Looking for an oxygen monitor

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for an oxygen monitor

Post by JimH »

Hi folks,

I want to get an idea of my oxygen levels while I'm asleep. Is/are there oxygen monitors that have been found effective and useful?

Thanks,

Jim
lucytownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Looking for an oxygen monitor

Post by lucytownsend »

JimH wrote:Hi folks,

I want to get an idea of my oxygen levels while I'm asleep. Is/are there oxygen monitors that have been found effective and useful?

Thanks,

Jim
Hi Jim,

You can ask your physician for a prescription to rent a continuous pulse oximeter or you can purchase a system to monitor your oxygen saturation at home. There are several products I like because of their medical grade accuracy.

The first is the EMAY Sleep Oxygen Monitor ($59), which is FDA approved, Apple and Android compatible, provides continuous monitoring of both pulse and oxygen saturation for up to 40 hours, and allows you to download a medical grade report. This system uses a traditional fingertip clip, that could become dislodged during sleeping. For that reason, it may only be appropriate for those who tend not to move very much during sleep.

An additional option is the Wellvue 02 Ring ($169) which is registered with the FDA, Apple and Android compatible, and also offers software so that you can download your report to your personal computer to share with your physician. As the name indicates, the data is obtained through a comfortable ring, that also has a built-in silent vibrating alarm that will notify you when you are experiencing either an abnormal heart rhythm or oxygen level.

Finally, both the Apple Watch Series 6 (starting at $399) and the Fitbit with SP02 (from the Versa, Versa 2, Versa 3, Versa Lite, Ionic, and Sense collections, starting at $179) will also continuously track oxygen at night. Unlike the devices above, these are marketed for “wellness” and not FDA registered or approved for the SP02 function but still provide valuable information that may alert you to a potential problem. Both will provide a detailed nighttime oxygenation report with your average oxygen level, along with a range of your high and low level. The Fitbit doesn’t record oxygenation below 80% and neither will alert you to an episode of stopped breathing. Each has reported issues with accuracy that can sometimes be rectified by remaining still.

All of the devices above can be used without WiFi during the night and then downloaded via Bluetooth upon wakening to get your report.

If you find that you do have significant drops in oxygen saturation throughout the night, talk to your physician about setting up a formal sleep study. Many physicians are now arranging for home sleep studies. This is typically covered by insurance and will determine the treatment plan. The most common treatment is a portable oxygen machine that provides Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, commonly called CPAP. Many dental professionals can offer appliances that hold the airway open while you sleep. Some have special training and offer non-surgical options that will help to restructure facial bones to help your tongue sit properly in your mouth while you sleep. These often allow you to discontinue CPAP even if it is initially needed. Rarely is surgery necessary. Once you’ve been treated, it's very helpful to periodically monitor oxygen saturation levels throughout the night to ensure that the treatment is effective.

Hope that helps !

Warmly,

Lucy
Lucy Townsend
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCOACH Coach
Certified Patient Advocate
JimH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Looking for an oxygen monitor

Post by JimH »