mtor, prevents cancer, keeps AD from forming, etc. It has been used on over a million patients so far for organ transplants, so use in humans is established. The side effects are related to daily doses (organ transplant patients) whose Mtor1 and Mtor2 are both lowered. People interested in longevity have started to use it daily for life extension. It has been proven to increase life span 20-30% across all animals studied. If the average male lives to 78, than Rapa would extend their lives to 101. The patents have expired for Rapa so there is no incentive for pharma to investigate its properties further. For my purposes, by taking it for the next two decades I will halt the progress of cebrovascular damage in its tracks and never have to deal with AD. Giving me the odds of an E3/E3 or even lower with lifestyle modifications. Dr. Green currently has two E4/4 patients. One is in their mid 60s and the other is early 70s. A population sample of two is not groundshaking. However, statistically if both the patients in 10 years show zero cognitive deterioration, than the odds of that happening would be more than mere chance. That will be convincing enough for me.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Dr Peter Attia has two separate podcasts with two MTOR/rapamycin experts. I found them of interest, with the caveat that their studies are with non human animals (if I remember correctly!).

Dr David Sabatini, MD/PhD
Dr Matt Kaeberlein, PhD
Slacker
E4/E4
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

... following. I'm very interested in this topic. I know that Peter Attia take rapamycin too, as often mentions it as perhaps one of the most powerful anti-aging drugs available. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get. I'll be taking a look at Dr. Green's site. Thanks for the links!
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Hello Newtothis3/4,

Some cautions about rapamycin:

<> Dosing probably needs to be much, much higher to have a significant effect, so high that safety could be a concern:

- 126 ppm rapamycin in chow (Bitto et al) is the human equivalent of 90 mg/day
- 14 ppm (Harrison and others) is the human equivalent of 10 mg/day

<> Rapamycin lowers mTOR signaling fairly globally. Dietary restriction increases mTOR signaling in the gut and other tissues (probably the brain). To me that’s a clue that healthy mTOR modulation needs to be specific to certain tissues.

Like Tincup, I think modulating mTOR signaling is important for health and longevity (and hence dementia prevention), but I'm trying to do it with diet. I think a kind of "inverted fasting" schedule is likely optimal: the norm is dietary restriction (low mTOR), and then a few days every couple weeks eat a bit more, esp. food high in BCAA, to crank up mTOR. That, as opposed to the norm being consumption of typical quantities of food, and the exception being fasting (to lower mTOR). But I confess I find the latter much easier.

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Curcumin and Rapamycin

Post by cflegal »

Apparently both curcumin (mTORc1 and mTORc2) and rapamycin (mTORc1) have somewhat similar neurogenic promise. A review has been recently published, “Tau and mTOR: The Hotspots for Multifarious Diseases in Alzheimer’s Development,” Frontiers in Neuroscience, vol 12, 2019 (on-line). Some studies that I have noted directly compare curcumin and rapamycin. I have already been taking curcumin (Theracurmin) in the hopes of removing both amyloid and tau. I don’t know if it is working for me but in Gary Small’s, UCLA, study Theracurmin was shown to result in removal of both tau and amyloid as noted elsewhere on this forum.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

babl wrote:... following. I'm very interested in this topic. I know that Peter Attia take rapamycin too, as often mentions it as perhaps one of the most powerful anti-aging drugs available. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get. I'll be taking a look at Dr. Green's site. Thanks for the links!
Have you contacted Dr. Green or come to any conclusions about Rapamycin? I'm considering a consultation with him but would like to talk to someone who has seen him. Any information you can share with me would be appreciated. Many thanks, bosco
mountaineermd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mountaineermd »

I also believe suppressing mTor is an important step for healthy aging. I am a 70 yo retired physician with one copy of ApoE4. I practice daily time restricted eating, usually 18:6. I have recently began doing longer fasts to really kick start autophagy. (my record is 84 hours). I recommend The Switch by James W. Clement and Lifespan by David A. Sinclair as excellent resources wrt mTor and autophagy. There are several excellent you tube podcasts featuring both of these authors.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

bosco wrote:
babl wrote:... following. I'm very interested in this topic. I know that Peter Attia take rapamycin too, as often mentions it as perhaps one of the most powerful anti-aging drugs available. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get. I'll be taking a look at Dr. Green's site. Thanks for the links!
Have you contacted Dr. Green or come to any conclusions about Rapamycin? I'm considering a consultation with him but would like to talk to someone who has seen him. Any information you can share with me would be appreciated. Many thanks, bosco

If you want to message me, I’d be happy to share my experience with Rapa and I’m also a patient of Dr. Green.
Fredsbrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fredsbrain »

Am interested to learn more
Fredsbrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fredsbrain »

How do you message thru the forum?