Connection to early-onset?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
bestfaceforward
New User
New User

Connection to early-onset?

Post by bestfaceforward »

Hi, I am new here. I recently got into 23andMe and Promesthease. I have always worried in the back of my mind whether I will have Alzheimer's/Dementia early-onset like my maternal grandmother did (I am not sure which she had or if it was ever established). She had issues very early I would say at least 50s. I have always had a pretty bad memory I would say although I did well in school. And in my 30s since having kids, just so much brain fog. I also get more anxious driving than I used to, and my grandmother stopped driving in her 30s so that sure does make me nervous.

Anyway I am wondering how to ApoE3 and ApoE4 connect to early-onset/familial if at all. My risk was 2-3x times by 80yo which was actually a relief to me bc I was expecting by 50. Would Promesthease tell me right up top if I had early-onset risk? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in my red flags so I am assuming those genes didn't come up.

And what I can be doing preventatively now? I also had a higher risk for heart disease and I believe they are finding a lot of this ties together.
NoNotMe
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Connection to early-onset?

Post by NoNotMe »

Hi BestFaceForward.

Welcome to our community, we're so glad you're here. Learning about the ApoE4 gene can cause a lot of fear and anxiety. I too have been through that process and, like you, found my way to this site. Once you know this is part of your genetics educating yourself really helps relieve anxiety. It's helpful to remember that our genes are just blueprints, they are not our destiny. I can imagine how some brain fog sets off your fear but that can be caused by so many things as it comes and goes.

I'd like to introduce you to some great places to start learning more. First is the HOW TO GUIDE. This helps you get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It is created to make navigating the site easy. This area explains how to use the quotes button so that the other member receives an email notification of your reply, how to search for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

This is the PRIMER written by one of our member physicians, Stavia, who is APOE4/4. It is great introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies in addition to exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is a wealth of information and a great place to start and to come back to!

Lastly our WIKI offers a wealth of additional information and you can search for specific topics of interest. For instance, you asked about preventative measures you can take. Here is link to Bredesen Protocol Explained. You can also find information on cardiovascular heath etc.

We wish you the very best as you learn more about preventative measures that will keep you healthy for a lifetime. Check in often, share your story, connect and discover.

By the way, I love your user name Bestfaceforward. It says a lot about your optimism and can do spirit. Keep on!

Warmly,
Erin
Functional Medicine Health Coach
Integrative Nutritionalist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bestfaceforward wrote: Anyway I am wondering how to ApoE3 and ApoE4 connect to early-onset/familial if at all. My risk was 2-3x times by 80yo which was actually a relief to me bc I was expecting by 50. Would Promesthease tell me right up top if I had early-onset risk? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in my red flags so I am assuming those genes didn't come up.

And what I can be doing preventatively now? I also had a higher risk for heart disease and I believe they are finding a lot of this ties together.
Hi bestfaceforward! (I love that user name)
Your ApoE results are not related to early onset , familial Alzheimer’s. There entirely different genetic SNP’s related to EOAD, and they are rare. If you had those, Promethease should have reported them, though of course, no system is without error. More importantly, if you had familial AD, you would almost certainly see a lot of early onset AD in your family. More likely, your mom had other factors that contributed to her cognition deteriorating at a younger age than is usually associated with ApoE4.

Your risk for late onset AD, shown by your ApoE4 results, can be effectively managed and with life style changes. These changes will also reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
This has been demonstrated in many studies.
A good place to begin learning about this is in our excellent Primer. It provides a comprehensive overview to understanding the ApoE4 allele. It is very readable, and gives information on the associated risks and also has prioritized steps on how to minimize those risks. It is written by a physician member.
I’d definitely recommend starting there.
Following the advise in the Primer will help you reverse your risk of AD and of heart disease.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
bestfaceforward
New User
New User

Post by bestfaceforward »

Thanks! I was reading those yesterday. I already started working on my sugar intake!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bestfaceforward wrote:Thanks! I was reading those yesterday. I already started working on my sugar intake!
Excellent! You are on your way! Feel free to ask questions as they come up.
Another tool you may useful is our search function. If you want to see what our members have posted on any topic you type it in and all the posts with the word/s you entered will show up. You access that with the magnifying glass to the left of your user name in the upper right hand corner of your screen.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health