Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
wocky
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by wocky »

Insightful explanation, thank you. She is always trying to get me to do a “plant based” aka vegan diet. Sounds like legumes are a staple of her diet so you’re probably correct wrt the fiber helping. Every time we talk about this I explain that fiber in general is a huge problem for me. I feel miserable after a high fiber meal because of the bloating and gas. She doesn’t have that issue and claims it’s because my “gut isn’t used to fiber” and I should just push through. Not sure how accurate that is.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

wocky wrote:Insightful explanation, thank you. She is always trying to get me to do a “plant based” aka vegan diet. Sounds like legumes are a staple of her diet so you’re probably correct wrt the fiber helping. Every time we talk about this I explain that fiber in general is a huge problem for me. I feel miserable after a high fiber meal because of the bloating and gas. She doesn’t have that issue and claims it’s because my “gut isn’t used to fiber” and I should just push through. Not sure how accurate that is.
My body never ‘adjusts’ to grain/legume fiber or lectins, whichever causes the digestive issues. I gave it a couple years as a vegan about 30 years ago. People who can adjust to it tend to assume everyone can.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
dfmcapecod
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dfmcapecod »

Fiver wrote:Wow TeresaB. That was an epic post, full of information. :) Thanks.

One day we will have a way to measure our status and track progress, and each one of us can try different diets and see what works best for us.
How's that coming along?
DM
ε4/ε4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi dfmcapecod,

I remember that thread from the summer! I guess we're all waiting on that diagnostic test to come along. :? There was another flurry of news about blood and spinal fluid tests for AB and tau recently. If those come to fruition I suppose we could all evaluate how our lifestyle interventions are working for us....well maybe with the blood tests....I'm in no hurry to sign up for routine spinal taps.

I've been focusing on my mom recently and staying on track with exercise. I find that has gotten a little tougher.
dfmcapecod
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dfmcapecod »

Fiver wrote:Hi dfmcapecod,

I remember that thread from the summer! I guess we're all waiting on that diagnostic test to come along. :? There was another flurry of news about blood and spinal fluid tests for AB and tau recently. If those come to fruition I suppose we could all evaluate how our lifestyle interventions are working for us....well maybe with the blood tests....I'm in no hurry to sign up for routine spinal taps.

I've been focusing on my mom recently and staying on track with exercise. I find that has gotten a little tougher.
I am finally making some progress on understanding how inflammation is measured, Dr. Bredesen's book has a section along with goals from their work. In almost all the research we see, we see inflammation, inflammation, inflammation. So if there is so much clinical proof there, I would think that measuring our inflammation easily along with our n=1 trials might help the larger public see if different lifestyle and diet changes track to reducing inflammation measurements.

It looks like inflammation reduction helps in so many things, especially for APOE 4 carriers that this is appearing to me as a good place to set a beachhead and march forward.
DM
ε4/ε4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Good point! Inflammation is important, and we can measure that. I actually did that, and saw inflammation go down at the time I made some changes. I hadn't thought of that in a while.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

dfmcapecod wrote:
Fiver wrote:Hi dfmcapecod,

I am finally making some progress on understanding how inflammation is measured, Dr. Bredesen's book has a section along with goals from their work. In almost all the research we see, we see inflammation, inflammation, inflammation. So if there is so much clinical proof there, I would think that measuring our inflammation easily along with our n=1 trials might help the larger public see if different lifestyle and diet changes track to reducing inflammation measurements.

It looks like inflammation reduction helps in so many things, especially for APOE 4 carriers that this is appearing to me as a good place to set a beachhead and march forward.
Yes!

Dr Bredesen's book says the target is "HS-CRP < 0.9" and "Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio 0.5 to 3.0".
I've addressed both of those and my results are:
HS-CRP = 0.28
Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio = 2.2:1.

What I do may be relevant to others:
1. I eat oily-fish every day. I've done so for 2+ years. This provides anti-inflammatory Omega-3.
2. I avoid Omega-6 oils. I've done this for about 3 years. This reduces inflammatory Omega-6.
(I assume these are not the only factors).

The oily-fish also provides DHA, which is a brain-construction material.

I do wonder whether HS-CRP, measured from blood, is also measuring brain-inflammation.
Or whether the brain, which in some ways runs as a separate system, needs a separate measure? If so, what?
dfmcapecod
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dfmcapecod »

I bumped into this thread yesterday which has a google spread sheet for opening tracking biomarkers on this forum. Would allow practitioners, businesses, etc to review your data, so keep that in mind from a privacy standpoint.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2367

Then there is the lab ranges by Dr. spreadsheet but I am not sure of its "freshness"

It too should be considered from a privacy lens.

I am trying now to figure out an affordable way to test the variables that matter the most. I *think* inflammation metrics are #1 which seem to be a common denominator across the board with the AD realm of knowledge and thinking.
DM
ε4/ε4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My body never ‘adjusts’ to grain/legume fiber or lectins, whichever causes the digestive issues. I gave it a couple years as a vegan about 30 years ago. People who can adjust to it tend to assume everyone can.
Apologies for going off-topic here but I was the same for most of my adult life BUT I've had a pretty dramatic turnaround. I can now eat legumes and foods high in lectins (like cashews) with no GI distress and no pain. None, whatsoever. My FMP prescribed a product called Atrantil, which I combined with a low FODMAP diet for one month. I was miserable for that month- very symptomatic but at the end, my GI health was restored. n full disclosure, I'd been previously DXed with a treatment resistant methane predominant SIBO that I suspect is resolved. I need to retest to be sure. I think you're supposed to drop to a maintenance dose of the Atrantil, for a week every month, which I never did. Your post reminded me. I just ordered and will give it another whirl. I want to maintain this happy gut. :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
Apologies for going off-topic here but I was the same for most of my adult life BUT I've had a pretty dramatic turnaround. I can now eat legumes and foods high in lectins (like cashews) with no GI distress and no pain. None, whatsoever. My FMP prescribed a product called Atrantil, which I combined with a low FODMAP diet for one month. I was miserable for that month- very symptomatic but at the end, my GI health was restored. n full disclosure, I'd been previously DXed with a treatment resistant methane predominant SIBO that I suspect is resolved. I need to retest to be sure. I think you're supposed to drop to a maintenance dose of the Atrantil, for a week every month, which I never did. Your post reminded me. I just ordered and will give it another whirl. I want to maintain this happy gut. :D
Thanks for posting that Julie! I'd never heard of it. I may try that. I think I'd still be inclined to avoid the lectins unless they're property deactivated. (I've been experimenting a little. I first added in lentils that I pressure cooked in the Instant Pot using the 'soup' button. I don't think that destroyed the lectins because I still reacted with bloating. I'm on the search locally for Eden brand canned lentils which are Gundry approved since they've been pressure cooked. I'm curious to see if I still react. While not finding that, I brought home Eden canned chickpeas and made hummus with no adverse effects.)

I see Atrantil works by killing archea that produce methane. This Scientific American article is an interesting deep dive into the archea realm, at least from a lay perspective.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.