Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Post by BrianR »

ScienceDaily summary: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 162529.htm
In the study, published Nov. 6 in the journal Aging Cell, researchers began rats on a diet including low-dose rapamycin at 19 months old (past middle age in rat years). Rapamycin treatment in daily food continued until the mice were of advanced age -- 34 months old -- almost double the age they were when they started treatment. "Essentially this is as old as these rats can get. These animals were very old but still, blood circulation in the brain was exactly the same as when they started treatment," said study senior author Veronica Galvan
For those of you who like the hard stuff, here's the actual [open access] paper:

mTOR drives cerebrovascular, synaptic, and cognitive dysfunction in normative aging
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... acel.13057
Candice E. Van Skike, Ai‐Ling Lin, Raquel Roberts Burbank, Jonathan J. Halloran, Stephen F. Hernandez, James Cuvillier, Vanessa Y. Soto, Stacy A. Hussong, Jordan B. Jahrling, Martin A. Javors, Matthew J. Hart, Kathleen E. Fischer, Steven N. Austad, Veronica Galvan.
Aging Cell, 2019; DOI: 10.1111/acel.13057

Obligatory disclaimer: Rats and humans differ.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Rapa and mTOR the master keys to the castle of aging. Unfortunately unless I get an organ transplant the medical world won’t be handing me out any Rapamycin. I guess it’s IF, calorie and protein restriction/management, Resvertrol,NMN and grape seed extract to hack mTOR.

Great info in the report as it confirms some of my Recent microvascular musings-worries and illustrates how well Rapamycin can stave that off.
Does anyone know what the all cause mortality curve is on Rapamycin compared to say standard life insurance mortality curves?
Thanks for the report Brian!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Kenny4/4 wrote:Rapa and mTOR the master keys to the castle of aging. Unfortunately unless I get an organ transplant the medical world won’t be handing me out any Rapamycin.
Definitely a better approach to use the things you listed. Here is a 2019 study that cautions that rapamycin can't be used long term anyway.
Long-term inhibition of mTOR by rapamycin or latrepirdine also prevents AD-like cognitive deficits and lowers Aβ42 level, reduces amyloid plaques and tau NFTs (McGowan et al., 2005; Caccamo et al., 2010; Spilman et al., 2010; Majumder et al., 2011). Yet it is noteworthy that the mTOR pathway itself is involved in many other critical cellular functions such as gene translation and cell growth. Toxic side-effects on patients can be induced by long-term inhibition of the mTOR pathway. So, rapamycin is not an ideal drug candidate to be considered for long-term use. Novel specific autophagy inducer is urgently needed for the field.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00203/full
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kenny4/4 wrote:Unfortunately unless I get an organ transplant the medical world won’t be handing me out any Rapamycin!
Allan Green MD, who has posted here as alangreenmd (you can search on this as the poster) has a practice prescribing off label use of rapamycin for aging. https://alzheimer-prevention.com/introduction
Tincup
E3,E4
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Tincup wrote:
Kenny4/4 wrote:Unfortunately unless I get an organ transplant the medical world won’t be handing me out any Rapamycin!
Allan Green MD, who has posted here as alangreenmd (you can search on this as the poster) has a practice prescribing off label use of rapamycin for aging. https://alzheimer-prevention.com/introduction
Thanks for the info everyone, Much appreciated. I’ll continue au naturale with my prevention strategies. mTOR does explain a lot of the lower protein society /CR-longevity connection.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

I have been using Rapamycin now for about 6 months for AD prevention and longevity. I have been very pleased so far with the results.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Newtothis3/4 wrote:I have been using Rapamycin now for about 6 months for AD prevention and longevity. I have been very pleased so far with the results.
This is very interesting Newtothis3/4. What improvements have you measured? Any unpleasant side effects? If you don't mind, what's your dosage?
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

Dosage is 5-6mg once a week.
My data is completely subjective. With my understanding of intermittent Rapa for longevity and the many Rapa animal studies that have been done so far, I have some signs it is working (in terms of side effects).
My insulin level has not really changed. Lipids went up from 145 to 200. Increased Crestor from 5mg every other day to every day and TC went back to 145 with low triglycerides (same as before).
I feel like my immune system is much better. Totally subjective, maybe placebo but after this many months most likely a result of improved immunity. Studies have shown Rapa increases the flu vaccine efficacy by 40%. I also had allergies before Rapa and since I’ve started Rapa, they are gone. Wound healing seems a bit slowed which is to be expected. I don’t have huge cuts or lacerations, but a scratch seems to take about twice as long to heal. I use medical marijuana and have always had problems with how some strains made me anxious, etc. So much, that I could only use one type. With Rapa, I can use any strain, as much as I want, and only feel the relaxing and therapeutic effects. The study Dissociation of the Pharmacological Effects of THC by mTOR Blockade shows “Therefore, mTOR inhibition by temsirolimus allows the segregation of the potentially beneficial effects of cannabinoid agonists, such as the anxiolytic and antinociceptive effects, from the negative effects, such as anxiogenic- and amnesic-like responses.” Meaning, the mice got high, still got the pain relief and didn’t get any anxiety or short-term memory loss from marijuana and Rapa combo. I must be like the mice because my experience has been the very same.
My body composition seems to be changing a bit more as well. I am in very good shape, but the very last fat left on my abdomen has been going away without any other change in diet or excercise. That never has happened and I speculate it is a result of my body being in autophagy.
So, all my observations are subjective. The anti-cancer and AD prevention benefits are taking place at the cellular level, 24/7. They are occurring as evidenced by the observations I’ve seen which support the notion my Mtor1 is down and I am in autophagy.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

SusanJ wrote:
Kenny4/4 wrote:Rapa and mTOR the master keys to the castle of aging. Unfortunately unless I get an organ transplant the medical world won’t be handing me out any Rapamycin.
Definitely a better approach to use the things you listed. Here is a 2019 study that cautions that rapamycin can't be used long term anyway.
Long-term inhibition of mTOR by rapamycin or latrepirdine also prevents AD-like cognitive deficits and lowers Aβ42 level, reduces amyloid plaques and tau NFTs (McGowan et al., 2005; Caccamo et al., 2010; Spilman et al., 2010; Majumder et al., 2011). Yet it is noteworthy that the mTOR pathway itself is involved in many other critical cellular functions such as gene translation and cell growth. Toxic side-effects on patients can be induced by long-term inhibition of the mTOR pathway. So, rapamycin is not an ideal drug candidate to be considered for long-term use. Novel specific autophagy inducer is urgently needed for the field.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00203/full
Intermittent Rapa does not cause any of the side effects known with daily dosing of Rapa. The reason is that daily dosing is required to keep a trough level high enough to cause both Mtor1 AND Mtor2 to go down. With intermittent, only Mtor1 goes down and leaves Mtor2 untouched.
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

Just an update on my rapamycin AD prevention therapy. Labs taken at beginning and 6 months later, show slight improvement in fasting blood sugar (100 vs 109), insulin level is stable (4.4) A1C is unchanged (5.5). Kidney and liver function while already in optimal range, slightly improved. As an experiment of 1, my labs are in line with the use of Rapa as an anti-aging therapy (no insulin resistance or other negative side effect outcomes seen with daily organ transplant patients).

I have no financial interest in Rapamycin therapy. I actually read about Rapamycin from this site for the first time, which has lead me to use it as an AD prevention medicine, today (Anti-cancer and longevity benefits are just a bonus!) I feel that if I can help just one more person to go down the “Rapa rabbit hole” for AD prevention, than these posts are worth it. If you’re in your 40s,50s or even 60s are E4 positive and have not shown signs of AD, Rapa can mitigate the disease from even ever manifesting. The scientific papers are out there confirming all these statements. Empirical data not just hypothesis and speculation.