Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Post by Jlhughette »

floramaria wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:55 pm On my second ProdromeScan, most of my biomarkers… including for plasmalogens… were worse after my year and a half of taking ProdromeNeuro, ProdromeGlia, and GTA. I was shocked!!
I’ll be very interested to see what Dr Goodenowe has to say about this and what he recommends for me going forward. With the exception of adding the Prodrome supplements, my diet and supplements have stayed generally the same. Only changes I can think of are that I discontinued Cod Liver Oil and relaxed my ketogenic diet a little.
I am wondering why this might be. Let us know what your learn. I’ve been taking Prodrome Neuro for five months so far and have not yet tested to see where I stand. Admittedly I haven’t felt a difference since taking it so it is being performed as a kind of blind faith, having watched his videos, interviews and read his book.
Hughette
3/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:12 pm Wow, please keep us posted on his hypothesis.
Will do. I really hope I get to speak with him.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Gail wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:32 pm Hi FloraMaria!

That is a disappointment! May I ask you - were you taking all three (nuero, glia, and GTAs) all in the same month (1 ml each) or did you alternate each supplement for a month? My understanding is that Goodenowe wants us E4s to take the nuero plasmalogen supplement and not the glia? (Ohh - and if you were taking them all in a month you have a fat wallet book! Much fatter than mine :D ).

I just got back results from my first ProdromeScan. I listened to the new updated Goodenowe video updated
Jan 2022 called ProdromeScan Report Interpretation Tutorial in which Dr. Goodenowe explains how to interpret his latest test. It is here https://drgoodenowe.com/blood-testing/

I found this tutorial helpful - but I am looking forward to my consultation which will be in about a week. From what I know Dr. Goodenowe no longer does after testing consultation (at least not for new people - maybe he will do still do your as you are longer standing customer). I have been assigned a functional medicine coach to do my consultation.
In my consultation with Dr. Goodenowe after the first ProdromeScan, he specifically recommended the ProdromeGlia and GTA for me. I had already purchased ProdromeNeuro because I invested in a discounted promo deal that included the ProdromeNeuro. I told Dr Goodenowe that I already had ProdromeNeuro, and he did not suggest that I not take it. So I took all three. Maybe I should have been alternating the ProdromeNeuro and ProdromeGlia (?), but if that was Dr. Goodenowe's intention, it was not clear to me.

I definitely will post her after my follow up whether it is with Dr. Goodenowe himself or with someone else he has trained.
Last edited by floramaria on Mon May 30, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jlhughette wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:58 pm I am wondering why this might be. Let us know what your learn. I’ve been taking Prodrome Neuro for five months so far and have not yet tested to see where I stand. Admittedly I haven’t felt a difference since taking it so it is being performed as a kind of blind faith, having watched his videos, interviews and read his book.
His research is really impressive. Like you I have read his book, watched videos, and listened to podcasts, including two excellent ones here on ApoE4.Info. I personally know individuals who have improved their ProdromeScan biomarkers after taking the Prodrome products for awhile, so I am baffled by my having gone the other way. :?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:55 pm
Jlhughette wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:58 pm I am wondering why this might be. Let us know what your learn. I’ve been taking Prodrome Neuro for five months so far and have not yet tested to see where I stand. Admittedly I haven’t felt a difference since taking it so it is being performed as a kind of blind faith, having watched his videos, interviews and read his book.
His research is really impressive. Like you I have read his book, watched videos, and listened to podcasts, including two excellent ones here on ApoE4.Info. I personally know individuals who have improved their ProdromeScan biomarkers after taking the Prodrome products for awhile, so I am baffled by my having gone the other way. :?
It does seem strange. Hopefully it was a fluke with the test itself and maybe they will pay to retest you.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
PeterM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeterM »

Yes, Floramaria, please do let us know how this turns out for you. We all hope it is some unfortunate mistake and that further testing will show a more favorable result. It would be interesting if others who did a baseline Prodrome Blood Test would share the results of their second test. Like many, I just began taking the Neuro with the intention of testing down the road as $1300 for pre and post intervention is prohibitive. In any case, we’re rooting for you.
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

This is a report on my first ProdromeScan and a report on the consultation I had regarding the report. I am not sure where to post this - but I picked this thread. I want to draw attention of this post to Emily C.

I had my consultation about the ProdromeScan test results with a Prodrome trained health coach by zoom. The process went smoothly, it was on time and I asked for it to be recorded and it was recorded. The health coach emailed me a copy after our review. I was very happy to get the copy as the material is new to me, quite dense and there are lots of recommendations to consider.

I'd like say that I read Dr Goodenowe's book (but found it heavy going) and I also have twice read his tutorials about his blood biomarkers that he has published on his website DrGoodenowe.com. I believe Dr Goodenowe when he says that we all can learn and understand these concepts but I still find it to be a steep learning curve. I appreciate and admire Dr.Goodenowe's research and believe there is a good case for the role of low plasmalogen's in disease.

So my consultation went well - but I was disappointed that the consult was not with Dr.Goodenowe or a biochemist. That said, I feel that the test results;ts along with Goodenowe's free educational material on his website as well as a session with a trained coach was well worth the cost. The health coach was well scripted on the meaning of the biomarkers - but if asked questions that were off script - the answers were not adequate. I quickly learned to just listen to her interpretation and not ask too many questions. Really I know that her pay grade as a Health Coach did not covered the type of questions I had.

Generally, as expected, as a 69 year old, (plasmolgens decrease with age) my plasmalogens were in the lower percentiles (Total Ethanolamine Plasmalogens were in the 28th percentile). So that was an easily understood recommendation. My recommendation was 3 mil a day of Nuero and 3 mil a day of Glia plus take the fatty acid supplement. Personally, I choked on the cost of this supplementation schedule. I can understand the Nuero supplementation at 2 mil. I did question the need for the GLIA and was told that it would help bring my inflammation down. My homocysteine was 12 and my CRP was 2.37. I have the MTHFR mutation and I haven't addressed all the ways to bring my homocysteine down through TMG and methylated forms of the B vitamins. I would rather do that than pays $100s of dollars on the GLIA.

Here is an issue/concern with my test.
In Dr.Goodenowe's Prodrome Scan tutorial (https://drgoodenowe.com/blood-testing/) he comments that under Test Section 8 Methyltransferase/Choline System if you have a high amount of 8A Total Phosphatidlethanolamines, and a low amount of 8B Total Phosphatidylcholine then that is an indication of Fatty Liver Disease. So I have this pattern on my test. And the Health Coach said I had fatty liver disease. My concern is that I am not making Phosphatidylcholine in my liver and I do not have enough for my cell membranes. The Health Coach was insistent that I had fatty liver disease! I pushed back a bit, but I know this was my issue to research.

So I would appreciate any input on the following:
I don't fit the "typical medical" profile of someone with NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease). The only factor that would lean toward that is a year ago my BMI was 28.9 Over the last nine month's I have lost 28 pounds. My current BMI is 26.5 I am a recreational athlete (who has grown old) but still exercises in 2 to 2.5 hours a day hiking in the mountains at a zone 2 level with most days going over a mountain pass and getting my heart rate up to 75% to 85% of maximum for maybe 30 minutes.(I live at altitude 8000ft) I lift weights 3 times a week. My liver is functioning well controlling glucose, ketones and insulin. I have no insulin resistance, my fasting glucose is good - my Homo-Ir score is .79 and my A1c is 4.7 From what I read NAFLD comes with metabolic syndrome which I don't seem to have. My liver enzymes (ALT and AST) are all in the low normal range).I don't drink alcohol. In addition - I just so happened to have a CT scan of my abdomen last summer. The most appropriate way to detect Fatty Liver Disease is through an ultrasound where you can see the fat that has creeped into the liver and as a result you are given a "grade" of your fatty liver disease. Ultrasounds are used to diagnose NAFLD because they are cheaper than CTs or MRIs. CT scans are more accurate than an ultrasound at diagnosing NAFLD. For my abdominal CT scan the radiologist commented "The Liver was unRemarkable" which means that there are no liver abnormalities. I also have a close family member who is a surgical PA and cares for people with abdominal issues requiring surgery and must look at and evaluate 100s of abdominal images a week. She says that NAFLD is quite common in her patients who are overweight and have metabolic issues. But her evaluation of my CT scan and my liver enzymes plus my life style and diet - that I most certainly don't have Fatty liver disease. So I am wondering why I am not making Phosphatidylcholine??

I apologize for the long post and hope that you fellow APOE 4 have the patience to read about my experience with this ProdromeScan test. Any thought, comments or questions would be appreciated. I am worried about my very lowPhosphatidylcholine levels and I wonder what to do about it because curing my NAFLD doesn't look like a course of action if I don't have it!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Gail wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:20 pm This is a report on my first ProdromeScan and a report on the consultation I had regarding the report.

I apologize for the long post and hope that you fellow APOE 4 have the patience to read about my experience with this ProdromeScan test. Any thought, comments or questions would be appreciated. I am worried about my very lowPhosphatidylcholine levels and I wonder what to do about it because curing my NAFLD doesn't look like a course of action if I don't have it!
Hi Gail, I’d don’t have any comments except that there is no reason to apologize for your long post! I read it with interest and appreciate the time you spent and the detail you provided.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Gail wrote:...he comments that under Test Section 8 Methyltransferase/Choline System if you have a high amount of 8A Total Phosphatidlethanolamines, and a low amount of 8B Total Phosphatidylcholine then that is an indication of Fatty Liver Disease. So I have this pattern on my test. And the Health Coach said I had fatty liver disease.
The operative word here is "indication" of NAFLD. Seems to me your coach is working off a scripted if-then tree.

With MTHFR variants and given your higher homocysteine level, I'm guessing that your body might just be using your choline intake (via food) to help with methylation (due to lack of B vitamins), which means it's not available for making phosphatidylcholine. You're on the right track in thinking about this, and might just need to fiddle with your B vitamin intake, perhaps add some choline (or choline containing foods), and/or take phosphatidylcholine as a supplement (fairly inexpensive).

Honestly, I'd start there, to optimize your methylation pathways and see where it leads you. These actions will likely bring your homocysteine down, too. If it doesn't, then add the TMG.

And if you want to know more, do check out the Methylation wiki page.
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

SusanJ wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:41 pm

With MTHFR variants and given your higher homocysteine level, I'm guessing that your body might just be using your choline intake (via food) to help with methylation (due to lack of B vitamins), which means it's not available for making phosphatidylcholine. You're on the right track in thinking about this, and might just need to fiddle with your B vitamin intake, perhaps add some choline (or choline containing foods), and/or take phosphatidylcholine as a supplement (fairly inexpensive).

Honestly, I'd start there, to optimize your methylation pathways and see where it leads you. These actions will likely bring your homocysteine down, too. If it doesn't, then add the TMG.
Thanks for your comments SusanJ! I think that's wise advice to look into other causes for the my low phosphatidylcholine. Thanks for the link to the wiki on Homocysteine. Will do. These systems are so complex - but I will work on my methylation and see if that helps.