an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Post by Stavia »

progranulindefect wrote:stavia, what is your exercise routine like now? how do you protect against exercise-related injuries?
Pro, I do boxing now. It's hitting bags and in pairs using pads. I find it great for fitness and coordination and its really fun. Its a very disciplined professional club that I belong to and I'm in no danger of getting hit.

To protect my head I don't ski anymore. I'm sad about this. I also am extremely careful when walking on uneven ground or stairs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Re: an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Post by progranulindefect »

In your boxing club is it against the rules to hit the head area?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Post by Stavia »

progranulindefect wrote:In your boxing club is it against the rules to hit the head area?
Only the top level boxers are allowed to spar and only with head protection. The lower level members aren't allowed to hit anything other than pads held by another member or bags hanging from the ceiling. No body contact allowed whatsoever. Its perfectly safe. I havent been even accidentally touched even on my shoulder or hip ever.
PS. last night I stayed late and helped with training the top members - tried to punch them in the forehead while they ducked or blocked. omg such fun! they are sooo fast! and sooo strong!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by progranulindefect »

my daughter wanted to do amateur boxing. i discouraged her from it because i am not convinced that the protective headgear is protective enough. i certainly would never try to hit someone in the head, even if they had on protective headgear, unless i was in a threatening situation and i had to protect myself for real.
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/olympic-b ... r-anymore/
DistinguishedHeathen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DistinguishedHeathen »

Soooo, as someone who was just diagnosed with a mild concussion today and freaking out about it due to being a 3/4, reading this brought me tremendous relief.

For the record, I gave myself a concussion in the most ridiculous way: springing up from the bed due to a night terror and then letting myself fall back down to the bed, striking the back of my head on our low, wooden headboard in the process. Though it was incredibly painful then and left me with a goose egg, I didn't have any symptoms (never had a headache in my life, not even with this -- all surface pain) until 4 days later when I awoke Monday morning with profound vertigo, followed by vomiting, followed by exhaustion. The next morning, I was still dizzy/felt my head sloshing, so I booked an appointment with my neurologist for today.

He was confident it was a concussion with delayed presentation and said I didn't need an MRI at this time, especially since my symptoms have improved each day since Monday.

I still feel a bit fuzzy and heavy-headed, but reading this gives me hope that I haven't caused some lasting damage from which my brain can't recover. Thank you for that!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Soooo, as someone who was just diagnosed with a mild concussion today and freaking out about it due to being a 3/4, reading this brought me tremendous relief.
Sending virtual hugs, my friend. It's awful knowing you're an E4 and then sustaining a brain injury, but Stavia's post is VERY hopeful. My E4 son recently sustained a pretty severe concussion from a bike accident; he was struck by a moving vehicle and briefly lost consciousness. He found resting and a super clean diet, lots of veggies, berries, and omega-3s to be helpful. He also supplemented with BDNF during his healing period. Be sure to take it easy. If standing or walking makes you dizzy, keep it to a minimum. Many find resting in a darkened room and abstaining from screens to be helpful. Keep us posted on your progress.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

DistinguishedHeathen wrote:Soooo, as someone who was just diagnosed with a mild concussion today and freaking out about it due to being a 3/4, reading this brought me tremendous relief.

For the record, I gave myself a concussion in the most ridiculous way: springing up from the bed due to a night terror and then letting myself fall back down to the bed, striking the back of my head on our low, wooden headboard in the process. Though it was incredibly painful then and left me with a goose egg, I didn't have any symptoms (never had a headache in my life, not even with this -- all surface pain) until 4 days later when I awoke Monday morning with profound vertigo, followed by vomiting, followed by exhaustion. The next morning, I was still dizzy/felt my head sloshing, so I booked an appointment with my neurologist for today.

He was confident it was a concussion with delayed presentation and said I didn't need an MRI at this time, especially since my symptoms have improved each day since Monday.

I still feel a bit fuzzy and heavy-headed, but reading this gives me hope that I haven't caused some lasting damage from which my brain can't recover. Thank you for that!
So glad to hear that you got seen by a neurologist right away and got reassuring news!

Like you, I gave myself a concussion and didn't have the excuse of having night terrors. In my early 40's, I walked in the dark on our icy driveway in heels (what could go wrong?). The resulting egg on my head was diagnosed as a mild head injury at the ER and caused nausea and dizziness the first night, followed by a persistent headache at the spot I hit for about a month. No cognitive effects then or later, thankfully! I happened to be running a large project for kids with TBI at the time, with access to great neuropsychologists and conferences, so was able to get the same kind of reassurance you got.

Having recently served on several grant-approval committees for research into the effects of TBI in the military, the scientific consensus now seems to be that repetitive mild TBI is most often the cause of long-term issues, not a single mild concussion. Although a "blast"-induced concussion from an IED explosion can set off a huge brain-wave imbalance, that is very different from a specific, brief blow to one spot of your nicely hard skull.

Be patient and kind to your brain. Knowing that it might take 4 weeks or so before you feel like yourself consistently will make it less scary when you experience the need for "cognitive rest" (taking breaks frequently during mentally challenging work) or giving yourself quiet time or naps. Gentle aerobic exercise may help after concussions--just be sure your balance feels okay!

Think of this as a minor fender-bender accident--it won't raise your rates of risk, cause your brain to not run smoothly or lead to permanent, pervasive or personal changes in who you are!!
4/4 and still an optimist!