From parent to child

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Flowergirl
New User
New User

From parent to child

Post by Flowergirl »

My sibling and I both have apoe4/4
According to 23&me. I recently got an analysis of my mother’s dna file and she is 3/3. Is it possible to inherit an apoe4 variant from a parent that does not have apoe4?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: From parent to child

Post by NF52 »

Flowergirl wrote:My sibling and I both have apoe4/4
According to 23&me. I recently got an analysis of my mother’s dna file and she is 3/3. Is it possible to inherit an apoe4 variant from a parent that does not have apoe4?
Hi Flowergirl!
I too am Apoe4/4, so welcome to a special club of the 2% or so of us with both benefits (good verbal skills, possibly lower risk of cancer) along with some risks we can do lots to reduce!
Since 23&me reports about a 99% accuracy rate, I wonder if the company that analyzed your mother’s DNA wasn’t using the same two SNPs (or parts of genes) that 23&me used. You and your sibling would have inherited that one copy of APOE 4 from each parent.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Flowergirl
New User
New User

Post by Flowergirl »

thanks. That was what I was thinking - that there is a mistake somewhere. My question is really if a parent does not have the apoe4 gene can they still pass one to their child as a recessive gene? It also doesn’t seem likely that both my sibling and I would show apoe4/4 when one parent is 3/3. My sibling and I had ours analyzed by 23&me but I had my mother’s data file from ancestry analyzed by Xcode. Thanks for the input !
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Ancestry's reporting is questionable - here's a prior post explaining the issue.
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

No, a parent without an apoe 4 cannot pass a 4 to their child, recessively or otherwise. As others have said Ancestry results are suspect, particularly with apoe.
Jenny B
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jenny B »

Flowergirl wrote:My sibling and I both have apoe4/4
Hi Flowergirl. I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the ApoE4.info community since this is your first post here, and show you around a bit. It seems your question has been answered so I'll just direct you to how to find resources, stories and more. One really interesting resource is the Primer written by a doctor who is herself, ApoE 4/4. It is an introduction to ApoE4 and possible prevention strategies. Also, the How-To Guide can help you navigate the ApoE4.info website. We hope you find all you need and more here.

Warm regards,

Jenny
Jenny B, ND
FMCHC, NBC-HWC
ApoE4.info Sr Support Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Naturopathic Doctor