Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

Post by floramaria »

Emily C wrote:I forgot to include an important part of the instructions for you to receive your 2 CSV files - when you send back your next test kit to Prodrome, please write "APOE4 Project" at the top of the Test Requisition Form. This will alert Prodrome to send the 2 CSV files.
Sorry about the delay on this information!
Take care,
Emily
Thanks again. No worries about the delay.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Both of my parents (my mom is 3/4) have had two rounds of Prodrome Scan testing and supplements. I understand that all they need to do to participate in the project is to alert Prodrome to send all their test results next time they get a scan? Or maybe just Mom, as Dad is a 3/3.

Over the last couple of years, they've lost a lot of muscle strength and have just started using Kaatsu bands. I read that Kaatsu bands are supposed to increase plasmalogen levels. Is that the case, and if so, could using the bands impact the study's results?

Debbie
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

DebbieG wrote:Both of my parents (my mom is 3/4) have had two rounds of Prodrome Scan testing and supplements. I understand that all they need to do to participate in the project is to alert Prodrome to send all their test results next time they get a scan? Or maybe just Mom, as Dad is a 3/3.

Over the last couple of years, they've lost a lot of muscle strength and have just started using Kaatsu bands. I read that Kaatsu bands are supposed to increase plasmalogen levels. Is that the case, and if so, could using the bands impact the study's results?

Debbie
Hi Debbie! Sorry for our slow response. Emily, our project manager, will be providing you with instructions for how to get the CSV files for past and future blood tests. Your dad's results are also welcome.

This isn't a formal research study, but rather an opportunity for our members to do their own N=1 research. We may find some interesting signals that result in formal research but we are just in the early stages. I've also heard that KAATSU temporarily increases plasmalogen levels. That may be an interesting N=1 experiment for your parents to conduct; they could do one test directly after KAATSU and another without KAATSU. I'm running my own N=1 research now to see if 1 tbs of powdered sunflower lecithin impacts my results. It tastes horrible so I'm hoping it won't make a positive difference. ;)
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Julie G wrote:
DebbieG wrote:Both of my parents (my mom is 3/4) have had two rounds of Prodrome Scan testing and supplements. I understand that all they need to do to participate in the project is to alert Prodrome to send all their test results next time they get a scan? Or maybe just Mom, as Dad is a 3/3.

Debbie
Hi Debbie! Sorry for our slow response. Emily, our project manager, will be providing you with instructions for how to get the CSV files for past and future blood tests. Your dad's results are also welcome.

This isn't a formal research study, but rather an opportunity for our members to do their own N=1 research. We may find some interesting signals that result in formal research but we are just in the early stages. I've also heard that KAATSU temporarily increases plasmalogen levels. That may be an interesting N=1 experiment for your parents to conduct; they could do one test directly after KAATSU and another without KAATSU. I'm running my own N=1 research now to see if 1 tbs of powdered sunflower lecithin impacts my results. It tastes horrible so I'm hoping it won't make a positive difference. ;)
Thanks, Julie! My parents will be happy to have this support for their N=1 research. They are also not enjoying sunflower lecithin. Dad finds soy lecithin to be less objectionable but last I heard they were still using the sunflower variety. They started using Kaatsu bands halfway through the latest period between Prodrome scans and they have a modified plasmalogen supplement prescription since the last scan. I doubt they'll be able to get any information on the impact of Kaatsu bands on plasmalogen levels.
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Debbie
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your good questions! I see Julie responded to your question about Kaatsu bands. It will be interesting to learn if they find the bands helpful with their muscle strength and/or plasmalogen levels.

As Julie stated, both your parents can participate in the research. Thank you for arranging their participation!

Regarding how to obtain your parents previous test results as CSV files from Prodrome, am I correct that they will be doing a 3rd round of testing? If so, and because they have 2 prior rounds of results, on their next Test Requisition Form (sent with their 3rd test kit to Prodrome), please write APOE4 PROJECT (2 PRIOR RESULTS) at the top. This will alert Prodrome to send 3 CSV files with their next round of results.
If they are not planning on doing a 3rd round of testing (and wish for only the prior 2 test results in CSV form), please let me know, and I will reach out to Prodrome regarding how they want to handle the request.

I hope this info is helpful. Please post any further questions you might have.

Best wishes,
Emily
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

DebbieG wrote:Over the last couple of years, they've lost a lot of muscle strength and have just started using Kaatsu bands. I read that Kaatsu bands are supposed to increase plasmalogen levels. Is that the case, and if so, could using the bands impact the study's results?
The KAATSU band increase in plasmalogen levels was from an n=1 study on Steven Munatones, KAATSU CEO with tests done by Dayan Goodenowe. I learned of this from a conversation with Steven and was invited to a Zoom presentation on the topic by Dr. Goodenowe. The tests did show an acute increase in plasmalogen levels. I don't remember the time interval. Personally, I'd been using KAATSU bands and taking 1mL ProdromeNeuro/day for about 18 months before my first test. My Choline Phospholipids (DHA) results look good and I can't say what the reason was. Now my results are in the 80-90% range and I recall Steven's being in the 60 ish%.
Tincup
E3,E4
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Emily C wrote:

Debbie
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your good questions! I see Julie responded to your question about Kaatsu bands. It will be interesting to learn if they find the bands helpful with their muscle strength and/or plasmalogen levels.

As Julie stated, both your parents can participate in the research. Thank you for arranging their participation!

Regarding how to obtain your parents previous test results as CSV files from Prodrome, am I correct that they will be doing a 3rd round of testing? If so, and because they have 2 prior rounds of results, on their next Test Requisition Form (sent with their 3rd test kit to Prodrome), please write APOE4 PROJECT (2 PRIOR RESULTS) at the top. This will alert Prodrome to send 3 CSV files with their next round of results.
If they are not planning on doing a 3rd round of testing (and wish for only the prior 2 test results in CSV form), please let me know, and I will reach out to Prodrome regarding how they want to handle the request.

I hope this info is helpful. Please post any further questions you might have.

Best wishes,
Emily
Thanks, Emily. They are going to do a third round of testing, so I'll ask them to make that notation at the top of their test requisition forms.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Friends, we have a few updates to add to our announcement regarding the launch of our metabolomic project, MOD4 (metabolomics, open-access, dataset for ApoE4.info). There were four grey areas that we have clarified with Prodrome and share with you here, to facilitate your participation in the project going forward.

1. The discounts from Prodrome for the ApoE4 Research Group Blood Test and the ApoE4 Research Group Bundle, accessible through these links, are for members who are participating in our MOD4 research project.

There is no formal sign-up for members wishing to participate in MOD4. We trust that you will forward the CSV file(s) of your blood test(s) that you receive from Prodrome to the MOD4 project email, mod4@apoe4.info. (The CSV file is best suited for direct database import.)

2. Prodrome is putting together a bundled discount for products alone, intended for MOD4 research project participants who are interested in purchasing more than one bottle of Prodrome products. We will make an announcement in this forum when Prodrome has this discount ready for use; they estimate it will be available in 2-3 weeks.

3. Prodrome’s current offer of 25% off any Prodrome products or blood tests extended to our group is for all members of ApoE4.info, regardless of participation in the research project. Use the code APOE4GROUP25 at the checkout stage on the Prodrome Store website.

4. For members participating in MOD4 and having blood testing through Prodrome: At the time of your blood test kit submittal to Prodrome, on the Test Requisition Form (1 page of the paperwork in the kit), please write on the top of the form, “For APOE 4 Research Project.” This will alert Prodrome to send your blood test results in CSV form (for our MOD4 database), in addition to their usual form. It will also alert Prodrome to send any blood test results you might have received prior to MOD4 participation in CSV file form along with your current results. (We will appreciate you submitting those earlier results to the MOD4 project as well!)

We hope this clears up any confusion regarding Prodrome’s discounts and how to ensure receipt of your blood test results in both forms. Please post any questions or concerns you might have in this forum and Emily will respond promptly.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Julie G wrote:3. Prodrome’s current offer of 25% off any Prodrome products or blood tests extended to our group is for all members of ApoE4.info, regardless of participation in the research project. Use the code APOE4GROUP25 at the checkout stage on the Prodrome Store website.
Julie, in the first post, you put in some links under point 3 that seem to provide 40% off to participants...

https://prodrome.com/product/apoe4-rese ... lood-test/
https://prodrome.com/product/apoe4-rese ... up-bundle/

Is that not still available? And are you suggesting that we get the $1,300 bundle? The evidence looks good, but that's a lot...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Julie, in the first post, you put in some links under point 3 that seem to provide 40% off to participants...

https://prodrome.com/product/apoe4-rese ... lood-test/
https://prodrome.com/product/apoe4-rese ... up-bundle/

Is that not still available? And are you suggesting that we get the $1,300 bundle? The evidence looks good, but that's a lot...
Those opportunities are available to anyone participating in the MOD4 project. Everyone else can use the 25% code.