Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Post by TheresaB »

grommet wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:10 pm What are y’all paying for Rapa for off-label use? I’ve read it can be several hundred $ a month? Both me and the wife are both double 4s so it could add up to be a small car payment!
How about half off? According to this article published in Neuroscience News Anti-aging Drug Rapamycin Might Only Benefit Females:
The anti-aging drug Rapamycin only prolongs the lifespan of females according to research using fruit fly and mouse models. Rapamycin increased autophagy in female intestinal cells, but not in males. Findings suggest biological sex may be a crucial factor in the effectiveness of anti-aging drugs.
Or how about 100% off? Rapamycin mimics the effect of calorie restriction, so you can get the benefit with calorie restriction.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

grommet wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:10 pm What are y’all paying for Rapa for off-label use? I’ve read it can be several hundred $ a month? The wife and I are both double 4s so it could add up to be a small car payment!
For a good discussion of all things Rapa, go here.
Specifically on pricing and sources, see here and list of reliable online pharmacies.
Tincup
E3,E4
vbvbvb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vbvbvb »

Karina52 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:21 am 4/4 and going on 70 (later this year). Cognitively in great shape.
Started rapamycin last November as prescribed by Dr. Alan Green in NY as an AD preventative measure.
Feeling wonderful and worrying less these days that I might lose my "marbles". I find that overall, it makes me feel great.
Wish there were some actual trials being conducted on 4/4's and rapamycin. I believe it holds great promise.
Have had no side effects except 1 mouth sore the first time I took it.
Hi Karina,
How is your experience with Rapa so far? Any updates?
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

I continue to take rapamycin (Sirolimus). Dr. Green has increased my dose to 8mg a week, although I often still take just 6mg. It's been 14 months now. With anything putting me at risk of infection from its impact on the innate immune system (such as my recent cataract surgery), I temporarily stop it for a few weeks. I keep a 5-day course of azithromycin on hand but I have never had to use it. I had one mouth sore the very first week I took rapa, but have had no other side effects whatsoever.....except a marked improvement in overall wellbeing and outlook (could be a placebo effect?). Between rapa, and the other preventative measures I take, my memory and mood is better than it was before I learned of my 4/4 status 4 years ago. Now 70, life is very good!! Dr. Green calls the prescription in to my pharmacy and I pay about $220 for a 10 week supply. I get the enteric coated triangular-shaped tabs and would avoid any doctor (there are a few out there!) who make a living off prescribing rapamycin and supplying the meds in capsule form. From what I have read, rapa is likely destroyed in the stomach before you assimilate it if not coated. So thankful we live in a time where any information we seek is at our fingertips and I'm equally thankful I found out my 4/4 status, even though I initially thought it was a curse :)
vbvbvb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vbvbvb »

Karina52 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:39 am I continue to take rapamycin (Sirolimus). Dr. Green has increased my dose to 8mg a week, although I often still take just 6mg. It's been 14 months now. With anything putting me at risk of infection from its impact on the innate immune system (such as my recent cataract surgery), I temporarily stop it for a few weeks. I keep a 5-day course of azithromycin on hand but I have never had to use it. I had one mouth sore the very first week I took rapa, but have had no other side effects whatsoever.....except a marked improvement in overall wellbeing and outlook (could be a placebo effect?). Between rapa, and the other preventative measures I take, my memory and mood is better than it was before I learned of my 4/4 status 4 years ago. Now 70, life is very good!! Dr. Green calls the prescription in to my pharmacy and I pay about $220 for a 10 week supply. I get the enteric coated triangular-shaped tabs and would avoid any doctor (there are a few out there!) who make a living off prescribing rapamycin and supplying the meds in capsule form. From what I have read, rapa is likely destroyed in the stomach before you assimilate it if not coated. So thankful we live in a time where any information we seek is at our fingertips and I'm equally thankful I found out my 4/4 status, even though I initially thought it was a curse :)
Thanks Karina, much appreciated for the detailed feedback. This is super encouraging and i truely feel the same way for your last sentence - "So thankful we live in a time where any information we seek is at our fingertips and I'm equally thankful I found out my 4/4 status, even though I initially thought it was a curse :)".
LondonGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LondonGirl »

hi -I am having my first appointment with Dr Green next month. I am 54, 4/4 and found out a couple of years ago through 23& me, but sort of ignored it at first, then got really frightened... Then I decided to do something about it and am studying biomedicine... Also started weight training and eating a very different diet. 30+ plants a week, EV olive oil, berries, nuts, greens, oily fish and my microbiome is fantastic now (had it tested). I am really excited about trying rapacmycin. I take simvastatin as it seems more efficacious, particularly for e4 carriers. I take a lot of antioxidants/flavenoids etc like quercetin, benfotiamine and am about to start homotaurine. I take a GLP1 agonist (semaglutide) for the anti-inflammatory effects and glucose lowering although my HbA1c is very good. Highly recommend a continuous glucose monitor to see what those starchy foods do ! it is shocking and the data makes you really think twice about reaching for the sweet/starchy stuff. Not that I am an angel but I eat a lot less cake than I used to. This is all a bit of a regurgitation but honestly my friends all just look perplexed when I talk about this stuff, so I try not to. Anyone got any tricks to make themselves do cardio ? I walk and lift but find cardio v dull...
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

LondonGirl wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:35 pm hi -I am having my first appointment with Dr Green next month. I am 54, 4/4 and found out a couple of years ago through 23& me, but sort of ignored it at first, then got really frightened... Then I decided to do something about it and am studying biomedicine... Also started weight training and eating a very different diet. 30+ plants a week, EV olive oil, berries, nuts, greens, oily fish and my microbiome is fantastic now (had it tested). I am really excited about trying rapacmycin. I take simvastatin as it seems more efficacious, particularly for e4 carriers. I take a lot of antioxidants/flavenoids etc like quercetin, benfotiamine and am about to start homotaurine. I take a GLP1 agonist (semaglutide) for the anti-inflammatory effects and glucose lowering although my HbA1c is very good. Highly recommend a continuous glucose monitor to see what those starchy foods do ! it is shocking and the data makes you really think twice about reaching for the sweet/starchy stuff. Not that I am an angel but I eat a lot less cake than I used to. This is all a bit of a regurgitation but honestly my friends all just look perplexed when I talk about this stuff, so I try not to. Anyone got any tricks to make themselves do cardio ? I walk and lift but find cardio v dull...
LondonGirl -- Wow, you are doing really well! Regarding cardio: Are there times you take the car or public transportation when you might as well have walked or biked? I try to walk as much as possible. I also watch lengthy videos on my laptop when on the treadmill at home. Anyway: nicely done!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
LondonGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LondonGirl »

hi, its a constant effort! I live in central london so barely drive 1500 miles a year...So walking is built in but sometimes I do a long walk on the weekend, say 5-7k but it's flat.. it is death defying to cycle in London, just terrifying (and also many london cyclists go very fast. I keepsaying I am going to go for a jog, but it is still on the to do list !