tests

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Buzzman
New User
New User

tests

Post by Buzzman »

Hi. I'm Buzzman. I'm brand new here. In fact, this is my first ever post, so bear with me, please. I live near Albuquerque, NM. I have almost finished "The End of Alzheimer's" by Dr. Dale Bredesen and am interested in getting started, however.....He lists desirable results from a zillion tests. So, does anyone out there know a doctor who knows what tests (presumably blood tests) to request & what to look for? I have Presbyterian insurance, so my primary care physician probably won't order all these zillions of tests. Should I try anyhow? Is there another doctor to see? Does he/she accept Presbyterian insurance? I'm already working on gluten-free and dairy-free.
Thanks,
Buzzman
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: tests

Post by TheresaB »

I looking for a functional medicine doctor, there's this: https://www.ifm.org/find-a-practitioner/
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Buzzman wrote:Hi. I'm Buzzman. I'm brand new here. In fact, this is my first ever post, so bear with me, please. I live near Albuquerque, NM. I have almost finished "The End of Alzheimer's" by Dr. Dale Bredesen and am interested in getting started, however.....He lists desirable results from a zillion tests. So, does anyone out there know a doctor who knows what tests (presumably blood tests) to request & what to look for? I have Presbyterian insurance, so my primary care physician probably won't order all these zillions of tests. Should I try anyhow? Is there another doctor to see? Does he/she accept Presbyterian insurance? I'm already working on gluten-free and dairy-free.
Thanks,
Buzzman
Hi Buzzman, we're thrilled you found us, so no forebearance is required! The issues of which tests to prioritize and how to pay for them is one that most of us deal with, and there are many reasonable answers. One is to start with a conversation with your doctor about some "basic" tests that your insurance will cover. You may get a sense of what those tests might be by checking out this section of the Primer, written by a member physician who works as a family medicine provider: Blood tests that measure Insulin Resistance. You can browse her entire Primer to see why she believes insulin resistance is a key measure, and why she also believes that other strategies can be easily implemented by you without a zillion tests.

But since some of us want specific tests of levels of , for example, Vitamin B-12. Tthe doctor in my clinical trial wanted the level over 500, which Dr. Bredesen also supports, even though "normal" is as low as 200. So here's a resource for that: Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options

To help you get the most out of this forum, for example by quoting users so they get an email notifying them of your reply, check out the quote icon in the upper right of those posts, and also the "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

You are doing just fine, Buzzman! Keep doing what feels right for you and know that we're a community of shared problem-solving!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Davida
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Davida »

Buzzman wrote:Hi. I'm Buzzman. I'm brand new here. In fact, this is my first ever post, so bear with me, please. I live near Albuquerque, NM. I have almost finished "The End of Alzheimer's" by Dr. Dale Bredesen and am interested in getting started, however.....He lists desirable results from a zillion tests. So, does anyone out there know a doctor who knows what tests (presumably blood tests) to request & what to look for? I have Presbyterian insurance, so my primary care physician probably won't order all these zillions of tests. Should I try anyhow? Is there another doctor to see? Does he/she accept Presbyterian insurance? I'm already working on gluten-free and dairy-free.
Thanks,
Buzzman
Hi Buzzman and welcome to the Apoe4 community! I think you will find this to be a very resourceful site with many others having similar journeys and questions. I see that TheresaB has posted a link offering information for finding a functional medicine doctor. You may also want to go to our Wiki page and look at 10.4 and 10.5 searching for a practitioner. There is also our Primer, it has a wealth of information on the Apoe4 gene, lifestyle choices and prevention strategies. This may enhance what you already know and are currently doing.

Keep up the good work on your diet choices and good luck with the doctor search. It can sometimes take time to find the right people to work with but all the small steps we make in a positive direction contribute greatly to our well being.

Again welcome. Please keep posting, we would like to hear more from you.

My best,

Davida
Davida
FMCHC
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches Certification 2018
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Buzzman wrote:Hi. I'm Buzzman. I'm brand new here. In fact, this is my first ever post, so bear with me, please. I live near Albuquerque, NM.
hi Buzzman, I realize this post of yours is over two years old, but since I also live in NM, I was wondering if you ever found a way to get the testing done through Presbyterian, or if you found another doctor. I am always on the lookout for good in state providers. Thanks.
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health