Moving a loved one and re-homing a pet

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Moving a loved one and re-homing a pet

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote: Thanks, Nords. Certainly something we need to reassure her, that her grandnephew and wife will take good care of Charlie. I'm guessing they would be happy to send a picture now and then until she starts running with the bingo ladies. She loves bingo!
I'm not sure this idea would work, but I'll just toss it out there in case it ever feels like it might meet a need… Could her grandnephew and his wife set up a webcam where Charlie plays, sleeps or whathave you. Then the activities staff at the facility could log in to what hopefully could just be a private web address and she could watch him and check in on him? She could send him a toy and then see him playing with it? I wouldn't do try this right away, but maybe once she's stimulated in new ways and if Charlie keeps coming up. I could see how it might backfire too, and maybe photos are the simpler and better way to go.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My brother-in-law has recently passed, and my sister-in-law can not live on her own.
I don't have anything of substance to add, but wanted you to know that I care. I also know that you're an amazing sister-in-law and am sending good energy to you and the whole family as you sort through this crisis. So many of us E4 carriers end up being caretakers; comes with the territory, but doesn't make it any easier. -xo
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Julie G wrote:sending good energy to you and the whole family as you sort through this crisis
Thanks, you know better than most the challenges. We're just taking it a day at a time.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Just an update to this question. Once my SIL knew that Charlie was going to a home she "trusted", she was okay moving into memory care first.

The reality with a failing memory is that she has forgotten about Charlie after several weeks, and no longer asks about him.

On the upside, we found a great memory care facility in their city, which keeps their residents busy with lots of activities. My SIL has a set of new friends, enjoys bingo, Trivial Pursuit (they make up answers and all laugh about them), and exercise class (she never did this before). She has always been a gregarious person and being with a variety of people has been very positive for her. So has eating regularly, which keeps her from resorting to the Snickers bars when she gets hungry.

For anyone facing this situation, I'll honestly say it's been a tough journey for my husband, but doable. The things we thought that would cause a blow up, turned out not to be a problem, like showing her the room she would move into. We learned that we could add things to her calendar, or leave a piece of paper that would remind her of things we had discussed or needed to do, which helped immensely, too. We're just now back home after 2 months, so the reality is these things all take more time than you expect.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am Just an update to this question. Once my SIL knew that Charlie was going to a home she "trusted", she was okay moving into memory care first.

The reality with a failing memory is that she has forgotten about Charlie after several weeks, and no longer asks about him.

On the upside, we found a great memory care facility in their city, which keeps their residents busy with lots of activities. My SIL has a set of new friends, enjoys bingo, Trivial Pursuit (they make up answers and all laugh about them), and exercise class (she never did this before). She has always been a gregarious person and being with a variety of people has been very positive for her. So has eating regularly, which keeps her from resorting to the Snickers bars when she gets hungry.

For anyone facing this situation, I'll honestly say it's been a tough journey for my husband, but doable. The things we thought that would cause a blow up, turned out not to be a problem, like showing her the room she would move into. We learned that we could add things to her calendar, or leave a piece of paper that would remind her of things we had discussed or needed to do, which helped immensely, too. We're just now back home after 2 months, so the reality is these things all take more time than you expect.
This is such a great update! Good work and welcome home!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

SusanJ wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am Just an update to this question. Once my SIL knew that Charlie was going to a home she "trusted", she was okay moving into memory care first....
On the upside, we found a great memory care facility in their city, which keeps their residents busy with lots of activities. My SIL has a set of new friends, enjoys bingo, Trivial Pursuit (they make up answers and all laugh about them), and exercise class (she never did this before)...We're just now back home after 2 months, so the reality is these things all take more time than you expect.
Thank you for this update, Susan. I already want to adopt their rules for Trivial Pursuit! What a lovely idea to enjoy the friendships and the "play"--as we do when we play lots of games. (Outside of a bar, who ever cares about winners in Trivial Pursuit?!)

I love the advice that Marianne Talbot, a UK writer and philosopher at Oxford, gives about caring for her "Mum" at home and then with day programs and eventual nursing home care in Keeping Mum: Caring for Someone with Dementia: "If you're wondering if it's time for a higher level of care to meet your loved one's needs, it's probably already past time." Her own Mum loved the day program where she too made friends and found laughter.

You and your husband are some amazing warrior/angels!
4/4 and still an optimist!
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

SusanJ wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am Just an update to this question. ...The things we thought that would cause a blow up, turned out not to be a problem, like showing her the room she would move into. We learned that we could add things to her calendar, or leave a piece of paper that would remind her of things we had discussed or needed to do, which helped immensely, too. We're just now back home after 2 months, so the reality is these things all take more time than you expect.
Congratulations on caring for your SIL so well. It sounds like the transition was remarkably smooth. What a blessing for all of you!

I've often prayed for people I love to forget what they need to forget and remember what they need to remember. <3
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)