Wrestling with all the food recommendations

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
waltezell
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wrestling with all the food recommendations

Post by waltezell »

Julie G wrote:
In the new Bredesen book there is a lot about what to eat and how food affects us. The elimination diet is just one part of it.
I'm sorry the book has you feeling overwhelmed, waltezell. I assume that you understand that not everyone has to conduct an elimination diet. It's ONLY recommended if you have any chronic GI issues that aren't resolved by using the strategies described in chapter 9. Also, in case you missed it, we do provide simple instructions for "how-to" conduct an elimination diet on page 131. I'm unsure if your version of the diet is compatible with KetoFLEX 12/3 (?)

Keep in mind that it's extraordinarily common to have unidentified food sensitivities and an elimination diet (if you need it) often reveals surprising and helpful information. Hang in there, my friend.
I'm not clear on what you're saying. Elimination diet "often" reveals helpful information about "unidentified food sensitivities," but it is "ONLY" recommended for people with "chronic GI issues" unresolved by other strategies.

My understanding is that the elimination diet would uncover causes of inflammation, which in my case seem most clearly expressed as arthritis pain, not GI issues.

I don't want to rush into the highly rigorous 60-day elimination diet unnecessarily, but my plan was to jump on it Sept. 28 so as to be mostly done before Thanksgiving.

The nearest ReCODE-trained MD is 70 miles away in the next state, but it might be worth a few visits, even if Medicare won't pay for them.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm not clear on what you're saying. Elimination diet "often" reveals helpful information about "unidentified food sensitivities," but it is "ONLY" recommended for people with "chronic GI issues" unresolved by other strategies.

The most common symptoms of food sensitivities tend to be GI-related as outlined here, but you're absolutely correct that additional symptoms like pain, skin conditions, upper respiratory and more can also be present. FWIW, I also used to have widespread body pain before excluding grains from my diet. Out of curiosity, are you still eating them?
I don't want to rush into the highly rigorous 60-day elimination diet unnecessarily, but my plan was to jump on it Sept. 28 so as to be mostly done before Thanksgiving.

Understood and I like your plan of finishing before Thanksgiving. If you decide to seek the assistance of a physician, any functional medicine physician can assist you with an elimination diet. You needn't find one that is trained by Dr. Bredesen. You can find a search engine here.
waltezell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by waltezell »

Reporting back two years later: I did the Elimination Diet from the book by the same name. I discovered sensitivity to dairy and decided as well to minimize gluten though not eliminate it completely.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

waltezell wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:29 pm Reporting back two years later: I did the Elimination Diet from the book by the same name. I discovered sensitivity to dairy and decided as well to minimize gluten though not eliminate it completely.
Hi waltezell, I just came across this post of yours this evening, weeks after you posted it. Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience. How long were you on the Elimination Diet? Did you do the full “ highly rigorous 60 day” program? Has dietary changes you’ve made since discovering your sensitivities improved your arthritis?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Arthritis pain may be a sign of gluten intolerance. Glad you have mostly stopped eating it.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Arthritis pain may be a sign of gluten intolerance. Glad you have mostly stopped eating it.
Completely agree, Plumster. Giving up gluten (and most grains) cured my widespread body pain, including osteoarthritis.
Reporting back two years later: I did the Elimination Diet from the book by the same name. I discovered sensitivity to dairy and decided as well to minimize gluten though not eliminate it completely.
Congratulations on completing the elimination diet, waltezell. Dairy is one of the most inflammatory foods and almost 70% of folks are sensitive dairy. How is your arthritis now?