Targets for Ketosis using BioSense

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Targets for Ketosis using BioSense

Post by Richard McG »

Ok, would love to have a none Keto OMAD!

My blood ketone is definitely lower after my meal. I have not done a biosense within 1 hour of a meal though yet. The closest was 2 hours. Will do that for sure today.
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My blood ketone is definitely lower after my meal. I have not done a biosense within 1 hour of a meal though yet. The closest was 2 hours. Will do that for sure today.
Can't wait to see your results. If (big if) it is significantly lower, it likely indicates the meter is working well and you are just one of those folks who are well fat-adapted and storing less BHB- good news! On the other hand, if it's still crazy high, it may indicate something else...
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Well, we didn't have apples in the kitchen last ones the young fella had.

My WIfe gave me a nice banana instead. High GI she said haha.
Tasted great haven't had on in a year. One hour later 40 ACEs. Hmmm. So then went and had a booster juice (raspberry) with the family!! Haven't had one of those in over 6 months. One hour later 40ACE.

Both times I made my son and wife have the same items. They scored 1 and 2 respectively on the above items yesterday. Today took my blood 2 hours after getting up a lousy .03 blew again on the biosense. 40 !

Firmware is up to date.

When I bought the biosense sometime ago........tried it out but never seemed to match my blood work. I will try the formula that I didn't have back then. Easy to do since all the ACE markers are 40 :)
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My WIfe gave me a nice banana instead. High GI she said haha.
Tasted great haven't had on in a year. One hour later 40 ACEs. Hmmm. So then went and had a booster juice (raspberry) with the family!! Haven't had one of those in over 6 months. One hour later 40ACE.
Whoa! That’s very telling. Next step, please contact customer service if you haven’t already. They can do a remote check-up to see if your device is working. If it is, we are learning something from your experience; not sure what yet but I’m a curious student. I’m also friends with the CEO and very eager to get to the bottom of this. Please let us know what you learn.

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing your BMI, estimated body fat, HbA1c, fasting insulin, etc.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Richard McG wrote:Today took my blood 2 hours after getting up a lousy .03 blew again on the biosense. 40 !
Assume you mean 0.3 on the blood BHB? Dave Asprey interviewed Mark Mattson PhD who formerly ran a lab at the NIA. Mattson notes the benefits of BHB levels even sub 0.3, which can only be detected on lab equipment (in my link there is a link to a transcript, so you can read & seach instead of listen).

This shows the variability of acetone with respect to BHB. Not the Y-Axis is a log 10 scale. Wonder if BioSense's Aces are on a log scale so they can have a relatively linear relationship to BHB?

Source
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

When I bought the biosense sometime ago........tried it out but never seemed to match my blood work. I will try the formula that I didn't have back then. Easy to do since all the ACE markers are 40 :)
One other wild idea that might fit; are you by any chance using hand sanitizers prior to testing? As you may know, they contain acetone and have been found to dramatically increase readings.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

This shows the variability of acetone with respect to BHB. Not the Y-Axis is a log 10 scale. Wonder if BioSense's Aces are on a log scale so they can have a relatively linear relationship to BHB?
I'm guessing it's not a log 10 scale because of the 1-2 hour lag between BHB and ACEs. Sound right?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:I'm guessing it's not a log 10 scale because of the 1-2 hour lag between BHB and ACEs. Sound right?
My understanding is that acetoacetate is made by the liver, as a product of fat metabolism. Acetone is a byproduct of that process. Excess acetoacetate can be converted to BHB. Hence BHB is the sum of previous BHB plus new BHB from acetoacetate less any BHB used, a mass balance. BHB can be converted back to acetoacetate for use.

Back in 2016, I posted this., which includes graphical data from the last 3 days of a 5 day water fast. Note the acetone is constant till day 5 and BHB is just increasing as time goes on.

In my Ketonix experience, when I was say at day 5 or 7 of a water fast, everything was high: BHB, acetone & urine excess acetoacetate.
Tincup
E3,E4
patrickoleary
New User
New User

Post by patrickoleary »

BioSense says I am at 36 ACEs which means DEEP level of Ketosis.

I bought a KetoMojo also, and it registered me at 0.6 mmol/L which means low to moderate level of Ketosis.

When I enter an ACE value manually into KetoMojo, it says that 36 ACE is low and the scale goes up to a few hundred. Biosense when I get above 40 just says HI.

I’m trying to make sense of it all, because it feels conflicting.

I should also say that I had a horrible diet filled with carbs. Very much overweight. When I got the BioSense, I was at 0 on the meter until about a week in of eating right. Then, raised to 1, then 2, then bounced up and down between 2-7 for another 1-2 weeks. Then, up to 12-15 over the next week. Then, I got to 27 and have been in the 30's - HI ever since. So, I feel like the BioSense is working. Plus, I'm down 30 lbs in about a month. I just got the KetoMojo today and got the 0.6.

Any insight?
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ro.oconnor »

patrickoleary wrote:BioSense says I am at 36 ACEs which means DEEP level of Ketosis.

I bought a KetoMojo also, and it registered me at 0.6 mmol/L which means low to moderate level of Ketosis.

When I enter an ACE value manually into KetoMojo, it says that 36 ACE is low and the scale goes up to a few hundred. Biosense when I get above 40 just says HI.

I’m trying to make sense of it all, because it feels conflicting.

I should also say that I had a horrible diet filled with carbs. Very much overweight. When I got the BioSense, I was at 0 on the meter until about a week in of eating right. Then, raised to 1, then 2, then bounced up and down between 2-7 for another 1-2 weeks. Then, up to 12-15 over the next week. Then, I got to 27 and have been in the 30's - HI ever since. So, I feel like the BioSense is working. Plus, I'm down 30 lbs in about a month. I just got the KetoMojo today and got the 0.6.

Any insight?
Hello, patrickoleary and welcome to the ApoE4.Info website!

It sounds like you have had success with the BioSense and made some great strides in your health journey! I do not have any specific insight into KetoMojo or BioSense but I know that there are many others here with a wealth of experience and information that may respond to your post.

As a new user you may find the How-to Guide helpful in navigating the website. Another good resource is the Primer. And finally, you may be interested in visiting Our Stories. There you can browse the stories of other members and if you are comfortable, share your own.

I hope that you will continue to find the site helpful. If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the website, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach

ApoE 3/4