Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by FitFoodie »

xactly wrote:As mentioned in my previous post, I may continue to consume salmon roe as my source of Omega-3 fats, since they appear to offer the highest amount of DHA in phospholipid form.

When Peter Attia interviewed Rhonda Patrick, he told a story about one of his patients who was following a ketogenic diet. When he ran tests, the man's Lp(a) was off the charts at something like 3500 mg/dL. He tried to get the patient to discontinue the keto diet, but the man was unwilling to do so because he felt great otherwise. So, they changed his fat consumption to almost all mono- and polyunsaturated, sharply limiting saturated fat intake. When the man made this change, his Lp(a) test results improved dramatically.

Rhonda Patrick mentioned the FTO gene as a possible source for that kind of sensitivity to saturated fats. Since I have the FTO alleles, I think they may be the source of the spike in LDL-C I see when I consume animal products. Peter hazarded a guess, based on his patient population, that this sensitivity to saturated fats may affect about 10 - 20% of the population.
Hi xactly - I just picked up a kilogram of salmon roe from a wholesaler/internet retailer in Brooklyn. I defrosted it, re-packed it into smaller pouches, re-froze them, and then vaccuum-sealed them.

Can you share what you consider a daily dose to be? It's delicious imo and I could eat a lot but it's spendy so I'm not trying to go overboard.

Thanks!
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

I promised to come back to this thread and report results of a couple of dietary tests. As previously posted, I prefer to eat as close to vegan as possible for ethical and sustainability reasons. I understand the need for adequate consumption of choline and omega-3 fats, and I have no problem with continuing to consume pastured eggs as a source of choline. My quest is to find the minimal effective dose of omega-3 fats to stay in the desirable range on an OmegaQuant test, which is 8% to 12%, and to see if I can get most or all of that dose from plant sources.

For the first four months of the test, I did the following: 1) took 2 teaspoons per day of Nordic Naturals liquid Omega-3 fish oil, yielding 1g DHA and 1.5g EPA; 2) ate salmon about once every two weeks on average; and 3) finished consuming some Vital Choice salmon roe I had purchased prior to starting the test. On the days I consumed 1 ounce of salmon roe, I did not take liquid fish oil, and I consumed salmon roe on 12 days of the first month of the roughly four-month test.

My OmegaQuant test result for this four-month period was 10%, so it seems possible for me to stay healthy with a salmon serving every couple of weeks and fish oil every day.

For the next four months, I'm going to replace the supplemental fish oil with algal oil and then retest. I'll continue to eat salmon once every two weeks in the meantime. I'll post those results when I have them.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

xactly wrote:I promised to come back to this thread and report results of a couple of dietary tests.

For the first four months of the test, I did the following: 1) took 2 teaspoons per day of Nordic Naturals liquid Omega-3 fish oil, yielding 1g DHA and 1.5g EPA; 2) ate salmon about once every two weeks on average; and 3) finished consuming some Vital Choice salmon roe I had purchased prior to starting the test. On the days I consumed 1 ounce of salmon roe, I did not take liquid fish oil, and I consumed salmon roe on 12 days of the first month of the roughly four-month test.

My OmegaQuant test result for this four-month period was 10%, so it seems possible for me to stay healthy with a salmon serving every couple of weeks and fish oil every day.

For the next four months, I'm going to replace the supplemental fish oil with algal oil and then retest. I'll continue to eat salmon once every two weeks in the meantime. I'll post those results when I have them.
Thanks for posting your results and what you did to get them. It will be interesting to see what your results are when you replace the Nordic Naturals with algal oil . What Algal oil will you be using?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

floramaria wrote:Thanks for posting your results and what you did to get them. It will be interesting to see what your results are when you replace the Nordic Naturals with algal oil . What Algal oil will you be using?
I'm ordering SR Vegan Omega-3. Two softgels provide 420 mg DHA and 210 mg EPA, which is lower than the total amount of both I was getting from liquid fish oil. All of the algae oil products I looked at had much higher DHA to EPA ratios than fish oil. I don't know if that is significant for APOE4s or not.

For this round of experimentation, I'm going to take the recommended 2 algae oil softgels per day, but increase salmon consumption to once per week. I'll test again in 4 months and report back.

I read several years ago from Andrew Weill and others that fish oil supplementation is unnecessary if you consume salmon or other fatty fish at least twice per week. However, Rhonda Patrick and others regularly eat salmon as well as take fish oil. If anyone has run an OmegaQuant test after four months of consuming fatty fish without fish oil supplementation, I'd love to know the results.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

xactly wrote:
floramaria wrote:Thanks for posting your results and what you did to get them. It will be interesting to see what your results are when you replace the Nordic Naturals with algal oil . What Algal oil will you be using?
I read several years ago from Andrew Weill and others that fish oil supplementation is unnecessary if you consume salmon or other fatty fish at least twice per week. However, Rhonda Patrick and others regularly eat salmon as well as take fish oil. If anyone has run an OmegaQuant test after four months of consuming fatty fish without fish oil supplementation, I'd love to know the results.
I eat oily-fish every day. I've done so for 2 to 3 years. I never use fish-oil supplements.
(I also never consume Omega-6 industrial seed oils).

My QUANT results:
Omega-3 Index: 13.65%
Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio: 2.2:1.

All the SMASH oily-fish. (Often from cans). Not the bigger fish that may be contaminated with mercury.
And their roes: especially Trout Roe; sometimes Salmon Roe.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Barry Pearson wrote:I eat oily-fish every day. I've done so for 2 to 3 years. I never use fish-oil supplements.
(I also never consume Omega-6 industrial seed oils).

My QUANT results:
Omega-3 Index: 13.65%
Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio: 2.2:1.

All the SMASH oily-fish. (Often from cans). Not the bigger fish that may be contaminated with mercury.
Thanks for the info. Your indices look really good.

I am questioning the value of fish oil supplements. If consuming fish provides an equivalent Omega-3 Index benefit, then fish would be preferable, since it would provide additional protein in my diet, to go along with eggs and plant-based sources. Since my goal is to stay within the 8 - 12% desirable range on the Omega-3 Index, I may try a 4-month experiment to see if SMASH fish twice a week will achieve that result.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Barry Pearson wrote: All the SMASH oily-fish. (Often from cans). Not the bigger fish that may be contaminated with mercury.
Just a heads up. When I ate SMASH fish once a day, sometimes twice, my serum mercury was mid range "normal," which of course isn't "normal" at all since we shouldn't have any mercury. It went down, though not to zero, when I cut back on SMASH fish.

I haven't done a mercury tri-test, but this was enough, while not being a complete set of relevant data, to suggest to me that you can get significant, if "normal," serum mercury eating enough SMASH fish.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

circular wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote: All the SMASH oily-fish. (Often from cans). Not the bigger fish that may be contaminated with mercury.
Just a heads up. When I ate SMASH fish once a day, sometimes twice, my serum mercury was mid range "normal," which of course isn't "normal" at all since we shouldn't have any mercury. It went down, though not to zero, when I cut back on SMASH fish.

I haven't done a mercury tri-test, but this was enough, while not being a complete set of relevant data, to suggest to me that you can get significant, if "normal," serum mercury eating enough SMASH fish.
Ouch! For all sorts of reasons, I consider SMASH fish to be important to me.

I didn't know about a "serum mercury test". I clearly need one. Can you give any links?

Thanks.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Barry Pearson wrote: I didn't know about a "serum mercury test". I clearly need one. Can you give any links?
https://daction.grassrootshealth.net/tests/ has a test that includes mercury, lead & cadmium that can be done at home
Mg+Elements (Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc, Copper; Cadmium, Lead, Mercury) & Vitamin D
$209.99
Tincup
E3,E4
Barry Pearson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Barry Pearson »

Tincup wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote: I didn't know about a "serum mercury test". I clearly need one. Can you give any links?
https://daction.grassrootshealth.net/tests/ has a test that includes mercury, lead & cadmium that can be done at home
Mg+Elements (Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc, Copper; Cadmium, Lead, Mercury) & Vitamin D
$209.99
Ouch!
Thanks. If I can't find something cheaper, that sounds like something I need.