Coconut oil or EVOO?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Coconut oil or EVOO?

Post by Gilgamesh »

Juliegee wrote:James, I will try very hard to believe you are truly open-minded and curious. When I hear you describe other researchers/physicians, who believe differently from you, as “Quack Jobs”…I have to admit, it’s a little hard to trust your sincerity :roll: I will be the first to acknowledge that I am very uncertain of what is best for us and am struggling to find answers.

Hey gang,

I'm about to run off to a doctor's appt., but I just wanted to chime in here and say: having "followed" James for a while now on various forums, I can vouch for his sincerity! There are quack jobs out there -- whether or not James or I or you or anyone might be correct in the application of that label in any particular case.

Switching gears, Julie, your summary about what diff. doctors say reminded me of something I mean to do soon: start a thread, a sort of "meta-thread", addressing the question of how we might best find out what works (or has a good chance of working), and what doesn't. James and I would tend to go to research articles. You, I think, rely a bit more on what physicians believe. It occurs to me I'm missing out on a lot with my attitude that I need to rely only on research. Peter Attia, for ex., might be -- might be -- right! And in the case of alcohol, for ex., looking only at research articles leads to the conclusion all the reviews draw: more research needed. I want some smart, educated guesses about whether or not I need to be a teetotaler! When someone points me to a blog, I tend to roll my eyes, but maybe I should start relying less on PubMed....

Anyway, back to ketones: Attia is only speculating, of course. We need a study, precisely the sort of study he calls for. In the meantime, saying anything more than that we need a study doesn't seem warranted, in my view. The absence of a study showing higher doses of ketone-producing substances won't work doesn't mean they will work.

OK, off to the doctor....

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey G, I don't know that I rely MORE on physicians than published research...I certainly read all of the research I can find on the subject...and so do they. And, I totally agree with you, that more is needed to make any definite claims.

The few folks I listed are at the top of their games with very impressive resumes- not "quack jobs." They seem to think that drawing conclusions from the current research may be premature. I hear that you (and James) think otherwise. Like I stated earlier, I totally respect that...and suspect that we all agree on more than we disagree on :D

We are truly the modern day canaries in the coal mine. Having knowledge of our apoE status, without definitive prevention advice, frankly sucks. But, all the more reason to continue the conversation...

Good luck at the doctor, my friend. I did my MRI last night and am off to the dentist today :shock: Bleh.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Juliegee wrote:Hey G, I don't know that I rely MORE on physicians than published research...
Quick clarification: I meant more than James or I do, not more than pub'd research. I know you look into the research intensely as well!
Juliegee wrote:We are truly the modern day canaries in the coal mine. Having knowledge of our apoE status, without definitive prevention advice, frankly sucks. But, all the more reason to continue the conversation...
Yes, it sucks; yes, we must continue the conversation!
Juliegee wrote:Good luck at the doctor, my friend. I did my MRI last night and am off to the dentist today :shock: Bleh.
Good luck at the dentist!

GB
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

You are going about the research the wrong way..

It is about the fat composition of both the oils and the question that is important is can E4's handle the HI Sat fat in coconut oil?

simple answer is if you use too much or are a hyper-absorber you WILL have a problem.

MCT are about 50% of coconut but the rest is bad actors. MCT does not work for E4's.

want to check follow your lipids before you binge on the nutty coconut and then tell us here..

to be ketogenetic you have to consume over 50% more like over 60% of total calories as fat.. and know how much your sat fat component is.

better question is what is the best ratio of mono poly and saturated fats in the diet.

Dr Rosedale I believe tried to answer that one.. don't believe he chose coconuts for anyone.but E3 and the rest can deal with coconuts better than E4..

The quotes from Attia and Dayspring are all wishie washie.. not committal as they don't know but others do know.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

SpunkyPup wrote:
It is about the fat composition of both the oils and the question that is important is can E4's handle the HI Sat fat in coconut oil?

simple answer is if you use too much or are a hyper-absorber you WILL have a problem.
That's what my research also indicates, though I wouldn't put it as confidently (i.e., I'd say: more research is needed).

GB
James
Contributor
Contributor

Post by James »

Gilgamesh wrote:
Juliegee wrote:James, I will try very hard to believe you are truly open-minded and curious. When I hear you describe other researchers/physicians, who believe differently from you, as “Quack Jobs”…I have to admit, it’s a little hard to trust your sincerity :roll: I will be the first to acknowledge that I am very uncertain of what is best for us and am struggling to find answers.

Hey gang,

I'm about to run off to a doctor's appt., but I just wanted to chime in here and say: having "followed" James for a while now on various forums, I can vouch for his sincerity! There are quack jobs out there -- whether or not James or I or you or anyone might be correct in the application of that label in any particular case.
He stated my thoughts better than I could have myself. I understand my language my come off as ignorantly biased, but I assure you this is not the case. I understand the ambiguity of much of the available research, and I understand lay persons (and academics/experts!) don't have enough time to pour through each study any find the flaws and potential usefulness of the data. It's an imperfect system, but it works fairly well on a large scale. That being said, I do balance all applicable research and understand 1) we are working with imperfect data, 2) nutritional science and medicine are still poorly understood fields, 3) individual differences are important and make interpreting and applying existing data that much more difficult, 4) outcomes and hard endpoints are always better than risk factors and biomarkers, but this doesn't fully discredit the latter, and 5) every person is biased in some way regardless of their intentions.

I do keep an open mind, but both me and the data are imperfect. I have my own personal opinions on the matter, but I don't share anything that isn't substantiated by solid evidence unless I say as much. I really don't want to come off as an egotistical academic. I just like to inject balance into these kinds of discussions that seem to often suffer from bias and cognitive dissonance. I'll also admit that I have my preferred interpretation of the state of nutritional knowledge, so take it for what you will. I do love new information, learning, and discovering I've been wrong, and I will readily admit this. There is too much gray to be absolutist in biology.
Here’s 2 examples; both from renowned lipidologists.:

-Here’s Dr. Peter Attia...

-Here’s another, from Dr. Thomas Dayspring...
Peter Attia is not a lipidologist, let alone a renowned one. Educated, yes; lipidologist in any sense outside of personal interest, no. This doesn't disqualify his thoughts on the matter, but context is important. People all too often blindly accept "expert" opinions without question. The simple fact that so many experts in the field, practicing or academic, disagree with each other should be the most obvious debunking of this sort of automatic authority. But I'll repeat again, Attia is a smart guy, but he's not the only one.
http://nusi.org/about-us/a-letter-from- ... oYTdfmkqnc

Dayspring is appropriately labeled a lipidologist in both the practicing and academic sense. I've listened to many of his talks and lectures, and read much of his stuff (as I have with Attia and many others!) and he has an extremely thorough understanding of lipid physiology. I don't think he quite connects this with nutrition and health in all cases (but who does, if anyone even can), but he does a great job most of the time.
http://www.fhit.org/faculty.html

James wrote: Even if ketones proved therapeutic, there's nothing to suggest they are preventative, and evidence to suggest they may be harmful long-term (the whole saturated fat thing).

You might consider reading "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter. He cites over 250 peer-reviewed studies making a strong case that ketones are indeed protective of cognition AND beneficial to heart health. (SFAs don't play a big part in his regimen- think more EVOO and avocados.) Does he extrapolate and suggest that his program works for ∈4s? Not in the book; but during my appointment he stated that ∈4s could benefit the MOST from his recommendations. He believes he is an ∈4 carrier and practices what he preaches in his book.
I see now that how I presented my thought was misleading. Ketogenic diets in practice aren't as protective as cell-culture and wild-type animal studies would indicate. Again, if you're predisposed to certain diseases then a ketogenic diet may be better than a standard diet, but in normal animals a standard diet would be at least as good or better than a ketogenic diet. The question is if a ketogenic diet is beneficially applicable to ApoE4, and I'd posit that it has both therapeutic and preventative limitations, but that it may also be more harmful in ApoE4 than in other disease models, not because of the ketones per se, but because of the nutritional profile of ketogenic diets.

An individual may follow a ketogenic diet without consuming more saturated fats, but you'd be hard pressed to do this in a tolerable way. In general, the more fat you consume, which is necessary on a ketogenic diet, the more saturated fat you will consume because even at a low percentage of calories your total fat (and thus saturated fat) increases. I put this in parenthesis to indicate that it's relevance is debatable, but that I believe it plays at least some significant role.

I am familiar with the research on ketones/etc. I don't discredit his work, but he's presented the data to support his thesis, and readers need to keep this in mind when balancing this source of knowledge and opinion versus others. I have read portions of his book and am very familiar with his guidelines and supporting research. I can point to other books with differing views which have just as much "supporting" research. There is some value to his writing, as with most writings on the topic, but it's not all-inclusive or without its flaws (no book is). Again, just because an authority figure gives advice, and even follows it himself, this does not give further credibility to that advice.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

James, I instinctively love you- a fellow 4/4- devoting his life to figuring out the best prevention strategies for us- with academic chops to boot. We are blessed to have you join the discussion. As an MFT, I have a professionally honed bull-sh@t detector and I have to say, you set off all the alarms with (paraphrasing) “Sure, I’m totally open to hear what those quack jobs have to say.” :lol: I get you. I’m trying to stay open-minded as well. Please call ME on it when I’m not.

To go along with your hypothesis, that ε4s need less fats than other APOE genotypes, I have to suspend what I know about human physiology. I know the human brain is pretty small, about 2% of body weight, but demands 20% of our resting metabolic rate- compared to other organs, it’s a virtual pig. I know it’s comprised of approximately 2/3 fat. I know DHA is the most abundant Omega-3 fatty acid in the brain and it is criticial for normal brain development. I know APOE’s primary function is to transport lipoproteins and fat soluble vitamins. I also know the ε4 allele transports lipids less efficiently than the other APOE genotypes. To buy into your hypothesis (totally supportable by research), I have to believe that ε4 brains have completely different nutritional needs and metabolic demands than those of other APOE genotypes. I’m not there…yet, but, stay tuned, my understanding is constantly evolving :roll: Seriously, I’ve been all over the place with this.

I get how you arrived at your conclusion. Could you inadvertently be missing a slightly bigger picture? When you take into account the idea that our APOE is overall reduced and less efficient at transporting and delivering lipids, is it fair to judge the net effect using the same quantities? For instance, The Three City Study, out of France recently determined that ε4s have to eat 3 times the amount of fish to get the same amount of plasma DHA.
http://www.jlr.org/content/54/9/2559.short I think it’s perfectly reasonable to conduct further research providing ε4s with more DHA before reaching a definite conclusion. I think the same argument can be made for demonstrating benefits of a ketogenic diet, etc.

Duh- thanks for the correction on Peter Attia. I knew that and forgot- seriously. :D I still think he’s got an amazing mind (I’m more into ideas than titles) and has devoted his life to preventing illness- primarily CVD, like Dr. Dayspring. The same can be said of the others I listed- although their careers have been aimed at preventing Alzheimer’s. You REALLY think they simply haven’t read the same research we have? I suspect they have (and then some) and have come to different conclusions..perhaps because they are looking at a bigger picture or even the same picture from a different angle.
Ketogenic diets in practice aren't as protective as cell-culture and wild-type animal studies would indicate. Again, if you're predisposed to certain diseases then a ketogenic diet may be better than a standard diet, but in normal animals a standard diet would be at least as good or better than a ketogenic diet
...But we're not normal "animals," we ARE predisposed to Alzheimer's and there IS evidence this diet could help with prevention. Oddly, it occurs to me that I could substitute CR for “Ketogenic Diet” (in your quote above) and come to the same conclusions. But then I’d be ignoring all that I’ve learned about CR… looking beyond the animal studies. FWIW, I (and Dr. Perlmutter per Grain Brain) am sold on both CR/IF and regularly practice them…albeit the higher fat version 8-) Please consider reading more of "Grain Brain" It may change what you thought you knew about ketoadaptation as it relates to dementia- even for our genotype.
An individual may follow a ketogenic diet without consuming more saturated fats, but you'd be hard pressed to do this in a tolerable way. In general, the more fat you consume, which is necessary on a ketogenic diet, the more saturated fat you will consume because even at a low percentage of calories your total fat (and thus saturated fat) increases. I put this in parenthesis to indicate that it's relevance is debatable, but that I believe it plays at least some significant role.
Per Dr. Perlmutter, I’m not on a ketogenic diet- not sure how you define it. My macronutients ratios are 65% fat, 20% protein, 15% carb. I’m mildly keto-adapted at best. It’s actually pretty easy to get there with low saturated fat (6 tbs EVOO & a nice juicy avocado, plus other misc. fats from eggs, proteins, seeds & nuts,) but should e4s be avoiding saturated fat? That’s a bigger question for us all to explore another day. I limit it for now, but am sort of all over the place with regards to my thinking about that too. :?
The question is if a ketogenic diet is beneficially applicable to ApoE4, and I'd posit that it has both therapeutic and preventative limitations, but that it may also be more harmful in ApoE4 than in other disease models, not because of the ketones per se, but because of the nutritional profile of ketogenic diets.
My plate is almost all vegetables (between 60-70 carbs a day), with small portions of Omega-3 rich proteins, and plant-based fats. So many have such a skewed view of what even a mildly ketogenic diet (like mine) is comprised of- no heavy meats, dairy, SFAs here at the exclusion of antioxidant and fiber rich vegetables. I would argue that my diet is exceptionally nutrient dense. What still remains in question for me… is the heart health compatibility of my diet. Another really important topic I'd love to explore further :?:

I greatly appreciate your input, James. I may very occasionally trespass upon your kindness and ask for help understanding various scientific studies/concepts. As a non-scientist, I very often get stuck. Sigh. I never thought reading ApoE4 research would become my strangely addictive hobby :D Trust me, I'm not totally relying on any one authority figure. I'm doing my own research and questioning everything. I suspect, I'll learn a lot from you.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

if you are talking ketones it is MCT not coconuts, just because it has some NCT it is not the same..

DrP 250 studies I do not believe, more hype I believe.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm in the middle of this thread but don't want to forget posting these thoughts. Sorry if they show up in the posts I haven't read!

EVOO helps *clear* beta amyloid, like turmeric, or at a least I read that online. Haven't scrutinized.

Re coconut oil, blood brain barrier etc, why not straight medium chain triglyceride oil as a supplement - if, that is, you think it's a question of ApoE4s needing a higher dose.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Circ, I'm with you on both points. Back on page one, I mentioned that the two work very differently; EVOO's primary mechanism is reducing amyloid plaque. But interestingly, I found a new study that shows coconut oil MAY work similarly. This is an in vitro study; clearly more work needs to be done...but looks promising.

Coconut Oil Attenuates the Effects of Amyloid-β on Cortical Neurons In Vitro.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24150106
"Dietary supplementation has been studied as an approach to ameliorating deficits associated with aging and neurodegeneration. We undertook this pilot study to investigate the effects of coconut oil supplementation directly on cortical neurons treated with amyloid-β (Aβ) peptide in vitro. Our results indicate that neuron survival in cultures co-treated with coconut oil and Aβ is rescued compared to cultures exposed only to Aβ. Coconut oil co-treatment also attenuates Aβ-induced mitochondrial alterations. The results of this pilot study provide a basis for further investigation of the effects of coconut oil, or its constituents, on neuronal survival focusing on mechanisms that may be involved."

And, yeah, IF one were to try to apply this hypothesis; MCT seems like it would be the better choice.