Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Post by DebbieG »

Hi All,

My parents recently got the Prodrome blood scan, after which we met with Dr. Goodenowe. Mom and Dad are doing a very conscientious job following the Bredesen protocol to the best of their ability, and the results showed good numbers for most categories. I felt their results confirmed the value of their work with the protocol. The areas where they were low are gastrointestinal tract acids (they were almost the same) and for Mom (APOE 3/4), total choline plasmolagens were in the 18th percentile. They've ordered supplements from Prodrome.

Dr. Goodenowe explained the blood scan results very well, and pointed out a couple of other things they should do, including strength exercises. He described this as waking up the muscles, a description of the result of exercise that I really liked.

What we didn't ask: is it likely that Mom, age 86, will experience improved cognition, or is it more probable that plasmalogens will just arrest the advance of symptoms? It doesn't seem like there is research on improvements in the elderly. Does anyone have any information about this?

Also, for anyone who's had these tests and is willing to share, how do Mom's choline plasmalogens compare to those you saw, and if you've been retested, how much did your plasmolagens improve? I understand these results may differ among individuals.

Debbie
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Post by floramaria »

DebbieG wrote:Hi All,
What we didn't ask: is it likely that Mom, age 86, will experience improved cognition, or is it more probable that plasmalogens will just arrest the advance of symptoms? It doesn't seem like there is research on improvements in the elderly. Does anyone have any information about this?
Debbie
I don’t have an answer or any experience to offer, but I have been wondering about this. Are plasmalogens able to reverse symptoms in individuals who are already experiencing significant cognitive impairment? That’s a very important question.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:Do plasmalogen precursor supplements supplant need for choline?
From original post above, "The areas where they were low... Mom (APOE 3/4), total choline plasmalogens were in the 18th percentile."

So perhaps.
Tincup
E3,E4
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Hi Debbie
Our experience with our own supplements is that reversal of A.D. does take place. The person in question was a lawyer and he had AD to the extent that he couldn't continue with his business. After being on the supplement for a couple of months he has returned to his business, repurchased his scuba gear and is diving again. He also drove to Auckland and back (from Tauranga and alone, five hours driving in total) ) without problems. His wife is ecstatic with the change. I am not touting for business, quite the reverse in fact, I will not sell to any forum members without the go-ahead from this Board and under any conditions that they may impose.
MoJoe
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

MoJoe wrote: Our experience with our own supplements is that reversal of A.D. does take place.
MoJoe
Hi MoJoe. That is wonderful success story. Great to hear. Would you clarify “our own supplements”? Are you talking about your experience with supplements made by Prodrome or do you have your own supplement line?

Oh, I just found the answer, reading through one of your earlier posts: “ We are a supplement manufacturer primarily involved with lipids and plasmalogens.”
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Thanks, its a very interesting field and I remain confused how NeuroRegain at 0.5 mg plasmalogens per capsule. appears to work and Goodenowe advocates a much larger dose daily, several hundredfold more. We are dealing with a large pharmaceutical company and the CEO and owner is frustrated with me when I cannot categorically specify a daily dose. Time will tell.
MoJoe
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

MoJoe wrote:Thanks, its a very interesting field and I remain confused how NeuroRegain at 0.5 mg plasmalogens per capsule. appears to work and Goodenowe advocates a much larger dose daily, several hundredfold more. We are dealing with a large pharmaceutical company and the CEO and owner is frustrated with me when I cannot categorically specify a daily dose. Time will tell.
MoJoe
My understanding is Goodenowe suggests testing and prescribing based on results. Want E4's in ~80 th centile as I recall. E 2's & 3's can get away with lower centiles and be fine.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Does anyone know if there have been studies showing how much blood plasmolagens fluctuate on average during, say, a twenty-four hour period, all other things being equal (ideally but not probably). Is there a certain time of day established to be the best time to test to catch their expected lowest level?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:Does anyone know if there have been studies showing how much blood plasmolagens fluctuate on average during, say, a twenty-four hour period, all other things being equal (ideally but not probably). Is there a certain time of day established to be the best time to test to catch their expected lowest level?
I do not, but I do know they respond to, for example, exercise. Steven Munatones was tested using Dayan's tests before and after KAATSU blood flow restriction training. From an analysis of his results: 8/19 results improved significantly in the plasmalogen metrics over his 5/19 results. The key measures, PLE and PLC, moved from the 36th and 23rd to the 59th and 69th percentiles, respectively.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
circular wrote:Does anyone know if there have been studies showing how much blood plasmolagens fluctuate on average during, say, a twenty-four hour period, all other things being equal (ideally but not probably). Is there a certain time of day established to be the best time to test to catch their expected lowest level?
I do not, but I do know they respond to, for example, exercise. Steven Munatones was tested using Dayan's tests before and after KAATSU blood flow restriction training. From an analysis of his results: 8/19 results improved significantly in the plasmalogen metrics over his 5/19 results. The key measures, PLE and PLC, moved from the 36th and 23rd to the 59th and 69th percentiles, respectively.
Thank you for that. I also had been interested in how effective exercise alone is (of course depending on the type, duration etc.).

I can't seem to find how many scallops one would need to eat a day to get 1 mg of plasmalogens, just to compare to NeuroRegain which itself is too expensive for me, let alone Prodrome.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.