Fasting Issues

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Fasting Issues

Post by Julie G »

Hi Julie G
I've just started to join this group and would like to find out more about fasting. can you recommend where I might go
I am 81 years young and have the gene and am looking for help
Thanks
PeteS
Hi Pete, welcome! I recently helped Dr. Bredesen write a book entitled "The End of Alzheimer's Program" that takes a deep dive into fasting and how to implement it. You can probably pick it up at you local library.
Plum
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fasting Issues

Post by Plum »

Julie G wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:26 pm Hi Jim! Typically, difficulty fasting indicates some degree of insulin resistance. When this occurs, it's actually very common to become hypoglycemic at night. As you know, hypoglycemia can be a medical emergency. When this occurs, please eat eat some nuts or avocado slices and try to get right back to sleep. At the same time, try to extend your fast a little bit longer each day, by just 5 minutes, until you reach whatever your goal is — I typically go for 16+ hours.

If you haven't already, you may want to check your HbA1c (goal <5.3), fasting insulin (<4.5) and glucose (<90) to see where you stand. Many people find it very helpful to wear a continuous glucose monitor to learn which foods spike blood glucose so you know how to best tailor your diet to promote insulin sensitivity.

Are you exercising regularly? Exercise also helps to heal insulin resistance, wakes up your mitochondria and promotes metabolic flexibility — the ability to use both glucose and ketones as fuel.
I found this very useful. Would someone mind explaining to me if glucose should be less than 5 AFTER meals too? I'm thinking 2 hours after meals? Thank you
Plum e3/e4