Choline

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
bellavend
Contributor
Contributor

Choline

Post by bellavend »

Hi there,
I've been reading about choline and how it may be a real winner for 4/4s.
For regular people they recommend 425 for women as a dosage but I know APOE4 need higher doses of supplements often (ie Omega 3) and wondered if this is the same for choline?

Does anyone know the right daily dosage for choline for a 4/4

Also does anyone know a good reputable supplement company to buy from?

I'm based in Australia

Thanks!
Bella
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Choline

Post by Julie G »

Hi there,
For regular people they recommend 425 for women as a dosage but I know APOE4 need higher doses of supplements often (ie Omega 3) and wondered if this is the same for choline?

I'm based in Australia
Hi bellavend. I've not seen convincing evidence that more is better for E4 carriers. Avoiding a deficiency, however, is vital. It's always best to get any nutrient from food, but even omnivores come up short when it comes to choline. And, vegans and vegetarians typically take in much lower levels. As a 4/4, I supplement 250mg of choline CDP to get to my 425mg daily requirement as well as eating pastured eggs, liver, and wild-caught seafood.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

bellavend wrote:Hi there,

I'm based in Australia

Thanks!
Bella
Welcome, Bella!

We love to hear from our genetic relatives "down under"! As someone who also has ApoE 4/4, I always feel a shared pride with someone like you who is figuring out how to be a "winner" with our special alleles. Every day we're showing that "risk" is balanced by "resilience" and "resistance" in our brains and especially in our spirit. Julie G's reply is as thoughtful as her role in starting this forum, so if you haven't had a chance to read a little bit about how this forum views ApoE4, I encourage you to explore the Welcome page.

The Welcome page includes one of the resources I've relied on for wise counsel and reassurance: the Primer is written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It's a great place to see some strategies that be using, but likely also will convince you that we can create paths to continued health.

For ease of replying to folks, and finding topics, check out the screen shots in our The How-To Guide . For example, clicking on the quotation mark icon in the upper right of any post) before you reply to someone, sends them an email notification of your reply.

We hope you fell free to share your own experiences and any questions. And we hope you continue to be one of our ever-growing "family".

Cheers,
NF52
4/4 and still an optimist!
bellavend
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Evening primrose oil

Post by bellavend »

Hi Julie, thank you! It's really great to have found you guys. Yes, definitely, I'll go and take a look at all that info, thanks for that.

I've been really struggling to find an answer about EVO (evening primrose oil) I take 4 x 1000mg per day (each tablet contains 100mg GLA + Gamma Linolenic acid 100mg) for mood (and it works an absolute treat for me) however I've been reading about the ideal ratio between omega 3 and omega 6. But, I'm just not sure EVO is included in that? Does anyone know?

Dr G said "You want to make sure your cells have sufficient DHA or actually high levels of DHA in relation to arachidonic acid (AA) which is your omega-6 version." So, is it the arachidonic acid in omega 6 that is the particular problem/issue?

I found this in a study "Decreasing dietary linoleic acid by up to 90% was not significantly correlated with changes in arachidonic acid levels in the phospholipid pool of plasma/serum (p = 0.39). Similarly, when dietary linoleic acid levels were increased up to six fold, no significant correlations with arachidonic acid levels were observed (p = 0.72). However, there was a positive relationship between dietary gamma-linolenic acid and dietary arachidonic acid on changes in arachidonic levels in plasma/serum phospholipids."

I guess I would love some help in understanding this?

Thanks in advance.

Bella
lucytownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Evening primrose oil

Post by lucytownsend »

bellavend wrote:Hi Julie, thank you! It's really great to have found you guys. Yes, definitely, I'll go and take a look at all that info, thanks for that.

I've been really struggling to find an answer about EVO (evening primrose oil) I take 4 x 1000mg per day (each tablet contains 100mg GLA + Gamma Linolenic acid 100mg) for mood (and it works an absolute treat for me) however I've been reading about the ideal ratio between omega 3 and omega 6. But, I'm just not sure EVO is included in that? Does anyone know?

Dr G said "You want to make sure your cells have sufficient DHA or actually high levels of DHA in relation to arachidonic acid (AA) which is your omega-6 version." So, is it the arachidonic acid in omega 6 that is the particular problem/issue?

I found this in a study "Decreasing dietary linoleic acid by up to 90% was not significantly correlated with changes in arachidonic acid levels in the phospholipid pool of plasma/serum (p = 0.39). Similarly, when dietary linoleic acid levels were increased up to six fold, no significant correlations with arachidonic acid levels were observed (p = 0.72). However, there was a positive relationship between dietary gamma-linolenic acid and dietary arachidonic acid on changes in arachidonic levels in plasma/serum phospholipids."

I guess I would love some help in understanding this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi bellavend,

This link Choline & Supplements may provide you additional resources.

Please keep in touch,

Warmly,

Lucy
Lucy Townsend
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCOACH Coach
Certified Patient Advocate
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

GLA doesn't appear to behave like other omega-6s and may actually reduce inflammation. Read more here.