Hello!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hello!

Post by mike »

NF52 wrote:If we get to that point, I would hope insurance would pay for it. In the meantime, I'm a great believer in lifestyle interventions!
Thanks for the detailed response NF52 - Like others have said, you are one of the gems on this site! I've been busy (or I would have provided links on my prior post...), but I will look at what you presented as soon as I can and respond. I'm also a great believer in lifestyle interventions, but I believe we should encourage it sooner rather than only later. I also think with current research (will get the links soon), regarding neuron loss prior to AD symptoms, that MRIs should be standard for any E4 carrier at age 50 to get a baseline. It was a huge relief to me after 20+ years of diabetes to learn that I had not already let the horse out of the barn, so to speak :(
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hello!

Post by mike »

NF52 wrote: So I'm reluctant to suggest someone spend $1500 on an MRI that may not show whether their brain shows a difference from the "norm" for their age, or a difference from their own brain 1, 5 or 10 years ago.
Here are some links that suggest imaging could be helpful in predicting AD

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia ... -diagnosis

"Neuroimaging is regularly used today for early detection of Alzheimer’s. Research continues to evolve on promising new and advanced brain imaging techniques."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... it-appears

"The bottom line
New research finds that measurable physical changes that indicate an increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease may appear years, if not decades, before symptoms show.

This is important because by the time a person experiences cognitive issues, severe damage has already occurred in the brain.

While we can’t change genetic risk, there are things you can do to reduce the risk such as maintaining a healthy weight, eating a lower-fat diet, and getting enough exercise."
Sonoma Mike
4/4