New to forum

Conferences, webinars, and other gatherings; online and in person.
Whatnow?
New User
New User

New to forum

Post by Whatnow? »

Hi all, I just heard of this site yesterday! My husband is E4/E4 and we have been well aware that he was on the path to Alzheimer's for years. Both of his parents had dementia and so the signs were very obvious to us early on in his 50s. He is now 66 years old and has had the diagnosis of AD following a clinical trial he participated in about 6 years ago. At the time, the trial gave him some hope for his condition but, in the end, the trial was stopped due to lack of results. However, I feel we would likely never have had the tests done that were included in the trial. Lumbar puncture, PET scan, APOe testing, eye screening,MRIs. They all confirmed our worst fears.
I have read many books and articles on the subject to try to derail the progression but my husband has basically thrown in the towel believing nothing will help. He believes, as so many others do, that all he can do is wait it out and die.
I have always felt that a high carbohydrate diet was unhealthy and, when my granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 5 years old, I was even more aware of how many carbs we were eating. Every carb she consumed had to be counted in order to determine her insulin injections. So I am appalled by my husbands intake at breakfast alone! I'm certain he must be insulin resistant at this point. However, his family doctor tells him he is healthy and "good for him for eating so well". This makes it hard for me to be convincing.
Just recently his doctor started him on Donepezil 5mg. I have no faith in this making a change in his cognition but I felt, possibly, that it might help change his attitude if he believed it could work.
I suppose I joined this group to learn as much as I can and try to make little changes in his diet and supplements and add to the changes as I go. He is an avid cyclist so gets plenty of exercise, is tall and thin with minimal body fat in his waist area, and has episodes of sleep apnea. Currently he takes vitamin D3, B, calcium, magnesium, turmeric, and Omega 3s.
I have read Dr. Bredesen's book "The First Survivors of Alzheimers" and plan to pick up a copy of his earlier book so we can start on his protocol. Any other suggestions that might be of urgency would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, I will continue to read through the forum and find answers to my many questions. Bless you all for your commitment to the fight to end AD!
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New to forum

Post by ro.oconnor »

Whatnow? wrote:Hi all, I just heard of this site yesterday! My husband is E4/E4 and we have been well aware that he was on the path to Alzheimer's for years. Both of his parents had dementia and so the signs were very obvious to us early on in his 50s. He is now 66 years old and has had the diagnosis of AD following a clinical trial he participated in about 6 years ago. At the time, the trial gave him some hope for his condition but, in the end, the trial was stopped due to lack of results. However, I feel we would likely never have had the tests done that were included in the trial. Lumbar puncture, PET scan, APOe testing, eye screening,MRIs. They all confirmed our worst fears.
I have read many books and articles on the subject to try to derail the progression but my husband has basically thrown in the towel believing nothing will help. He believes, as so many others do, that all he can do is wait it out and die.
I have always felt that a high carbohydrate diet was unhealthy and, when my granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 5 years old, I was even more aware of how many carbs we were eating. Every carb she consumed had to be counted in order to determine her insulin injections. So I am appalled by my husbands intake at breakfast alone! I'm certain he must be insulin resistant at this point. However, his family doctor tells him he is healthy and "good for him for eating so well". This makes it hard for me to be convincing.
Just recently his doctor started him on Donepezil 5mg. I have no faith in this making a change in his cognition but I felt, possibly, that it might help change his attitude if he believed it could work.
I suppose I joined this group to learn as much as I can and try to make little changes in his diet and supplements and add to the changes as I go. He is an avid cyclist so gets plenty of exercise, is tall and thin with minimal body fat in his waist area, and has episodes of sleep apnea. Currently he takes vitamin D3, B, calcium, magnesium, turmeric, and Omega 3s.
I have read Dr. Bredesen's book "The First Survivors of Alzheimers" and plan to pick up a copy of his earlier book so we can start on his protocol. Any other suggestions that might be of urgency would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile, I will continue to read through the forum and find answers to my many questions. Bless you all for your commitment to the fight to end AD!
Welcome to the ApoE4.info website, Whatnow?! I'm so glad that you found us!

Thank you for sharing about your journey with your husband. Your courageous dedication to his health is inspiring. I hope you will find this to be a very supportive community as you seek the answers to your questions.

If you have specific topics that you would like to investigate, there is a helpful search tool available in the top right-hand side of the webpage that you can access by selecting the three dots next to your log-in id. There you can search for topics in the various forums. You may also find the Primer helpful, as it includes researched-based prevention strategies. Additionally, you may want to check out the How-to Guide which includes tricks and tips for getting the most out of the discussion forums. And finally, you may be interested in visiting Our Stories. There you can browse the stories of other members and if you are comfortable, share your own.

If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the website, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach

ApoE 3/4