Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Soft Launch of Our Metabolomic Project

Post by DebbieG »

Tincup wrote:
DebbieG wrote:Over the last couple of years, they've lost a lot of muscle strength and have just started using Kaatsu bands. I read that Kaatsu bands are supposed to increase plasmalogen levels. Is that the case, and if so, could using the bands impact the study's results?
The KAATSU band increase in plasmalogen levels was from an n=1 study on Steven Munatones, KAATSU CEO with tests done by Dayan Goodenowe. I learned of this from a conversation with Steven and was invited to a Zoom presentation on the topic by Dr. Goodenowe. The tests did show an acute increase in plasmalogen levels. I don't remember the time interval. Personally, I'd been using KAATSU bands and taking 1mL ProdromeNeuro/day for about 18 months before my first test. My Choline Phospholipids (DHA) results look good and I can't say what the reason was. Now my results are in the 80-90% range and I recall Steven's being in the 60 ish%.
Thanks, Tincup. The info I found was about Steve Munatones and his plasmalogen experiment with Dr. Goodenowe, but I can't find it now. Sounds like your plasmalogen protocol is working well, that's great!
viorea
New User
New User

Post by viorea »

Dear All,

1. on the Prodome website it says: "If you do not have a blood draw provider, you must add on our home blood draw provider." Can one use a general lab, such as Quest or another in-network for the draw itself, or one needs to do it at home?

2. The list of ProdromeScan biomarkers does not include vitamin status (probably not a topic of their research), can you recommend an additional or complementary general metabolomic test that would include that but still relevant to the apoe4 field? (my research uncovered Genova's Metabolomix, NutrEval, ION profile; SpectralCell Micronutrient testing, Vibrant America Micronutrients test)

3. Re: personalized testing in apoe4 carriers, I saw the IntelxxDNA podcast, would you recommend additional GENETIC testing companies offering apoe4 'specific' personalized nutrition/supplement advice?
Thank you, V.
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

Julie G wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:02 pm Prodrome is offering discounts on tests and supplements for MOD4 participants. You can begin participating in the project by ordering blood tests here and blood test/supplement bundles here. There is no formal sign-up for members wishing to participate in MOD4. Please forward the CSV file(s) of your blood test(s) that you receive from Prodrome to the MOD4 project email, mod4@apoe4.info. (The CSV file is best suited for direct database import.)
This is terrific, Julie G. Thanks so much for your work on this. I’m aware of Dr. Goodenowe’s work, but I need to refresh my understanding of it. I’m so drawn to the collective study!

I know this isn’t inexpensive, but it’s terrific that they’ve lowered the cost to collaborate with us. That’s promising for other potential collaborative research down the road, also. Kudos!!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

viorea wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:51 am 1. on the Prodome website it says: "If you do not have a blood draw provider, you must add on our home blood draw \
We have an independent phlebotomist group that we've used for blood draws for labs we were prescribed by Dr. Steven Gundry. We also used this same group for getting our Prodrome blood drawn. I've forgotten what our group charges, but it is in the range of $45 US per lab company (i.e. if you are getting 10 tubes for 3 different companies, the cost would be 3x$45). The Prodrome lab did have specific instructions for the lab, like "spin down for X minutes" or till everything is separated. These aren't the exact instructions, I'm just making this up for illustration. I'm sure Quest and LabCorp are out of the question for Prodrome. They always have been for our specialty labs for Gundry.

You might search on Phlebotomy Service near me or Blood Draw near me to find an independent service. You could also see if there is an " Any Lab Test Now" near you (a franchise, I think). Call whoever you find and see what they will do after telling them what you want.

For Prodrome, they will send ice packs that you will need to freeze and bring with you for the lab to use in sending your samples off.

I think the Prodrome was overnight FedEx to them, don't remember specifically. In any case we never test on a Friday and try to test early in the week so the sample is in transit for as short a time as possible (i.e. not over a weekend).
Tincup
E3,E4
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Hi vioria,

Thanks for your questions! Regarding blood draws, Tincup's advice is fantastic, and that is the route I recommend going. (The home draw through Prodrome will be the priciest, most likely.)

In response to your 2nd question, I can only offer that my functional medicine practitioner has recommended SpectraCell Micronutrient testing to me in the past, but there are certain states that this is not available in (mine being one of them).
CindyM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CindyM »

viorea wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:51 am Dear All,

1. on the Prodome website it says: "If you do not have a blood draw provider, you must add on our home blood draw provider." Can one use a general lab, such as Quest or another in-network for the draw itself, or one needs to do it at home?

2. The list of ProdromeScan biomarkers does not include vitamin status (probably not a topic of their research), can you recommend an additional or complementary general metabolomic test that would include that but still relevant to the apoe4 field? (my research uncovered Genova's Metabolomix, NutrEval, ION profile; SpectralCell Micronutrient testing, Vibrant America Micronutrients test)

3. Re: personalized testing in apoe4 carriers, I saw the IntelxxDNA podcast, would you recommend additional GENETIC testing companies offering apoe4 'specific' personalized nutrition/supplement advice?
Thank you, V.
Welcome Viorea! Glad to see you in the forum. Hopefully you are getting some of your questions answered by our contributors. If you haven't seen it already, I encourage you to check out our primer .This is a fantastic resource which explores areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. Our how-to guide is another helpful resource on how to search for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest and more. You can also check out threads that have been started by other members in our stories.

Again, welcome! We are here to assist you, so please feel free to reach out any time!

Best,

CindyM
Welcome Team Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
viorea
New User
New User

Post by viorea »

Thank you very much to all. viorea
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Hello All,

Just to let participants know, I've signed up for the Prodrome testing under the APOE4 link. So I should be getting a cdv file for you soon. I assume, depending on the test results we will be advised how much to take of the different products? How often will we need to retest? Thank you in advance for answering these questions.

Gail 3/4
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Hi Gail,

Thanks for letting the community know that you've signed up for Prodrome testing and the MOD4 project. Please let us know how the process goes for you and whether you find the results helpful. In regards to your question about how much product to take and which kinds, upon receiving your results by email, you will be asked to schedule a consult (I believe approx. 30 mins.) with a member of the Prodrome team who will go over the results with you, and s/he will likely recommend which products to take and how often, based on your results - make sure to ask during the consult if the issue does not get raised. (no extra charge for the consult)
Fingers crossed you have a positive experience!

Emily
Naposghost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Naposghost »

Hi Julie,
I just found this post. Is this something I an still jump in on?