What is 4:4

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
NoNotMe
Contributor
Contributor

What is 4:4

Post by NoNotMe »

I’m just starting to understand my genetic risk factor of having two copies on ApoE4. Ive looked on line and can’t find what 4;4 actually refers to. If you have two copies are you a 4;4?
This is some scary news I’m trying to process. I’m so grateful to have found this site and joined the ReCode program. Waiting of bloodwork results.
Functional Medicine Health Coach
Integrative Nutritionalist
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: What is 4:4

Post by NF52 »

NoNotMe wrote:I’m just starting to understand my genetic risk factor of having two copies on ApoE4. Ive looked on line and can’t find what 4;4 actually refers to. If you have two copies are you a 4;4?
This is some scary news I’m trying to process. I’m so grateful to have found this site and joined the ReCode program. Waiting of bloodwork results.
Welcome, NoNotMe!
You"ve come to the right place, since many of us had a similar reaction when we found out we had one or two copies of Apoe 4. It doesn't help to get information that is both scary and unfamiliar! So here's a little info and some reassurance for now:

This is from the National Institutes of Health's Genetics Home Reference:
The APOE gene provides instructions for making a protein called apolipoprotein E. This protein combines with fats (lipids) in the body to form molecules called lipoproteins. Lipoproteins are responsible for packaging cholesterol and other fats and carrying them through the bloodstream. Maintaining normal levels of cholesterol is essential for the prevention of disorders that affect the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular diseases), including heart attack and stroke.
There are at least three slightly different versions (alleles) of the APOE gene. The major alleles are called e2, e3, and e4. The most common allele is e3, which is found in more than half of the general population.
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/APOE

Every person gets one copy of ApoE from each parent. You and I both have ApoE 4/4, so our mothers and fathers each had at least one copy. It doesn't mean our siblings are also ApoE 4/4. For example, if my parents were each ApoE 3/4, my three siblings could be ApoE 3/3, 3/4 or 4/4.

Most importantly: While ApoE 4 has been shown to increase the risk of both cardiac problems (heart attacks, coronary artery disease, strokes, etc.) in some people, it doesn't mean that happens in all people who are ApoE 4/4. My dad died of cardiac arrest when he was 67, the same age I am now, after a major heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery. Yet my own "cardiac age" age on a coronary calcium CT scan was 39, with zero coronary plaque. Maybe I have good protective heart genes that came from my mother's side; maybe my lifestyle and environment has kept me healthy.

We know that genes are not destiny: they have complex workings and are mightily influenced by things like exercise, good sleep, a healthy diet (lots of views on what that should be!), not smoking, not drinking beyond a moderate amount and managing stress. Those things are good for everyone!

Here's some advice: Don't trust every scary story about the risk of ApoE 4 that you read! Some sources are 20 years old or more, and used people who self-referred to memory clinics long before 23& me was around. That's like trusting a 20 year old recommendation for a cell phone before smart phones were invented!

Here's a 2017 analysis of four large groups of people, which was used to predict what the risk for someone like me (ages 60-75) to be diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment or dementia (Alzheimer's, vascular dementia, etc) by the age of 85, an average US lifespan:
The Generation Study elected to disclose the following “lifetime” risks of MCI or dementia to its potential participants: 30%–55% for individuals with APOE-e4/e4; 20%–25% for individuals with APOE-e3/e4 and -e2/e4 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e4); and 10%–15% for individuals with APOE-e3/e3, -e3/e2, and -e2/e2 (with a note that risk might be lower for those with APOE-e2/e3 and -e2/e2).
APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts

For me, having a 45% to 70% chance that if I live to 85, I will still have my good old brain working is odds I like. And at 67, my brain seems to be doing just fine--and I bet yours is also, at whatever your age is.

Browse a bit on the forum. my genetic "cousin", and ask all those questions you have. A good place to start is the Welcome page, which has links to several good overviews. And remember--you are exactly the same person you were before this information, only now you have the advantage of preparing for a healthy and happy rest of your life!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Welcome & you may wish to read our Primer.
Tincup
E3,E4
NoNotMe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NoNotMe »

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I was feeling so overwhelmed and your response really walked me “off the cliff” sorta speak. I’m happy to be part of this community.
I happened upon a lecture with Bruce Lipton yesterday who espouses the idea that we are not simply the expression of our genes. The positivity of your response reinforces his research.
With my genetic profile and seeing my mother wasting away with advanced dementia these are hard concepts to fully embrace. Still I am willing and will continue to admire your excellent lead.
Functional Medicine Health Coach
Integrative Nutritionalist
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

Still I am willing and will continue to admire your excellent lead.
Welcome NoNotMe! I agree, very wise words from NF52. As another newbie to this community, I can readily attest to its supportive environment. I hope you consider APOE4.info as a sound resource as you continue on your journey!
Regards,
Lisa
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach