40 hz gamma light and sound therapy

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
FBMBoomer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 40 hz gamma light and sound therapy

Post by FBMBoomer »

Thanks for the kind reply. As I said, I would be happy to share my setup with anyone who wants to try this kind of therapy. It is not something I just made up or read from questionable sources.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/small-studies ... efits-1213

There are many more sources for this type of study.
This therapy is non invasive, does not require drugs, and I suspect from my own experience, is impossible to suffer an overdose :-) We have the light and sound going about 16 hours a day.

The problem with this therapy right now is price. You cannot just go out and buy something. You can get a small lumen light bulb for around 60 to 80 dollars. The frequency is not accurate and the light does not turn on and off abruptly as is needed for this type of therapy. A sine wave delivered to an LED is not the best way by far to deliver 40 hz entrainment.

A 12 volt power supply to run this light and sound costs about $100. The box I make is handmade and just the parts come to 100 dollars. The LED strips are about $7 a piece and have adhesive on the back side (you need 4). They must be mounted on something like a nice looking self supporting wood device with a 1 meter surface for the lights. I have 40 hz line level audio out. The simplest method to produce sound is by plugging these outputs into a powered subwoofer. I started using one of these because my stereo was just getting too warm and I did not want to burn it out. The subwoofer is 12 inch and cost about $300 shipped. Building these driver boxes is very slow for me. I am not a machinist and punching all the holes in the panel is very tedious and time consuming for me. I still do it because of the results it produces.

If this device were manufactured in quantity in a single box about the size of a shop light, it would probably cost around $100. There is just no demand for this now.

Another potential problem is that the efficacy of this treatment threatens the profits made from the myriad of drugs sold to treat symptoms of these diseases.

I think I only did this design because my wife's reaction to these drugs was terrible. She could not tolerate any of these psychoactive drugs.
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

I've been using 40 hz light for maybe a couple of months and I've had some unusual (for me) experiences.

Sitting in a concert hall a few weeks ago, I noticed that I could smell all the perfumes worn by people in the audience. I could identify them individually--this one is coming from the row ahead of me to my right, this one from that row but on the left, and oh! there's one that just came in the door and is walking down the aisle past me. I could detect those smells moving as the air currents shifted in the hall.

After the concert, my husband headed for the nearest exit and I said, "No, if we're going to find our way back to our car we need to retrace our steps." And then I led him back to our car, which involved at least 10 changes of direction and level. At each turn, I recognized where I was and remembered where I had come from to get there.

To put this into perspective, I've had basically no sense of smell for...20 years? And for at least that long, I've reliably forgotten where I parked the car every time I come out of our local supermarket. When I led my husband back to our car after that concert, he said, "I have *never* seen you do that before."

I bought the cheapest light I could find--basically a little coil of copper wire with a tiny light every few inches. Whenever I work at my desk in daylight hours, it's there in front of me, blinking. There is one other thing I should mention that I started doing about the same time as the lights. I put a rebounder in my office, and I try to get up and use it every 30 minutes or so. I think of it as interrupting the sitting, more than exercise, so I only do it for a minute or so. I often get engrossed for hours and don't get up to use it. But the light is always on.

One night of dramatic improvement isn't worth much if it doesn't continue. Since that night, when I walk into the house and my son is cooking, I can tell what spices he used. I can even tell when he undercooked the onions! And of course, when somebody uses the litterbox I know it instantly, where I used to be blissfully ignorant. And I hadn't realized it till I sat down to write this, but when I leave the supermarket, I now remember a) which door I came in (which is new) and b) which aisle I parked in.

My little coil of blinky lights cost about $40. I was planning to upgrade if it worked, but now I don't really see a reason to.
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

woleile wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 am I've been using 40 hz light for maybe a couple of months and I've had some unusual (for me) experiences.

Sitting in a concert hall a few weeks ago, I noticed that I could smell all the perfumes worn by people in the audience. I could identify them individually--this one is coming from the row ahead of me to my right, this one from that row but on the left, and oh! there's one that just came in the door and is walking down the aisle past me. I could detect those smells moving as the air currents shifted in the hall.

After the concert, my husband headed for the nearest exit and I said, "No, if we're going to find our way back to our car we need to retrace our steps." And then I led him back to our car, which involved at least 10 changes of direction and level. At each turn, I recognized where I was and remembered where I had come from to get there.

To put this into perspective, I've had basically no sense of smell for...20 years? And for at least that long, I've reliably forgotten where I parked the car every time I come out of our local supermarket. When I led my husband back to our car after that concert, he said, "I have *never* seen you do that before."

I bought the cheapest light I could find--basically a little coil of copper wire with a tiny light every few inches. Whenever I work at my desk in daylight hours, it's there in front of me, blinking. There is one other thing I should mention that I started doing about the same time as the lights. I put a rebounder in my office, and I try to get up and use it every 30 minutes or so. I think of it as interrupting the sitting, more than exercise, so I only do it for a minute or so. I often get engrossed for hours and don't get up to use it. But the light is always on.

One night of dramatic improvement isn't worth much if it doesn't continue. Since that night, when I walk into the house and my son is cooking, I can tell what spices he used. I can even tell when he undercooked the onions! And of course, when somebody uses the litterbox I know it instantly, where I used to be blissfully ignorant. And I hadn't realized it till I sat down to write this, but when I leave the supermarket, I now remember a) which door I came in (which is new) and b) which aisle I parked in.

My little coil of blinky lights cost about $40. I was planning to upgrade if it worked, but now I don't really see a reason to.
Good morning woleile!
Your story is interesting. I am curious what light you purchased and what your protocol is? Are you willing to share? Thank you
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
FBMBoomer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FBMBoomer »

My therapy for my wife includes 40 hz sound from a Dayton 12 inch subwoofer. The 40 hz stimulates two different parts of the brain when it includes light and sound.
woleile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woleile »

Here's what I use:
https://gammalighttherapy.com/products/ ... herapy-kit

I don't know if it merits the term protocol--the lights sit in front of my monitor, and whenever I'm at the computer, they're on. The website recommends limiting use to an hour a day. But when I did a quick google search, everybody who reported success also reported using them for several hours a day (or night!). So other than turning them off as sundown approaches, I don't limit the time.

FBMBoomer: Do you use the lights and sound together or separately? I would imagine that using two devices at once would give you something other than a 40 hz frequency.
Woleile
E4/E4
Bredesen type 3 (mold toxicity)
homozygous MTHFR C677T, COMT
FBMBoomer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FBMBoomer »

I use the two on my wife together most of the time. When she reads to me, I turn the sound off. The sound and light are phase locked. There is no harmonic frequency. And yes, it is on most of the day. It is easy to talk over because 40 hz is a lot below are voice frequency range. It is very bright and illuminates our entire downstairs. My wife thinks it is too bright, but there was no indication from the study about how much light was enough, so I erred on the side of too much. Unfortunately it is does not "cure" tremors. It stops them from happening, but if she goes for a week or two without this therapy, the tremors start to return. I guess I will take what I can get.

The MCT therapy is helping her cognition a lot. She notices it and is thrilled to get rid of her brain fog.
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

FBMBoomer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:26 pm My therapy for my wife includes 40 hz sound from a Dayton 12 inch subwoofer. The 40 hz stimulates two different parts of the brain when it includes light and sound.
Thank you!
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
FBMBoomer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FBMBoomer »

I have been using a 40 hz light on my wife for over a year now. It is very bright and of my own design. It illuminates our whole living room/dining room area. My wife has Lewy Body dementia and this light stopped her tremors. It did not just reduce them, it stopped them. It also worked for my former boss who has Parkinson's. I know it works because I got sick 7 months ago and stopped treating her. The tremors came back. I will not stop treatment even if I get sick again. The light and sound work wonders for tremors, but have not stopped the other symptoms of Lewy Body. The bloody disease just keeps marching on. I hate losing a little bit of her each month. However, anything I can do to make her quality of life better at this end stage of her life is a welcomed by us both.

This is just an update so that everyone knows it is still working 6 months later. I also found that after a lot of use, the output transistors I used which are Mosfets are a very good choice. They have not failed even though they are handling about 10 amps.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

FBMBoomer, thank you for reactivating this thread.

I find that I take a great deal of time to make healthy adjustments to my routine and typically this would discourage those trying to help me. However, when you have a few people working on the same problem then great synergies can happen. Your idea about using this as an always on type treatment has been particularly helpful for me. When i started off I went with the light bulb in the dining room idea for one hour per day. I then migrated to taping the "Christmas lights to my computer monitor with paper clips. That worked fairly well, though now I have upgraded to threading the Chirstams lights through a piece of cardboard and then placing the cardboard behind my computer-- the Christmas lights now run along the frame of my computer monitor and this has worked out even better! I cranked this up for full day use and the impact on my dreams have been large. It is always good I feel when you can rapidly see such results-- you just need to pay attention to your mental life and notice when something happens when you make these changes. I can say that I notice a cognitive upgrade with the lights. It would be so powerful if this observation could amp up to a planetary scale.

Another upgrade that I have made that has noticeably benefited me is taking lithium orotate at a low mg dose, along with ~ 1,000 IU of vitamin D. I am not sure whether this is on your supplement list, though these have seemed to help me. With lithium, the benefits seem to be fairly powerful -- supposedly it can help grow the prefrontal cortex. I hope that you find these insights useful.
FBMBoomer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FBMBoomer »

Thanks for the information J11. I will look into this. I am glad the light works for you even if it is not at 40 hz. Maybe more studies will shed light on this. (pun intended)