Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

Post by Gail »

Emily C wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:11 pm Hi Gail,

Thanks for letting the community know that you've signed up for Prodrome testing and the MOD4 project. Please let us know how the process goes for you and whether you find the results helpful. In regards to your question about how much product to take and which kinds, upon receiving your results by email, you will be asked to schedule a consult (I believe approx. 30 mins.) with a member of the Prodrome team who will go over the results with you, and s/he will likely recommend which products to take and how often, based on your results - make sure to ask during the consult if the issue does not get raised. (no extra charge for the consult)
Fingers crossed you have a positive experience!

Emily
Hello All,
Here is how the process went for me. I used an mobile pheblomist purchased from and scheduled by Prodrome for $149. The process went smoothly. The blood draw occurred on a Monday morning and I got an email from Prodrome the following Friday that my blood sample had been received and was in good condition. They said their lab was backed up and it would be 10 business days to get the results. Sure enough 2 weeks later I got my results in an email (10 business days later).

The result format has changed from what I heard described in earlier posts (I believe - earlier results may have been labeled "optimal" or not "optimal" and were shown along a continuum line based on percentile - not certain). But the format for results changed sometime in Jan 2022. The new format is described in an educational video entitled
Prodromescan Report Interpretation Updated Jan 2022.
at this location https://drgoodenowe.com/blood-testing/

To me just looking at the Prodromescan lab results without watching the above video was not helpful. The lab results are presented both as a percentile scan and then as a Z-score indicating your standard deviation from the mean. But there are no "normal ranges" indicating where your results fall as there are in most other lab results I've seen.

But the video was helpful in interpreting scores. Dr. Goodenowe reviews 3 typical (I am guessing) Prodromescan results. He looks at patterns of results especially to evaluate Mitochondrial and Peroxismal function. I didn't fit neatly into these patterns. Perhaps I might listen a second and third time to this video to really glean all the information this report has to offer. I have not yet had my consultation and I am confident the consultation will help. I think watching the above video first before listening to the consultation will help me to have better and more informed questions.
A couple of quick takeaways:
Dr. Goodenow seems to be critical of statins (thinks they maybe harmful to Mitochondrial health). He seems to believe there is a sweet spot for HDL (between 50 and 100 but not over 100). He seems to believe Total Cholesterol should be optimally around 220 to 250.

I hope my simple review is helpful to a few who are just starting their journey with Plasmalogens.
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Hi Gail,

Your review is super helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to give us a good understanding of your experience. So much good info! I did my first round of blood test/results/consult in the summer of 2021, so I am grateful for the tip that Dr. Goodenowe's educational video was updated in January of this year, and for the hyperlink. I looked at the video and I agree with you, that it is very helpful to understanding our individual reports.

The individual consult will help personalize the info from the video! Also, a fantastic tip that I received from 2 other members is to ask that the consult be recorded. In my experience, Dr. Goodenowe has so many tips as he is talking - it is hard to jot it all down. Don't do what I did - I assumed the consult was being recorded and like a dummy, asked if I was correct on that point only near the end of the session. Ask at the beginning to ensure the consult gets recorded. You might even state your interest in the consult being recorded in your response to the person from Prodrome who will contact you by email to schedule the consult. Doing so might avoid any mix-up about your interest in it being recorded.

Many thanks again, for your very helpful review. Please let us know how your consult goes!
Hardy
New User
New User

Post by Hardy »

Hi folks.

I'm fairly new to the group. I'm a 62 year old male, being 3/4 and I live in Europe.
I wonder how I can participate in the Metabolomic Project. I'm very interested in getting the ProdromeScan but wonder if I have to travel to the USA or Canada to complete the task. Travelling within Europe would admittedly be more economical.
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

Hardy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am Hi folks.

I'm fairly new to the group. I'm a 62 year old male, being 3/4 and I live in Europe.
I wonder how I can participate in the Metabolomic Project. I'm very interested in getting the ProdromeScan but wonder if I have to travel to the USA or Canada to complete the task. Travelling within Europe would admittedly be more economical.
Hi Hardy,

Thank you for your post. As a welcome intern, I want to ensure you are able to access the information you need and find answers to your questions.

Several of our members have participated in Dr. Dayan Goodenowe's Metabolomic Project. Some of them may be able to answer your question about access in Europe. You may find this link to the forum topic with the results of the program useful:

Prodrome blood test results, initial and over time

I'm sure we'd all benefit from learning about your experience with ApoE4. Please feel free to post on Our Stories. This is also a great place to learn of others' experiences.

Also, if you haven't already found them, here are links to the Primer and a guide to how to navigate the site.

Thank you again for posting and I hope you find the support you need. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Be well,

Kathleen
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hardy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am
Hi Hardy, This is on the Prodrome website ( www.Prodrome.com) :
The ProdromeScan blood test is only available through healthcare professionals – contact us and we can help you find a provider! We currently only ship our kits within the USA. Let us know if you would like to order from another country as we have a growing list of international providers including in Europe, Australia, and Japan.
If you contact Prodrome Science, they can set you up with a provider for the ProdromeScan.
To be included in The Metabolomic Project, on the top of the requisition form (pg 1) write “APOE4 Research Project “ when you submit it with the blood sample .
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi All,

Got this in an email and am sharing. I have another commitment & contacted them. They told me they will record this webinar and send out an email to those who have registered with a link.

Dr. Dayan Goodenowe is hosting a LIVE webinar titled "Unlocking the Power of Plasmalogens” which will provide valuable insights into how the powerful nutrient plasmalogen can help support brain health.

Webinar Details:
Date: Wednesday, December 6
Time: 5pm PST, 8 pm EST
Platform: Zoom
Key Topics Covered:

The Power of Plasmalogens: Real Stories of Health Restoration Using Plasmalogens
The Role of Plasmalogens in Cellular Function, Alzheimer’s, Autism, ALS and more
How Plasmalogens Can Help to Restore Brain Health and Support a Healthy Brain
Practical Tips for Maintaining Optimal Plasmalogen Levels
Q&A Session: Get Your Questions Answered Live by Dr. Goodenowe

To register, click on the following link
Tincup
E3,E4
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

Greetings
I am a newbie 4/4

Can someone share is this test the same metrics in Dr Dale Brendsen’s book? Also are the results in your emr and then would disqualify you for long term insurance in the future?

Can someone please share the costs associated with this biomarker testing and supplements and their results using this program. Also does it provide information on the best food to eat? Is it similar in staying in ketosis.

Thank you
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Computer15 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:08 am Can someone share is this test the same metrics in Dr Dale Brendsen’s book? Also are the results in your emr and then would disqualify you for long term insurance in the future?

Can someone please share the costs associated with this biomarker testing and supplements and their results using this program. Also does it provide information on the best food to eat? Is it similar in staying in ketosis.
This is a test that was developed by Dr. Dayan Goodenowe, completely separate from Dr. Bredesen's work. 20+ years ago he developed an ultra high resolution mass spectrometry machine that could analyze a sample for 1000's of analytes at once. One of the way he used the machine was to analyze the blood of subjects with and without Alzheimers. He found that plasmalogen levels were vastly different. At the time, he was not even familiar with plasmalogens. These are made by the body, but production dramatically falls off as we age. While plasmalogens are in the food we eat, their chemical structure is modified by stomach acid, so consumption is not effective at increasing them. Goodenowe then developed plasmalogen precursors, which survive the path through the stomach and can be used by the body to make plasmalogens. This does not have anything to do with being in ketosis. However, strength training and fasting (including intermittent fasting/time restricted eating) may increase plasmalogen levels.

We have had three podcasts with Dr. Goodenowe, which can be found in this list.. Additionally, he wrote a book on the topic. His plasmalogen supplements can be found here. His test is listed on this link as well. There is a discount code for those in our program listed in this post.

I do not believe the results of this test would show up in your EMR (nor would most insurers even be aware of this test or how to interpret it IMO).

Bottom line is that while plasmalogen levels are not associated with ApoE4 status, a higher level of plasmalogens in the body are required to offset issues associated with ApoE4. This is explained in the first two podcasts and in Dr. Goodenowe's book.

Encouraging results of a small interventional trial were published last year as well as presented at the Alzheimer's Association meeting in Denver.
Tincup
E3,E4
Computer15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Computer15 »

Thank you Tincup
So do most people do this and the bredsen protocol?
The cost associated with just the brendsen program is a lot plus an added program. Are the supplements similar or different?

You seem to be familiar w brendsen I feel like I am eating the same stuff over and over. Do we need to be in ketosis daily or just several times a week? Also anywhere I can get a list of acceptable foods to eat?

Thank you for your help. All the info is a a lot and I don’t have a ton of time as I work full time and have 4 young kids to care for.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Computer15 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:45 pm So do most people do this and the bredsen protocol?
I would say few folks do this, but I have no way of knowing specifically.
The cost associated with just the brendsen program is a lot plus an added program. Are the supplements similar or different?
Very different
You seem to be familiar w brendsen I feel like I am eating the same stuff over and over. Do we need to be in ketosis daily or just several times a week? Also anywhere I can get a list of acceptable foods to eat?

Thank you for your help. All the info is a a lot and I don’t have a ton of time as I work full time and have 4 young kids to care for.
Scanning your past posts, it looks like you've got a heck of a lot on your plate. A mother with dementia, 4 young kids and a full time job.

Caveat. I don't have all the answers, I'm not medically trained nor a scientist or a health coach. I'm a 68 year old man with E4, an E4/4 wife, had a mother who died with dementia and I have an engineering undergrad and have been using my analysis skills to try to figure out the best course for me for the last nearly 10 years.

I have family members in their mid to late 30's with E4 genes. My hypothesis is that the earlier you start on this the less strict you need to be. In your situation, you don't have the time (or money) to do everything, nobody does. My advice to family members is to build a good foundation, working on the basics:

-Stress. Physiological sighing for 5 minutes is the shortest method I'm aware of with documented benefits. Explanation with video. Study

-Sleep

-Circadian rhythm - thoughts included with sleep (which can include morning/evening exposure to sun)

-Exercise
In my case, I prioritise resistance training with sufficient recovery time, then "Zone 2" which is broadly defined as mild exercise such that if on a call, the other person would know you were exercising, but you would not be out of breath & lastly some max heart rate interval training, done less frequently.

-Food. My first priority is to eat whole food. I've attached a screenshot of Bredesen's food pyramid from his Program book. On ketosis, my take is that having serum ketones is a proxy for having low insulin as high serum insulin = no ketones. Ketones are also signalling molecules as well as an alternate brain fuel. At 41, the alternate brain fuel may be less important. If you are female, you are nearing the time when menopause can occur. I have one friend who went into menopause at 38. For some women, the estrogen withdrawal of menopause can impair brain glucose utilization. For them, ketones may be very important to prevent a brain energy crisis. Many of them can tell the difference in how their brain feels with a serum level of 1 mmol/L beta hydroxybutyrate (BHB) or more vs less. Others, it doesn't matter. For my wife and I, we function the same at 0 BHB or 8.0 (maxing out the meter) BHB. Having good metabolic health is very important, but you don't necessarily need to be in strong ketosis to achieve this. Also, if female, the time to consider HRT is in perimenopause.

I personally make protein (fish/shell fish in my case) a priority and build around it (I'm far from a carnivore). I try to have the most nutrient dense meals (including micronutrients) for the least calories, staying away from foods that are inflammatory to me. Though I test in mild ketosis on a morning fingerstick (0.5-1.0 mmol BHB), I eat a lot more starches/carbs than suggested in Bredesen's starting protocol. There is no settled protocol on diet. In our group there are people who advocate carnivore, others a WFPBNO (whole food plant based no oil) approach, others more on a Mediterranean diet and so on. I think most agree that a whole foods approach is best.

- Testing. You don't need to test the world initially, but things like insulin, glucose, homocysteine, B12 level, and 25OHD (Vitamin D3) level are important, & if off, doing something to correct them makes sense.

I suggest you look at your life and see where it is most out of alignment, then select one thing to work on and do what you can. Then, once that is in better shape, and ingrained in your lifestyle, select something else to work on (and so on).
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.57.56 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4