Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

Post by Emily C »

Hi,

This is Emily, coordinating the MOD4 project. Yes! You can jump in any time. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask here.

Best wishes,

Emily
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

Hello MOD4 Group: I wanted to let you know that I have signed up for this exciting group and will receive my test kit soon. I am a 25 year Type 1 diabetic with Graves Disease but feel very healthy and fit. I'm a researcher at heart. Also developed a strange hearing loss in my 40's that destroyed the synapses between my normal hair cells in my cochlea. My brain did not receive timing information, so speech sounded like humming. Fortunately I was implanted with a cochlear implant and it restored neural synchrony again to my brain. An amazing experience and it started my love affair with the human brain.
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Welcome to the MOD4 project, JulieAnnie! I'm Emily, a fellow researcher at heart, and coordinating this project. Don't hesitate to reach out as you move forward with any questions you have or insights you have learned. And thanks in advance for sharing your data with our group project.

I'm so glad to hear that your hearing issue got resolved. I can relate, having had strange hearing loss too that thankfully resolved.

Thanks for reaching out about joining the project.

Best wishes!

Emily
Curiosity Cat
New User
New User

Post by Curiosity Cat »

Hello,

I have been lurking on and off, but seeing this project has galvanized me into action. I have ordered my test. One question I have for people who have taken the test - how many vials of blood gets taken? Asking because I have always had a slightly below average RBC count and taking took many vials needs to be planned for!

Maria (3/4) - Aunt died of Lewy Body Dementia
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Curiosity Cat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 am One question I have for people who have taken the test - how many vials of blood gets taken?
Hi Maria,

My recollection is it is only one vial. If you are using their phlebotomist service, then no worries. If you are using your own phlebotomist (we did), then make sure they read the directions carefully. I think the sample needs to be centrifuged for 10-15 minutes (don't recall exactly, but a relatively long time, which is specified in the instructions).
Tincup
E3,E4
Curiosity Cat
New User
New User

Post by Curiosity Cat »

Tincup wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:23 pm
Curiosity Cat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 am One question I have for people who have taken the test - how many vials of blood gets taken?
Hi Maria,

My recollection is it is only one vial. If you are using their phlebotomist service, then no worries. If you are using your own phlebotomist (we did), then make sure they read the directions carefully. I think the sample needs to be centrifuged for 10-15 minutes (don't recall exactly, but a relatively long time, which is specified in the instructions).
Thanks so much! That is a relief!
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Emily,

Is there a thread on this site where users are sharing their results from the Prodrome Blood scan? I hate to bother you with this question - but I have done a search on several different key words and have not found one.
Thank you for your help!

Gail 3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Gail wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:33 pm Is there a thread on this site where users are sharing their results from the Prodrome Blood scan? I hate to bother you with this question - but I have done a search on several different key words and have not found one.
Hi Gail,

Our volunteer tech team is currently working on software to display anonymous results. It isn't done yet. Per the 1st post
1. MOD4 participants receive test results directly via email in two formats. The first is the standard color-coded PDF result document that Prodrome delivers to all customers and that puts the numeric results in context. Is a given result optimal, sub-optimal, cautionary, or poor? If not optimal, is it high or low?

The second is a CSV file that is suitable for direct database import. Crucially, this means that you can forward the CSV file to mod4@apoe4.info, and we can anonymize and import it automatically. There's no need for anyone to retype the results.

If you've previously had a ProdromeScan and would like to include that in the MOD4 project, simply write “For APOE 4 Research Project" on the top of the Test Requisition Form (1 page of the paperwork in the kit) at the time of your next blood test kit submittal to Prodrome. They will send your current and past results to you in a CSV file that you can pass along to us at mod4@apoe4.info
Note you want to let them know on your Test Requisition Form (1 page of the paperwork in the kit) that it is For APOE 4 Research Project so that you get both the CSV & PDF formats of the results.
Tincup
E3,E4
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Tincup,
As always - you are helpful!
Thanks!
Gail 3/4
Theresa.J
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Theresa.J »

Curiosity Cat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 am Hello,

I have been lurking on and off, but seeing this project has galvanized me into action. I have ordered my test. One question I have for people who have taken the test - how many vials of blood gets taken? Asking because I have always had a slightly below average RBC count and taking took many vials needs to be planned for!

Maria (3/4) - Aunt died of Lewy Body Dementia
Hi Maria -

Glad that you've jumped into this forum and are connecting with others involved in the MOD4 project. Your courage and curiosity are commendable!

It sounds like you've been on the site for a while and have some familiarity with it. As a Welcome Intern, let me share a few good resources that can help you get the most out of the site. If you haven't seen it already, you may want to check out the Primer. It includes detailed information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies. In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and subscribe to topics of interest. And finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences, you can check out Our Stories.

The MOD4 project offers a tremendous learning opportunity. Again, bravo for taking that first step by ordering the blood test. Please feel free to reach out any time with additional questions! As you can see, it is a very welcoming community!

Warmly,
TheresaJ
Theresa.J, MPH
ApoE4.info Support Team Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach