Einkorn Sprouted Wheat

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Einkorn Sprouted Wheat

Post by Jan18 »

Does anyone have experience with Einkorn Sprouted Wheat?

I recently learned that it is one of the original unprocessed wheats (or similar to the original wheats) our ancestors used to eat. I see that you can buy the product and make sourdough out of it (though the sites I read are by experienced, if not professional, bakers and seem challenging, something that would take a lot of experience to get right.) But I found places online from which to buy it, too. (Not cheap.)

I've lately read too much about the warnings of too much almond products in our diets -- almond flours, almond milks, regular almonds, almond butter -- which can overload us with way too much Omega 6. (Great. I have tons of expensive almond flour in the pantry, because I'd planned to try more recipes with it during this stay-at-home coronavirus period.)

Is Einkorn Sprouted Wheat okay for us or would we only individually know that by testing? The source of my information on the bread touts it as nutritionally similar (or exact?) to our early breads and therefore not as unhealthy as our processed wheat today. Does anyone have any other types of bread that we can have? I've given up all wheat products and grains, except for this bakery sourdough I found that is "real" sourdough (not on a grocery shelf) with only 3-5 ingredients. (Basically, the starter, unbleached hard flour, water and salt.)

I would limit that to one piece on a day I chose to have bread. But today, after glucose 83, ketones .8 and feeling energetic and mentally clear most of the day, I ate a piece of that bread with organic almond butter and just two sliced strawberries and coffee after a 16 hour usual fast. Within 45 minutes, I felt groggy and sleepy. So I assume it's the bread? An hour and a half after eating, my glucose was 116 and ketones .2.

I cannot envision a life without a little bit of bread (though if it turns out it has to be, I will do it). Then I learned about the Einkorn Sprouted Wheat.

Anyone?
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Einkorn Sprouted Wheat

Post by thumperama »

My wife and I purchased Einkorn flour about a decade ago. I don’t recall if it was sprouted, but I’m not sure that matters. We may a couple of batches of bread and it was a bit different than modern wheat but not remarkable, meaning the bread was quite good.
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

Jan18 wrote:Does anyone have experience with Einkorn Sprouted Wheat?
I've lately read too much about the warnings of too much almond products in our diets -- almond flours, almond milks, regular almonds, almond butter -- which can overload us with way too much Omega 6. (Great. I have tons of expensive almond flour in the pantry, because I'd planned to try more recipes with it during this stay-at-home coronavirus period.)

I would limit that to one piece on a day I chose to have bread....I cannot envision a life without a little bit of bread (though if it turns out it has to be, I will do it). Then I learned about the Einkorn Sprouted Wheat. Anyone?
I don't have experience with einkorn sprouted wheat (yet!) but have recently begun researching how to use sprouted spelt flour, which is similar. I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

It sounds like you have a really healthy perspective on eating bread and wonder have you tried eating it at the end of your meal, instead of on an empty stomach, and see if it has a different effect?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

MicheleCC wrote:
I don't have experience with einkorn sprouted wheat (yet!) but have recently begun researching how to use sprouted spelt flour, which is similar. I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

It sounds like you have a really healthy perspective on eating bread and wonder have you tried eating it at the end of your meal, instead of on an empty stomach, and see if it has a different effect?
Hi Michele!
Yes, please keep me posted on your sprouted spelt flour. Can you make sourdough with that? I only want to make a sourdough, as the fermenting process helps it to be a bread that doesn't raise glucose fast.

As far as when I eat it, it's really only one of two ways: Toasted with almond butter and a couple of sliced strawberries (in lieu of Polaner's all fruit jelly, which has too many carbs even though it has no added sugar.) OR toasted, sprayed with lemon-flavored EVOO, and layered on top with cooked spinach, half of an avocado mashed with 1 T. of ground flaxseed, a tsp of the lemon-flavored EVOO, and a squirt of fresh lemon juice, and then an egg on top. Pepper on the egg and avocado, no salt. I love it! It has been SUCH a challenge for me to find/create recipes that fit this protocol that aren't laden with saturated fat. Giving up the bread would be so much easier if I could still have cheese and the amount of dairy the "old" style of keto included, but we Apoe4's are supposed to watch our saturated fat, too, so I eat a bare minimum of dairy.

And after I wrote that post, I realized that I don't think I get foggy-brained or sleepy when I eat the bread that way and I don't get hungry all day -- 6-7 hours until dinner. I'm going to try it that way tomorrow and see if it's the added veggies, good fats, and protein (and fiber) that mitigate the effect of the bread. I'll let you know on that!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

thumperama wrote:My wife and I purchased Einkorn flour about a decade ago. I don’t recall if it was sprouted, but I’m not sure that matters. We may a couple of batches of bread and it was a bit different than modern wheat but not remarkable, meaning the bread was quite good.
Great to know, Thumperama!

What is the carb count of the bread you make and is it total Einkorn or mixed with some other flour? Just saw three or four great YouTube videos by Jovial Foods (who sells Einkorn) about making sourdough starter, sourdough rounds as well as loaf bread, and bagels with the flour.

If I've correctly copied and pasted the link, here is one showing how to make the round. It's tricky, because as you have undoubtedly discovered, the dough is very sticky! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlq1VLXH8gc
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

Jan18 wrote:Does anyone have experience with Einkorn Sprouted Wheat?
I can't cite any research data on nutritional content or digestibility without doing a little digging, but the general consensus (in my world) is that sprouted grain is similar to sourdough in terms of digestibility, but sprouted grain breads are lower glycemic. Probably because it's hard to make a good sourdough with sprouted grain alone. That would be a double ferment.

I recently made my own sourdough starter with rye flour and made a couple great loaves of bread, only to discover that I cannot digest sourdough (stomach pain). I had the same problem years ago, but thought somehow things might have changed. Nope. What I can digest is sprouted grain bread AND long ferment (12-18 hr) breads. So you have the glycemic reaction to bread and I have the non-digestibility reaction. I wonder if sprouted whole grain bread will be our common ground? Have you tested yourself with any sprouted breads?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

Hi MicheleCC,
I been eating Einkorn berries for breakfast (soaked overnight) and also grinding the berries for fresh flour. It was a real challenge at first backing with Einkorn. It doesn't absorb liquid as well a modern wheat, and it doesn't rise as high (lower gluten content). I can know make delicious muffins (adding yogurt helps to get a better rise). As far as making bread, it's been tough. But I haven't given up. I'm waiting for yeast to arrive in the mail to start making artisan bread with a long ferment.

I do love Einkorn. The author of the book "Wheat Berry" made two batches of muffins with wheat flour- one with Einkorn and one with modern wheat. He experienced no ill effect with the muffins made with Einkorn but experienced ill effects from the modern wheat (it's in the book). Everyone is different though. Many claim they can now eat wheat if it's Einkorn. For me, I don't think wheat is a problem for me.

I've bought Jovial Einkorn berries (good source), but now I'm using Einkorn berries from Einkorn.com. They ship promptly. And I like their berries. I bought 21 pounds of berries from them. My next adventure is to sprout them to grow wheat grass for juicing.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

I've used sprouted spelt and regular einkorn in sourdough breads. Buckwheat too, which isn't even a wheat, and gives me a feeling of no blood sugar hit - an impression, no measurements.

Here's a recipe and you can search this website for gluten-free buckwheat bread (fermented) and whole grain sourdough spelt bread too. I've had success substituting regular spelt flour with sprouted spelt flour and not using honey. Also instructions on how to sprout grains.

https://breadtopia.com/naturally-leaven ... orn-bread/
Rosemary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rosemary »

Hi FitFoodie,
Thank you for the link to breadtopia.com. I just quickly glanced at the website (looks good!). I look forward to checking it out. I'm alway happy to hear about people's sprouting activities!! I've attached a link with nutritional information on sprouted wheat.

https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Wheat%2C ... value.html
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

Well you folks are WAY more talented than I am. I think everything you are baking sounds awesome. I am not much of a baker, but occasionally eat the Food for Life frozen sprouted breads sold in the freezer section. They have lots of products. I think 2 kinds of sliced breads that are not gluten free, and some that are gluten free via almonds. I am honestly not sure of the blood sugar spike related to consuming them but will check that out. I enjoy a slice with avocado or almond butter once every few weeks. I am sure your home made options would be better!