Introduction - would like to meet scientists/biotech folks involved in ApoE research

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
petri.d
Contributor
Contributor

Introduction - would like to meet scientists/biotech folks involved in ApoE research

Post by petri.d »

Hi,

I recently sequenced my genome and discovered I'm homozygous for the ApoE4 polymorphism (E4/E4). I also have other mutations, besides ApoE4, that further increase my chances of developing Alzheimer's.

I'm 44 yrs. old and a molecular biologist by training. I have a PhD and currently lead the research for a biotech company developing a treatment for brain cancer.

I'd like to use my free time to work on drugs and therapeutics to mitigate the effects of ApoE4. Eventually, I'd like to start a company.

I am new to the ApoE and Alzheimer's field. I am trying to learn quickly but still have a long way to go. I would really like to meet other scientists and folks involved in biotech who are working on ApoE therapeutics.

If there are any scientists/researchers on this website please let me know as I'd love to connect!

Thank you!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Introduction - would like to meet scientists/biotech folks involved in ApoE research

Post by Tincup »

petri.d wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:54 am I am new to the ApoE and Alzheimer's field. I am trying to learn quickly but still have a long way to go. I would really like to meet other scientists and folks involved in biotech who are working on ApoE therapeutics.

If there are any scientists/researchers on this website please let me know as I'd love to connect!
Welcome petri.d !

I'm going to tag
Julie G wrote:
so she sees this, as she travels in these circles and may be able to make some connections between you and some of the researchers.
Tincup
E3,E4
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introduction - would like to meet scientists/biotech folks involved in ApoE research

Post by ro.oconnor »

petri.d wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:54 am Hi,

I recently sequenced my genome and discovered I'm homozygous for the ApoE4 polymorphism (E4/E4). I also have other mutations, besides ApoE4, that further increase my chances of developing Alzheimer's.

I'm 44 yrs. old and a molecular biologist by training. I have a PhD and currently lead the research for a biotech company developing a treatment for brain cancer.

I'd like to use my free time to work on drugs and therapeutics to mitigate the effects of ApoE4. Eventually, I'd like to start a company.

I am new to the ApoE and Alzheimer's field. I am trying to learn quickly but still have a long way to go. I would really like to meet other scientists and folks involved in biotech who are working on ApoE therapeutics.

Thank you!
Welcome petri.d!
I am a support team intern and would like to welcome you the ApoE4.info website. Thank you for sharing your story and reaching out. I'm so glad that you found us! Discovering your ApoE4 status can be very distressing. I hope that it gives you comfort to keep in mind that your genes are not your destiny. This community and its members work together to support one another and help reduce the risk of cognitive decline through research based contributions. I am happy to see that you have already received a reply to your inquiry, and I'm sure that others in the field will reach out!

I think you have probably already taken a look around the website, but I would like to highlight a few areas that you may find helpful while gathering information and connecting with others. In addition to this forum, there are several other areas of the website that you can visit to learn more about Alzheimer's and the ApoE4 gene. First, there is a helpful search tool available in the top right-hand side of the webpage that you can access by selecting the three dots next to your log-in id. There you can search for topics in the various forums. You may also find the Primer helpful, as it includes researched-based prevention strategies. Additionally, you may want to check out the How-to Guide which includes tricks and tips for getting the most out of the discussion forums. And finally, if you haven't already, you may be interested in visiting Our Stories. There you can browse the stories of other members and if you are comfortable, share your own.

I hope you will continue to find the site helpful on your health journey. If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the site, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach

ApoE 3/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

petri.d wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:54 am I recently sequenced my genome and discovered I'm homozygous for the ApoE4 polymorphism (E4/E4). I also have other mutations, besides ApoE4, that further increase my chances of developing Alzheimer's.

Thank you!
Welcome petri.d from another ApoE 4/4 who is old enough to be your mother and likes to think that I'm one of many people I know whose 4/4 brains are still working just fine--in positions as varied as judge, law school professor, competitive bridge player and treasurer of a large metro area non-profit. I went back for a second Master's in a translational science-y field when I was 57 and enjoyed it throughly, serve on federal grant review panels as a Consumer Reviewer and enjoy watching sessions from the CTAD (Clinical Trials on Alzheimer's disease) conference and AAIC (Alz. Assn International Conference) to stretch my comprehension. And my mid-life health was not as good as it is now by many measures.

With your PhD and current position you have a singular benefit, since both are strongly linked to cognitive resilience even in the presence of AD biomarkers. Here are some suggestions for ways to connect with other researchers and monitor what's happening in the field--which is extraordinarily diverse!
  • ALZFORUM provides a weekly newsletter of topics and their importance, webinars, resources and comments from noted researchers on new findings
  • Google Scholar will provide a steady stream of new articles on ApoE 4 if you click on the 3 horizontal lines in the upper left corner and set that as an Alert.
  • You may be able to have your employer support virtual or hybrid conference attendance at any one of many conferences on ApoE4 and AD, especially given that people with ApoE 4 are not immune to the risk of brain cancer.
Finally, in addition to the great resources on this forum, you may want to check out these two:
The XX Brain by Dr. Lisa Mosconi and Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers.

We need smart people like you to translate the science for us lay persons, and to bring the lived perspective to the scientific community!
4/4 and still an optimist!
petri.d
Contributor
Contributor

Post by petri.d »

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas -- I really appreciate them and will follow up!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, my friend. I'm not a scientist, but I do work with a few in the biotech field. I'd like to set up a phone call to discuss an idea that one of my researcher friends has for a drug that could be particularly helpful for our community. Because you're relatively new to the community, you may not yet be able to receive private messages. For that reason, I'd appreciate if you'd reach out to me via email at juliegee@apoe4.info so we can set up a time to speak. Talk soon!
MinfulDT
New User
New User

Post by MinfulDT »

Good morning petri.d,
We are a company out of Wisconsin that just finished one clinical trail. Regarding Alzheimers and are lookin into starting another with high regard for the APOE status of our participants. We would love to get in contact with you.
All the best,
Alexandra Halverson- Clinical Director, Mindful Diagnostics & Therapeutics
www.mindfuldt@gmail.com
(715) 456-7336
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Alexandra,

As our posts are public, I would suggest removing your email address from your signature as a bot may scrape it and subject you to endless spam. Suggest PM'ing the original poster your email.

Best!

George Newman
Tincup
E3,E4
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ro.oconnor »

MinfulDT wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:28 am Good morning petri.d,
We are a company out of Wisconsin that just finished one clinical trail. Regarding Alzheimers and are lookin into starting another with high regard for the APOE status of our participants. We would love to get in contact with you.
petri.d wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:54 am Hi,

Thank you!
Hello MindfulDT,
Thank you for your response and welcome to the ApoE4.Info community! I am including petri.d in my response to you, so that they will be notified of your post. When replying to a post on the forum, it is a good idea to use the quote icon to begin your reply. That way, the person that you are replying to will be notified of your response. Here are a few other areas of the website that you may want to check out:

As you may have already discovered, there is a helpful search tool available in the top right-hand side of the webpage that you can access by selecting the three dots next to your log-in ID. There you can search for topics in the various forums.

Additionally, you may want to check out the How-to Guide which includes tricks and tips for getting the most out of the discussion forums.

If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the site, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach

ApoE 3/4