apoe4.info in other languages

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

apoe4.info in other languages

Post by Gilgamesh »

I'm getting a lot of vitamin G here (Gratitude) -- one of the pillars of my cognitive health strategy. :D
Speaking of cognitive health, I wonder whether we could install language packs for a few major non-English languages -- Spanish, French, perhaps even Mandarin?? Good for cog. health, and, in addition, it would help make our community more international (though people would have to know minimal English to contribute -- but they likely would, if they found out about our site).

I've got an unexpected window of free time for a few days (then travel, chaos, deadlines...). I'd be happy to do this, or help do it!

[A few mins. later -->]

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/tran ... onorifics/

Looks like something I could actually do!

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: apoe4.info in other languages

Post by Julie G »

Nice :D
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

The only thing the language packs do is translate headings, button text etc. It does not translate posts, so whatever gets typed gets displayed as such in no matter what language you choose to log in. Also, each language pack needs to be downloaded and installed separately, which also means that for some customization's done, they need to be incorporated into every language pack as well, not a trivial task unless you are targeting specific languages.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Ski wrote:The only thing the language packs do is translate headings, button text etc. It does not translate posts, so whatever gets typed gets displayed as such in no matter what language you choose to log in.
Oh, goodness, I wasn't expecting auto-translation of my own or other members' text! Just button names, menu names, etc., just like the Spanish version of Thunderbird or something. I find these alt. language versions really, really helpful (and fun!). I learned something new everyday when I first started using programs in foreign languages. After that, continued use reinforced what I'd learned.

Also, it can be really intimidating for people who don't speak English as a foreign language to see "Search", "User Control Panel", etc., in a foreign language -- even if they know English fairly well.

But if it's a lot of work to do this, and you can't farm it out to me or someone else, I 100% respect your not wanting to deal with it!

GB