What Are Your Current Prevention Strategies?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

What Are Your Current Prevention Strategies?

Post by CAngelS »

***I initially posted in the wrong category & was unable to move it. Reposting here!***

As we start the new year, I wondered if we might share our current preventative approaches and strategies to hold off Alzheimer's?

What did you do well last year? What are you planning to change up this year? Any recommendations??

I watch the forum often for ideas and I LOVE learning what others are doing. Whether you post all the time -- or like me, you tend to lurk :lol: -- your N1 strategies are informative and helpful for all of us!

My 2020 Strategies:
  • 1. Drinking silica water daily to chelate aluminum
  • 2. Donating blood &/or platelets to lower ferritin levels (BONUS: this helps others which I feel great about:))
  • 3. Fasting/adjusting diet to lower insulin resistance
  • 4. Taking supplements 5-6x/week (a good goal for me!) & walking 1-2x/week
  • 5. Memorizing scripture (working my brain in new ways:))
My Supplements:
  • Life Extensions Multivitamin:
    Vit. A (1500mcg), Vit. C (470mg), Vit. D3 (50mcg), Vit. E (67mg), Thiamine/B1 (75mg), Riboflavin/B2 (50mg), Niacin/B3 (50mg), Vit. B6 (75mg), Folate as 5-MTHF (680mcg), B12 (300mcg), Biotin (300mcg), Pantothenic acid (50mg), Iodine (150mcg), Magnesium oxide (100mg), Zinc (25mg), Selenium as L-selenocysteine (200mcg), Manganese (2mg), Chromium (200mcg), Molybdenum (100mcg), Inositol (50mg), Alpha lipic acid (25mg), Natural mixed tocopherols (20mg), Bio-Quercetin phytosome (5mg), Phosphatidylcholine complex (15mg), Marigold extract (11.12mg), Apigenin (5mg), Boron (3mg), Lycopene (1mg)
  • CoQ10 as Ubiquinol (200mg)
  • Curamed Curcumin (750mg)
  • Magnesium (300mg)
  • Jarrow PQQ (20mg)
  • Nutricost TMG (750mg)
  • Relentless Improvement Vit K2 MK-4 (15mg) & MK-7 (60mcg)
[*] I know everyone's supplement/health needs are different, but I would be glad of any recommendations on curcumin & magnesium supplements (or others). I've seen some different curcumin options here & I'm curious which might be best! And my previous magnesium brand included potassium & my levels are now a bit high.

Wins in 2020
  • Lowered ferritin levels 121ng/mL
  • Increased B12 levels to almost 500pg/mL
  • Restarted needed supplements
  • Began drinking silica water daily to reduce aluminum load
  • Helped others find hope & take action against Alzheimer's
  • Participated in counseling to lower stress

Goals for 2021
  • Continue working to lower insulin resistance
  • Increase exercise to 3-4x/week
  • Lower Triglyceride level (any recommendations in addition to diet are welcome!)
  • Continue work to lower ferritin level & raiseB12 level
  • Improve sleep patterns

What about you? What are your strategies?
Any wins/losses? New approaches/goals? Best practices?

***I'm wide-open to thoughts on change-ups I might make, too! Most of my best research and practices have come from this group.*** 8-)

Happy New Year!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What Are Your Current Prevention Strategies?

Post by grommet »

Thanks for the post! In 2021 I was able to get my lipid panel to what I believe is in a perfect range. ApoB < 80, Trigs < 75, HDL> 70, Glucose < 100, Homoceistine < 7. Achieved through exercise 5x / week and a pretty strict WFPD diet (with fish from time to time). Supplements include: B (complex), C, D, K, Fish oil (esp. DHA), magnesium, creatine. Also lost 10 lbs I didn’t think I needed to lose through time restricted eating and tracking my calories in Cronometer. About to do a one week fast…because I love to torture myself. ;-)

In 2022 I’m gonna step up my exercising-game but I’m 51 and stuff hurts a lot longer than it used to. :shock:

Let’s hope that by mitigating CVD risk we’re also mitigating AD risk. Time will tell.
Dan
ε4,ε4
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Fun post! Congratulations to both of you for your wins!

Wins:
Sold Cassava stock in time!
Drinking Fiji water for silica (lots of research to see if there was a better alternative)
Good compliance with supplements (except during Covid)
Transitioned mostly to softgels (much easier to take consistently)
Regular exercise
Fasting glucose of 80 - that's good for me in my never ending war with sweets
Year two of working part-time; definitely less stress even though I miss my old role
Tried some new recipes to eat healthy food, like soup, and eastern European dishes for certain spices. I like salad, but don't love it, and it's a challenge for me to eat salad daily. I'm better with cooked vegetables.
Meditating a few times a week. This is a big accomplishment for me.
Good social life!

2021 Misses:
Tried to significantly reduce meat/fowl consumption bc Rudy Tanzi doesn't eat meat - didn't work too well. Ate too many white carbs instead.
Lost interest in my SleepScore tracker- need to resume
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

CAngelS wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 am
  • Lower Triglyceride level (any recommendations in addition to diet are welcome!)
Thank you for your post. The New Year is a good time to check in on your plan for staying healthy, improving your health as well as an opportunity to congratulate yourself on your progress.

Here is evidenced based information for lowering your Triglycerides. My husband was successful in lowering his triglycerides. His triglycerides are now in the normal range. It took about a year. His Triglycerides were lowered by about 30%.

D3 - 2,000 IU you are already taking D- may want to increase the amount
omega 3 1000mg -Omega Via is one source 500 mg
omega 7 420 mg Swanson's Provinal Purified Omega -7 is one source

Here is an evidenced based write up on these supplements.

"High Plasma Triglycerides as a Causal Factor for Stroke: Elevated triglyceride levels in the blood have been correlated with increased risk of recurrent ischemic stroke249. The efficacy of the drug Gemfibrozil, that lowers triglycerides, was evaluated in a 5 year study of 2,531 men with coronary heart disease. The study showed that Gemfibrozil reduced the risk of initial ischemic strokes by 31%250. Therefore lowering triglyceride levels reduces the risk of stroke.

Non-drug approaches to reducing triglycerides include vitamin D3 supplementation lowering triglyceride levels in postmenopausal women241,251. In one study those with vitamin D levels greater than 32ng/ml have 23% lower serum triglycerides than those with vitamin D levels below 32ng/ml241. Also each gram of the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA taken daily has been shown to reduce triglycerides by 5 to 10%252. Taking less than a quarter gram of the omega-7 fatty acid palmitoleic acid (PA) daily reduces triglycerides by 15% and LDL by 8%253. EPA supplementation does not increase LDL levels significantly while DHA supplementation increases LDL levels by 4.5mg/dL254. Therefore EPA and PA supplementation is recommended if both your serum triglycerides and LDL are too high. Before starting EPA, PA, or EPA + DHA supplementation in order to lower your triglyceride level, read the section on DHA in Chapter 3." Excerpt from book Prevent Alzheimer's, Autism and Stroke ..... by Dennis N Crouse page 74(page may vary based on the edition you have)

241. Rejnmark, L., et al.; Simvastatin does not affect vitamin D status, but low vitamin D levels are associated with dyslipidemia: Results from a randomized, controlled trial; Internat. J. Endocrin.; 2010, Article ID 957174 (2010)
252. Harris, W.S.; n-3 Fatty acids and serum lipoproteins: human studies; A. J. Clin. Nutr.; 65(suppl.):1645S-54S (1997)
253. Bernstein, A.M., et al.; “Purified palmitoleic acid for the reduction of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and serum lipids: a double-blinded, placebo controlled study; J. Clin. Lipidol.; 8(6):612-7 (2014)
254. Wei, M.J.; Effects of eicosapentaenoic acid versus docosahexanoic acid on serum lipids: a systematic review and meta-analysis; Curr. Atheroscler. Rep.; Dec.; 13(6):474-83 (2011)
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

laurie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 am "High Plasma Triglycerides as a Causal Factor for Stroke: Elevated triglyceride levels in the blood have been correlated with increased risk of recurrent ischemic stroke249.
This hit home for us over the holidays. My father-in-law had a mini stroke last month (he’s out of surgery and recovering nicely, thank goodness). His carotid arteries were both blocked…one 75% and the other 50%. His TC and LDL-C were fine…but his Triglycerides were sky high. He’s a functioning alcoholic who drinks a *ton* of beer which we believe is the primary culprit. We didn’t measure LDL-P or ApoB when he was in the hospital but I suspect those were sky high too.

Oh - and my wife is also a double Apoe4 so he carries at least one allele. (Her father) has no signs of dementia but he’s pro-conspiracy and anti everything science-related so maybe I need to rethink that. :lol:
Last edited by grommet on Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan
ε4,ε4
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

laurie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 am
Here is evidenced based information for lowering your Triglycerides. My husband was successful in lowering his triglycerides. His triglycerides are now in the normal range. It took about a year. His Triglycerides were lowered by about 30%.

D3 - 2,000 IU you are already taking D- may want to increase the amount
omega 3 1000mg -Omega Via is one source 500 mg
omega 7 420 mg Swanson's Provinal Purified Omega -7 is one source
laurie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 am Also each gram of the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA taken daily has been shown to reduce triglycerides by 5 to 10%252. Taking less than a quarter gram of the omega-7 fatty acid palmitoleic acid (PA) daily reduces triglycerides by 15% and LDL by 8%
Laurie, this is so helpful -- both the simplified notes above & the other evidence-based research you also referenced. I was just researching DHA & EPA for this purpose, and your references were spot on. Thank you! I'd like to try this before trying a statin.

Thanks for the encouragement!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

grommet wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 pm
laurie wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 am "High Plasma Triglycerides as a Causal Factor for Stroke: Elevated triglyceride levels in the blood have been correlated with increased risk of recurrent ischemic stroke249.
This hit home for us over the holidays. My father-in-law had a mini stroke last month (he’s out of surgery and recovering nicely, thank goodness). His carotid arteries were both blocked…one 75% and the other 50%. His TC and LDL-C were fine…but his Triglycerides were sky high.
So sorry for what your father-in-law (& all of you) have been through, Grommet! That's a serious wake-up call!
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:26 pm Fun post! Congratulations to both of you for your wins!

Wins:
Sold Cassava stock in time!
Drinking Fiji water for silica (lots of research to see if there was a better alternative)
Good compliance with supplements (except during Covid)
Transitioned mostly to softgels (much easier to take consistently)
Regular exercise
Fasting glucose of 80 - that's good for me in my never ending war with sweets
Year two of working part-time; definitely less stress even though I miss my old role
Tried some new recipes to eat healthy food, like soup, and eastern European dishes for certain spices. I like salad, but don't love it, and it's a challenge for me to eat salad daily. I'm better with cooked vegetables.
Meditating a few times a week. This is a big accomplishment for me.
Good social life!

2021 Misses:
Tried to significantly reduce meat/fowl consumption bc Rudy Tanzi doesn't eat meat - didn't work too well. Ate too many white carbs instead.
Lost interest in my SleepScore tracker- need to resume
I loved hearing about your wins & misses. Thanks for chiming in! And way to go (!!) on your fasting glucose, Fiji water, supplement compliance, meditating, social life, and less stress! That's terrific! (And selling Cassava, too ;) )

I'd be interested in what kind of softgels you take. I've been torn over my two-a-day multivitamin vs. their one-a-day pill form, but I almost always prefer softgels, too!

A couple of questions:
1. Does your sleepscore tracker give you more information than a Fitbit?
2. I'm curious if you've tried making your own silica water at home? I send Fiji water to my kids and a friend w/an Alzheimer's diagnosis, but for the most part, we make our own and have found it to be a simple, easy process.

Best!
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

grommet wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:18 pm Thanks for the post! In 2021 I was able to get my lipid panel to what I believe is in a perfect range. ApoB < 80, Trigs < 75, HDL> 70, Glucose < 100, Homoceistine < 7. Achieved through exercise 5x / week and a pretty strict WFPD diet (with fish from time to time). Supplements include: B (complex), C, D, K, Fish oil (esp. DHA), magnesium, creatine. Also lost 10 lbs I didn’t think I needed to lose through time restricted eating and tracking my calories in Cronometer. About to do a one week fast…because I love to torture myself. ;-)

In 2022 I’m gonna step up my exercising-game but I’m 51 and stuff hurts a lot longer than it used to. :shock:

Let’s hope that by mitigating CVD risk we’re also mitigating AD risk. Time will tell.
Hey! I missed this post somehow. Way to go getting your lipid panel in a perfect range!! That's fantastic!
I'd like to do a 5-10 day fast sometime soon, too, but I need to get back in fasting shape. It's incredible to hear what you achieved through exercise, a whole food, plant-based diet, and supplements. I'm curious what type/brand of magnesium you take? And what's the primary reason you take creatine, also? (Any recommended dose?) I've seen other people reference it, but I'm not very familiar with it's benefits other than for weight-lifters.

Your exercise game is better than mine, but I'll take that as inspiration! I want to be around & as much myself as possible down the road:)
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

CAngelS wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:54 pm I'm curious what type/brand of magnesium you take? And what's the primary reason you take creatine, also? (Any recommended dose?) I've seen other people reference it, but I'm not very familiar with it's benefits other than for weight-lifters.
Life Extension Magnesium - one 500 mg cap/day. Dr. Greger said in a video that creatine could help people get Homoceistine in check if other interventions aren’t working. My Homoceistine was a ~10 but I was trying to get it under 7. My last reading was 6.2, so I guess it worked? Who knows. :-)
Last edited by grommet on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
ε4,ε4