Evening Primrose Oil Supplement

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
bellavend
Contributor
Contributor

Evening Primrose Oil Supplement

Post by bellavend »

Hello Forum Members,

I've been really struggling to find an answer about EVO (evening primrose oil) I take 4 x 1000mg per day (each tablet contains 100mg GLA + Gamma Linolenic acid 100mg) for mood (and it works an absolute treat for me) however I've been reading about the ideal ratio between omega 3 and omega 6. But, I'm just not sure EVO is included in that? Does anyone know?

Dr G said "You want to make sure your cells have sufficient DHA or actually high levels of DHA in relation to arachidonic acid (AA) which is your omega-6 version." So, is it the arachidonic acid in omega 6 that is the particular problem/issue?

I found this in a study "Decreasing dietary linoleic acid by up to 90% was not significantly correlated with changes in arachidonic acid levels in the phospholipid pool of plasma/serum (p = 0.39). Similarly, when dietary linoleic acid levels were increased up to six fold, no significant correlations with arachidonic acid levels were observed (p = 0.72). However, there was a positive relationship between dietary gamma-linolenic acid and dietary arachidonic acid on changes in arachidonic levels in plasma/serum phospholipids."

I guess I would love some help in understanding this?

Thanks in advance.
bellavend
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Evening Primrose Oil Supplement

Post by bellavend »

Update - I've discovered that EPO is actually an Omega 3 and is very good for us.

"Primrose oil, fish oil and their mixture reduced the progression of Alzheimer's disease in rats with superiority to primrose/fish oil mixture."

and
"Essential fatty acids, such as those found in alpha linoleic acid (ALA), borage oil, and evening primrose oil. These omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce the risk of Alzheimer disease."
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bellavend wrote:Update - I've discovered that EPO is actually an Omega 3 and is very good for us.

"Primrose oil, fish oil and their mixture reduced the progression of Alzheimer's disease in rats with superiority to primrose/fish oil mixture."

and
"Essential fatty acids, such as those found in alpha linoleic acid (ALA), borage oil, and evening primrose oil. These omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce the risk of Alzheimer disease."
I was curious about this after your your first post about evening primrose oil, but hadn’t had a chance to look into it. Thanks for following up here with what you learned.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
bellavend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bellavend »

No worries. It's a terrific supplement for hormonal balance (and mood) too.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bellavend wrote:No worries. It's a terrific supplement for hormonal balance (and mood) too.
Yes, I took it for awhile long ago but that was before I got so interested in Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s, so I’d never considered it from that perspective.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health