Choline for Apoe4

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Amykwill
Contributor
Contributor

Choline for Apoe4

Post by Amykwill »

Has anyone heard about this? Wondering if there is any downside to adding extra Choline to my already long list of supplements :D
https://news.mit.edu/2021/study-offers- ... imers-risk
Amy W
apoe3/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Choline for Apoe4

Post by circular »

Amykwill wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:55 pm Has anyone heard about this? Wondering if there is any downside to adding extra Choline to my already long list of supplements :D
Thank you for linking to that explanation about why choline appears to be especially important for people with ApoE4. I had never heard it explained quite like that. It made me feel a bit better about eating more animal protein than some others here. I prefer to get as much of my nutrition as possible through food. Despite eating plenty of animal protein (typical daily intake: 2 eggs, 1 serving of fish or seafood, 1 serving of poultry that I occasionally substitute with red meat), it can still be hard to get enough choline through diet. When I supplemented with choline my TMAO was high. When I stopped it went down, despite that my diet was high in choline. Some believe TMAO raises risk for cardiovascular disease, while others are not convinced of that. I haven't been supplementing, but I might consider a low dose to be sure I'm meating ( ;) ) my daily requirement.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Amykwill wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:55 pm Has anyone heard about this? Wondering if there is any downside to adding extra Choline to my already long list of supplements :D
I don't know of a downside. Choline deficiency is widespread. I take citicoline . From a Google search:
Citicoline is considered a dietetic source of choline and cytidine. ... It is hypothesized that, compared to choline moiety in other dietary sources such as phosphatidylcholine, choline in citicoline is less prone to conversion to trimethylamine (TMA) and its putative atherogenic N-oxide (TMAO).
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 pmFrom a Google search:
Citicoline is considered a dietetic source of choline and cytidine. ... It is hypothesized that, compared to choline moiety in other dietary sources such as phosphatidylcholine, choline in citicoline is less prone to conversion to trimethylamine (TMA) and its putative atherogenic N-oxide (TMAO).
Thanks for that floramaria! I had never heard it. Here's a link to the 2019 paper if anyone wants to see it:

Citicoline: A Superior Form of Choline?

I know I was supplementing with phosphatidylcholine when my TMAO was high. I think I will see if this paper's conclusion is seen in my own physiology by taking citicholine and retesting TMAO.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Bharati
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bharati »

We have organic sunflower lecithin powder everyday on our small bowl of berries. I have managed to reduce my homocysteine level from 9.3 µmol/L to 7.1 µmol/L since doing this for most of this year. We also have eggs virtually every day!
Sue Bharati
ApoE 3 / 4
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I'm not sure how many participating in this discussion have prostates glands...but my PSA has gone from about 1.5 to 2.3 in the last year, having started eating a few more eggs and commencing Jarrow CDP Citcholine 250mg/day.....
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

NewRon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:05 pm I'm not sure how many participating in this discussion have prostate glands...but my PSA has gone from about 1.5 to 2.3 in the last year, having started eating a few more eggs and commencing Jarrow CDP Citcholine 250mg/day.....
I stopped eating eggs in January 2021 as one our Gundry tests showed me spiking for autoimmune reasons on both whites and yolks. However, prior to that I commonly ate at least 6 eggs/day along with shellfish and my Nov 2020 test (prior to stopping eggs) was 0.4.ng/mL. It has ranged 0.3-0.4 for years, so at least for me, no correlation. I do consume a 1.5 tablespoons of powdered sunflower lecithin/day now, but haven't rerun the PSA.
Tincup
E3,E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I remember when I was pregnant, I read studies about choline helping memory and that it was implicated (maybe wi rodent studies) that choline during pregnancy and breastfeeding protected against AD later in life. I've taken choline or eaten eggs frequently since then.
E3/E4
VLB
New User
New User

Post by VLB »

I'm 50, have been taking 2100mg of choline bitartrate per day experimentally for about a week after reading the MIT study (https://news.mit.edu/2021/study-offers- ... imers-risk) and the Arizona State mouse study (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acel.13037). So far no downside to it that I've noticed. It feels like ten shots of espresso straight to the brain except that it doesn't mess with my sleep.
Jane S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jane S »

VLB wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 pm I'm 50, have been taking 2100mg of choline bitartrate per day experimentally for about a week after reading the MIT study (https://news.mit.edu/2021/study-offers- ... imers-risk) and the Arizona State mouse study (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acel.13037). So far no downside to it that I've noticed. It feels like ten shots of espresso straight to the brain except that it doesn't mess with my sleep.
Hello VLB,

Welcome! Thank you for joining our site and posting additional articles to the forum. It's so helpful to see a number of different takes on a topic. And thanks for posting abut your experience with choline. As you go along, I hope you'll continue to share.

As a Support Team Intern, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. I'll share some tools/resources you can use to explore the site, helping you get the most out of your experience.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members, you can check out Our Stories.

I'm so glad you joined and look forward to meeting you around the forum. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Take care.

Jane
-- Jane --
(daughter, granddaughter, and niece of people who lived with Alzheimer's)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach