Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by MsCindy »

This post isn't going to go away, despite the doubts of everyone. There are too many of us out there suffering from the severe effects of plant toxins, and some of the biggest offenders are the most recommended plants in the keto diet: spinach, tree nuts, legumes, and more! They are loaded with the toxic chemical "oxalate" that wreaks havoc all over our bodies, and slowly builds up over time in almost all body systems. I will always love and feel very loyal to Dale Bredesen. My father's entire family died of Alzheimers in their 70's, and it was a very scary, and painful Alzheimers - not the least bit kind or gentle. But the keto diet with all those vegetables/plants was killing me before AD would get a chance to. I'm still keto - even more keto in fact - on the carnivore zero carb diet. But now I no longer have severe arthritis or crippling IBS. In only 2 months on the carnivore diet, those severe health problems from 5 years on the keto diet, are now just gone. I feel terrible that Meatsavesbrains was scared away by all the negative reactions to their first post, and hope that we can have a couple of threads on this forum to address others who may unknowingly suffer from the toxic effects of eating too many plant-based foods, such as arthritis, IBS and auto-immune disorders.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Zero carb diet will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Post by SusanJ »

MsCindy wrote:In only 2 months on the carnivore diet, those severe health problems from 5 years on the keto diet, are now just gone.
Glad to hear that carnivore has helped your health problems, by reducing oxalate content. It is such a blessing when that happens, especially for those of us who have had health problems eating Paleo or keto diets with nuts, spinach, beets, sweet potatoes and other high oxalate foods. I certainly feel better without them.

I'm guessing oxalates are a problem for more people than we realize. I wrote this wiki on oxalates a couple years ago, and am currently bringing it up-to-date with new research.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

MsCindy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:20 am They are loaded with the toxic chemical "oxalate" that wreaks havoc all over our bodies, and slowly builds up over time in almost all body systems.
SusanJ wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:44 pm I'm guessing oxalates are a problem for more people than we realize. I wrote this wiki on oxalates a couple years ago, and am currently bringing it up-to-date with new research.
I agree about the oxalates.
Recently a friend told me that after following Dr. Bredesen's dietary recommendations for years, growing and eating vast quantities of vegetables and following a diet that was heavily weighted overall towards oxalate rich foods, she decided to try a low oxalate diet because of health problems. She has noticed a tremendous improvement.

I'm going to check out your WiKi, Susan. I'm sure it will be a great resource as I'm beginning to look into an area that has been off my radar. Thanks.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

SusanJ wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:44 pm I'm guessing oxalates are a problem for more people than we realize. I wrote this wiki on oxalates a couple years ago, and am currently bringing it up-to-date with new research.
Wow, that's an incredibly well written and researched ultra deep dive into the topic, Susan. Kudos!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

MarcR wrote:Wow, that's an incredibly well written and researched ultra deep dive into the topic, Susan. Kudos!
Thanks, Marc. My research helped me figure out the wide range of problems I've had in the past, and the wiki was a good place to store all that info. Lowering oxalates has been the game changer for me.
Dod
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dod »

I'm a bit late to this thread but wanted to add my tuppence worth since over the years I have drifted towards this way of eating (close to zero plants), and like many others have cured an autoimmune disease. My big picture, overall view is that saying meat (with the associated fat) is bad for you is like saying breathing oxygen or drinking water is bad*. We thrived primarily on these things for hundreds of thousands of years during which time our brains and bodies grew. Ten thousand years ago when we started our grass-seeds diet en masse our brains started to shrink again. Meat has everything you need and nothing you don't need. Plants cannot give you everything you need and all have toxins and nutrient blockers to a greater or less degree
* CONTAMINATED meat, air and water are obviously problematic.
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahB »

Before anybody jumps into a restrictive diet, check ALL your genes. Keto nearly killed me: it's a very poor fit for those with histamine intolerance. Low histamine + keto is so restrictive, I'd starve. I have a disaccridase deficiency, so much grain is out of the question, excluding Mediterranean. After two years of experimenting, I've settled on low grain, high veg (incl root vegetables) and fish/kangaroo combo. There is no one size fits all.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

SarahB wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:13 pm Before anybody jumps into a restrictive diet, check ALL your genes. Keto nearly killed me: it's a very poor fit for those with histamine intolerance. Low histamine + keto is so restrictive, I'd starve. I have a disaccridase deficiency, so much grain is out of the question, excluding Mediterranean. After two years of experimenting, I've settled on low grain, high veg (incl root vegetables) and fish/kangaroo combo. There is no one size fits all.
Kangaroo combo with anything sounds fascinating! Thanks for sharing your hard-won wisdom, Sarah.
4/4 and still an optimist!
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MsCindy »

One day we will have a way to measure our status and track progress, and each one of us can try different diets and see what works best for us.

I totally agree, Fiver!!!!! I'm one of those people who can't tolerate all the keto vegetables. I have struggled with IBS all my life and never realized that vegetables were causing it. I was almost vegetarian before I began the Bredesen protocol, then began eating 2 oz of meat every day along with a wide variety of low carb veggies. At first I lost some excess weight, then within one year, began gaining it back. By my 3rd year on keto my IBS became very, very severe and nearly disabling, but I am so worried about my APOE4 gene that I stuck with it and tried to live with my ever-increasing and painful IBS. At the end of my 5th year on keto, my husband started reading about the carnivore diet, telling me I needed to try it. I thought he was crazy, and ignored him. But finally after yet another long day at work with severe pain all day and severe diarrhea many, many times, I decided I had nothing to lose and tried it. I've only been on it for 4 months now, but my IBS is GONE! No more burning, cramping digestive tract pain, no more diarrhea, no more bloating, weight is perfect, BMI 19.1, and even my stubborn belly fat is gone too. I haven't felt this good in 25 years!

I know plants are loaded with things that are good for people, but I'm one of those people who just can't tolerate the chemical toxins they develop to protect themselves from predators. Some people can tolerate plant toxins fine. Some people can tolerate some, but not others. Some people, like me, are highly sensitive to all of them. I totally agree that we do need to each find our own path.

I know I'm on the right path for me for Alzheimers, because so many signs are there. For example, I had nearly lost my sense of smell before I started keto, then gained it back quickly on keto, then lost it again in my 3rd year on keto. Now on the carnivore diet, it's back and stronger than it's been in many, many years. Same exact pattern with brain fog, confusion about small things, etc. So for now, I'm going to give this diet a few years and see if these good results last this time. I know inflammation is a huge problem for me, and probably for many of us, just as Theresa says. But we do each have to figure out for ourselves what things trigger inflammation and what things resolve it in our highly complex and varied bodies.

So maybe there are no "right" and "wrong" answers? Just experiences that we share in case they might help someone else.

Peace to all!
MsCindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MsCindy »

Wow, Susan, I just read your wiki article. It's superb!!!!!! So much info in one very clear webpage! I've read 2 books and many NIH studies on oxalates, so I felt pretty educated on the topic. But you have a lot of info on your wiki that I hadn't read. Thank you so much for writing it and sharing it! It's going to be my oxalate go-to for sure!