Michael Lin, MD / Weill Cornell, NYC / Neurology

Share our experiences, one topic per practitioner.
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Michael Lin, MD / Weill Cornell, NYC / Neurology

Post by PRESCOTT »

I was referred to Dr. Lin by the receptionist at the Alzheimer’s prevention clinic at Weill Cornell Medical Center in NYC. I am APOE 4/4 and felt I was experiencing subjective cognitive impairment to some degree. I had read positive reviews of The Alzheimer’s prevention clinic. I visited Dr. Lin just over a week ago. Dr. Lin performed a series of in office cognitive tests following a thorough intake interview. Dr. Lin determined that I have boarder line cognitive issues, he added that my condition is barely boarder line. Dr. Lin was not sure that I needed a six month follow up appointment, given my test results. Dr. Lin suggested that the best and only measures to prevent cognitive decline relative to alzheimer’s disease include at least 8 hours of good sleep per day, as well as a regular cardio workout to increase blood flow to the brain. He referred to a study that determined hippocampus enlargement and improvement through enhanced cardio workouts. I was thrilled to hear all of this and mentioned Dr. Bredesen, his work, my dedication, my happiness, my improvements related to the Bredesen Protocol. Dr. Lin acknowledged Dr. Bredesen, mentioned how Dr. Bredesen is a respected research doctor. Dr. Lin then printed a paper for me on the topic of pseudoscience in the field of medical research. I will not go on regarding the ensuing conversation. I did not find the discussion Dr. Bredesen to be helpful, given my experience of cognitive improvement. Dr. Lin was actually surprised to hear that I found him through the alzheimer’s prevention clinic, as he claims no affiliation to that group, though he is affiliated with Weill Cornell.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Michael Lin, neurologist Weill Cornell, NYC

Post by PBW »

Maybe the meant to refer you to the Alzheimers prevention clinic at Cornell run by DR Richard Isaacson.
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

I wish they had. I take full responsibility for not researching this more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I was thrilled to hear all of this and mentioned Dr. Bredesen, his work, my dedication, my happiness, my improvements related to the Bredesen Protocol. Dr. Lin acknowledged Dr. Bredesen, mentioned how Dr. Bredesen is a respected research doctor. Dr. Lin then printed a paper for me on the topic of pseudoscience in the field of medical research.
First, congratulations on all of your improvements, PRESCOTT. FWIW, the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weil Cornell is well aware of Dr. Bredesen's work and actually has testing to prove it's efficacy. I know a patient who sought services there and was turned down because her cognition (per their own neuropsych testing) was so bad that she didn't qualify for prevention. Out of desperation, she applied Dr. Bredesen's protocol on her own and ultimately experienced a complete reversal of symptoms. She went back to be re-tested. Sure enough, the cognitive decline was gone. The physician that she saw (not Isaacson) then wanted to remove each of the strategies she had applied one by one to pinpoint the "monotherapy" that helped her. Instinctively, she knew that wasn't a good idea. She refused and hasn't returned. I suspect that mainstream clinicians are threatened by Dr. Bredesen's success; hence the JAMA pseudoscience opinion piece. It's very sad to me that clinicians and researchers are squabbling amongst themselves to maintain control (whether their motive is tenure, grants, profit, ego etc) when it's abundantly clear than mainstream medicine currently has nothing to offer. True scientists would at least be curious about Dr. Bredesen's approach rather than simply labelling him a charlatan. Thank you for sharing your story PRESCOTT. I remain hopeful that those in the Alzheimer's community will begin working together for the greater good of the patient, but I suspect that we, as activists, need to demand it, much like the AIDS activists in the 80s.
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

Julie, Thank you so much for your thoughts regarding Dr. Lin, I agree with your sentiments, the visit was an interesting learning experience! I wish I could have seen Dr. Isaacson, or at least one of his like minded colleagues. I was given Dr. Lin’s contact information at the alzheimer’s prevention clinic office, which I had walked into after my first visit with Dr. Pena.

My takeaway from all of this, is mentioning Dr. Bredesen, his protocol, immediately upon making contact, it would certainly save time and resources for all involved. The journey continues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk