Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote: I can't seem to find how many scallops one would need to eat a day to get 1 mg of plasmalogens, just to compare to NeuroRegain which itself is too expensive for me, let alone Prodrome.
From Gundry podcast with Goodenowe
"So then that special bond, that vinyl-ether bond unfortunately is very sensitive to acids. Since our body has lots of plasmalogens, you think if we eat a nice juicy steak or eat animal products, that you should be eating plasmalogens. But that vinyl-bond is sensitive to acids. And so when it hits your stomach acids, which is basically concentrated hydrochloric acid in your stomach, it breaks that bond. So dietary sources of plasmalogens are minimally bioavailable. That’s the phospholipid part of the story."
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
circular wrote: I can't seem to find how many scallops one would need to eat a day to get 1 mg of plasmalogens, just to compare to NeuroRegain which itself is too expensive for me, let alone Prodrome.
From Gundry podcast with Goodenowe
"So then that special bond, that vinyl-ether bond unfortunately is very sensitive to acids. Since our body has lots of plasmalogens, you think if we eat a nice juicy steak or eat animal products, that you should be eating plasmalogens. But that vinyl-bond is sensitive to acids. And so when it hits your stomach acids, which is basically concentrated hydrochloric acid in your stomach, it breaks that bond. So dietary sources of plasmalogens are minimally bioavailable. That’s the phospholipid part of the story."
Bummer, although I'm quite sure that if PLs were better available through food the scallops themselves would likely cost more than the supplement to get enough.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MoJoe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:32 pm I remain confused how NeuroRegain at 0.5 mg plasmalogens per capsule. appears to work and Goodenowe advocates a much larger dose daily, several hundredfold more. We are dealing with a large pharmaceutical company and the CEO and owner is frustrated with me when I cannot categorically specify a daily dose. Time will tell.
MoJoe
In this description of preliminary research (n=30) into the use of Prodrome in Alzheimer's and MCI:
Dr. Kling and his team hope to identify the safe and optimal dose of the molecule that maintains plasmalogen levels in the range associated with the lowest risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
I haven't been able to locate anything current about this study. Does anyone have another link?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 pm Does anyone know if there have been studies showing how much blood plasmolagens fluctuate on average during, say, a twenty-four hour period, all other things being equal (ideally but not probably). Is there a certain time of day established to be the best time to test to catch their expected lowest level?
Here's just a hint that plasmalogens as metabolites may fluctuate quite a bit during the day in response to changing inputs:
Because proteins and metabolites are downstream of genetic variation and transcriptional changes, they can provide instantaneous “snapshots” of the state of a cell or organism. They can rapidly change in response to environmental stressors such as exercise or directly by the ingestion of foods or other compounds. [Link]
I guess the test requires a 10-12 hour fast to get a baseline before the day's inputs affect the results. In a really geeky world, it would be interesting to do a series of tests twice a day for a week or more of consistent lifestyle inputs, the first after a 12 hour fast and the second before bed, just to see what happens over the course of a typical day.
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

With Respect I disagree with the uptake of p;asmalogens. I will quote from two articles.
From “Plasmalogens Eliminate Aging-Associated Synaptic Defects and Microglia-Mediated Neuroinflammation in Mice.”
Mice in aged Pls-fed group were supplemented with Pls in water by intragastric administration for 2 months and mice in aged control group were given the same amount of water. Excerpt from later in the same article
These outcomes reveal that aged mice with 2-months Pls supplementation have better spatial learning and memory capacity compared to aged control mice. Of note, by the age of 18 months, the appearance of aged control mice showed striking signs of senescence, characterized by gray body hair and obvious hair loss, while aged Pls-fed mice look healthy in appearance with glossier and thicker hair compared to aged controls (Figure 2A). These data suggest that Pls supplementation may alleviate age-related cognitive decline and reverse the aged symptoms in mice.

From “Structural changes of ethanolamine plasmalogen during intestinal absorption”
Takahashi et al have demonstrated that although plasmalogens contain a potentially unstable double bond, these lipids are still able to be taken up by the intestinal mucosa in rats. As many disorders are associated with a plasmalogen deficiency, this research indicates that treatment with plasmalogens will be able to be taken up by the intestine, enter the lymph, and have the potential to be incorporated by the body.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Our system doesn't make inserting quotes and urls easy, so to make it easier for readers to see where you were quoting, I have inserted the links and quotes into your reply, I hope accurately:
MoJoe wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:56 pm With Respect I disagree with the uptake of p;asmalogens. I will quote from two articles.

From “Plasmalogens Eliminate Aging-Associated Synaptic Defects and Microglia-Mediated Neuroinflammation in Mice.”
Mice in aged [plasmalogens] Pls-fed group were supplemented with Pls in water by intragastric administration for 2 months and mice in aged control group were given the same amount of water.
Excerpt from later in the same article:
These outcomes reveal that aged mice with 2-months Pls supplementation have better spatial learning and memory capacity compared to aged control mice. Of note, by the age of 18 months, the appearance of aged control mice showed striking signs of senescence, characterized by gray body hair and obvious hair loss, while aged Pls-fed mice look healthy in appearance with glossier and thicker hair compared to aged controls (Figure 2A). These data suggest that Pls supplementation may alleviate age-related cognitive decline and reverse the aged symptoms in mice.
From “Structural changes of ethanolamine plasmalogen during intestinal absorption
Takahashi et al have demonstrated that although plasmalogens contain a potentially unstable double bond, these lipids are still able to be taken up by the intestinal mucosa in rats. As many disorders are associated with a plasmalogen deficiency, this research indicates that treatment with plasmalogens will be able to be taken up by the intestine, enter the lymph, and have the potential to be incorporated by the body.
4/4 and still an optimist!
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Thank you, I felt that it was an important counter to arguments suggesting that a plasmalogen supplement of ethanolamine plasmalogen was doomed to failure. Quite the contrary, it seems Neuroregain manages to have an effect with just 0.5 mg of plasmalogen per capsule. I believe, without direct evidence, that more is better. Until I am shown that this is wrong we will aim for the higher loadings of the plasmalogen as possible, and even incorporate some precursors of natural alkylglycerols such a chimyl, batyl and selachyl alcohols.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

On my second ProdromeScan, most of my biomarkers… including for plasmalogens… were worse after my year and a half of taking ProdromeNeuro, ProdromeGlia, and GTA. I was shocked!!
I’ll be very interested to see what Dr Goodenowe has to say about this and what he recommends for me going forward. With the exception of adding the Prodrome supplements, my diet and supplements have stayed generally the same. Only changes I can think of are that I discontinued Cod Liver Oil and relaxed my ketogenic diet a little.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:55 pm On my second ProdromeScan, most of my biomarkers… including for plasmalogens… were worse after my year and a half of taking ProdromeNeuro, ProdromeGlia, and GTA. I was shocked!!
I’ll be very interested to see what Dr Goodenowe has to say about this and what he recommends for me going forward. With the exception of adding the Prodrome supplements, my diet and supplements have stayed generally the same. Only changes I can think of are that I discontinued Cod Liver Oil and relaxed my ketogenic diet a little.
Wow, please keep us posted on his hypothesis.
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

floramaria wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:55 pm On my second ProdromeScan, most of my biomarkers… including for plasmalogens… were worse after my year and a half of taking ProdromeNeuro, ProdromeGlia, and GTA. I was shocked!!
I’ll be very interested to see what Dr Goodenowe has to say about this and what he recommends for me going forward.
Hi FloraMaria!

That is a disappointment! May I ask you - were you taking all three (nuero, glia, and GTAs) all in the same month (1 ml each) or did you alternate each supplement for a month? My understanding is that Goodenowe wants us E4s to take the nuero plasmalogen supplement and not the glia? (Ohh - and if you were taking them all in a month you have a fat wallet book! Much fatter than mine :D ).

I just got back results from my first ProdromeScan. I listened to the new updated Goodenowe video updated
Jan 2022 called ProdromeScan Report Interpretation Tutorial in which Dr. Goodenowe explains how to interpret his latest test. It is here https://drgoodenowe.com/blood-testing/

I found this tutorial helpful - but I am looking forward to my consultation which will be in about a week. From what I know Dr. Goodenowe no longer does after testing consultation (at least not for new people - maybe he will do still do your as you are longer standing customer). I have been assigned a functional medicine coach to do my consultation.