CGM data question

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: CGM data question

Post by circular »

frankiesfriend wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:29 am I was taking about 5-6 drops of a formulation of 40 mg/ml THC, yielding about 4 mg THC with less than 0.4 mg CBD of the indica strain. I was already taking it when I listened to an interview with Dr. Mikhail Kogan regarding his extensive recommendations of medical marijuana in his medical practice for all kinds of conditions. I ordered his book, but have leant it to a friend so I don't have his specific recommendations in front of me. I did read either in his book or in some scientific studies of the impact of THC and CBD on sleep that CBD in small amounts is stimulatory and that it requires large amounts (which are expensive) if using CBD for sleep. However, THC is sleep inducing in small amounts. Once again, I think it is important to use the indica strain and start with a low dose.

I took it at bedtime along with a 2mg extended release melatonin formulation, which I still take. I would awaken one time each night for a trip to the bathroom and then go right back to sleep until morning. If taking a small dose, I had no sense of being high or unsteady.

In Florida, one must get a state license and see a medical marijuana doctor. It costs around $300, and requires two visits/year to the doctor to continue the prescription. With the license in hand, one can go into a medical marijuana dispensary and buy any amount of anything, no questions asked, even products that are clearly designed to induce a high. The "Budspersons" - not the doctors - guide you in selection of your product. There are gummies, tinctures, oils and smokables. In Florida, there is no legal way to sample any of these products, but I hope that in your state, you can find a way to do that!
Thanks for this additional information frankiesfriend. I wouldn't have know to ask about the Indica strain specifically. I found a local dispensary where I can get products for sleep. Here are my notes from my call with them. I started by asking what he would recommend and then asking questions as they came up. I haven't done any of my own research to corroborate anything he said:
There's another cannibanoid called CBN isolate with a lot of research on efficacy for sleep.

Wyld makes an edible with it. There is THC and CBD and CBN (In 10 piece package: 100 mg THC, 100 mg CBD, 100 mg CBN)

CBD calms nerves and quiets mind
CBN helps with the restorative sleep cycles
THC helps relax the muscles and promote blood flow and quiets the mind

Interestingly, the guy I was talking to is also sometimes hungry during the night. He said there's a small chance that these formulations could excite appetite, but you (or at least he) will sleep through it and then wake up ravenous. The hunger doesn't last through the day though. In other words, when you're sleeping more deeply the hunger doesn't wake you up.

It has sugar, minute dose, start with 1/2 a piece which is 5 mg.

$25 after taxes for 10 pieces (20 if you stay with a 1/2 dose). Odds of a resistance is very low for many months. "Tolerance" can happen with a long term regimen.

Does it affect hormones? Not that they're currently aware of. For him, it calms and levels moods, but if you take too much it can cause an anxiety attack. At the dose in the Wyld product for sleep above it won't do that.

Does the Wyld product have Indica THC? It is. Indica molecule is very sedative. It attaches to the CB1 and CB2 receptors. The receptors are like a V and the THC is like a triangle, so it's a perfect fit. However, to avoid the psychoactive effects, the CBD is added to block some of the same receptors. CBD is shaped like a circle and it sits inside the receptor and prevents other things from binding to it so it blocks the high feeling of the THC.

Is there a concentrate option? Yes. Indica 300 mg bottle or 600 mg bottle. 1/4 drop is 10-15 mg dose which is average for a tincture. Sublingually takes effect a lot faster. You'd get more THC without it being muted by the CBD. They also have 1:1 mixtures of THC and CBD. He considers this the next step if I don't want to use edibles.
I think I'm going to try these edibles and not worry about a little bit of sugar an hour before bed.

It's interesting that he doesn't seem to think the CBD is stimulatory in these amounts when combined with THC or THC and CBN. This may be better evaluated by individual experimentation.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 am I think I'm going to try these edibles and not worry about a little bit of sugar an hour before bed.
I'm actually going to start with just 1/4 of an edible. If the tinctures turn out to be cheaper then I may go that route, but I think they'll cost more taking 1/4 or 1/2 of the edible.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

Is there a concentrate option? Yes. Indica 300 mg bottle or 600 mg bottle. 1/4 drop is 10-15 mg dose which is average for a tincture. Sublingually takes effect a lot faster. You'd get more THC without it being muted by the CBD. They also have 1:1 mixtures of THC and CBD. He considers this the next step if I don't want to use edibles.
I think I'm going to try these edibles and not worry about a little bit of sugar an hour before bed.

It's interesting that he doesn't seem to think the CBD is stimulatory in these amounts when combined with THC or THC and CBN. This may be better evaluated by individual experimentation.
I tried gummies before switching to the concentrated THC in MCT oil. If taking an edible, it might require ingesting it an hour or two before bedtime. If it doesn't work as well as you hope or you have residual effects in the morning, perhaps try the tincture or other formulations. Over the last ten years that I have been trying to find better ways to sleep, I have tried various supplements, meditation, changes to the sleep environment, evening wind-down improvements, sleep schedule changes, even the medication Trazadone, and none of these worked as well as the THC + melatonin. I never stopped taking melatonin when I started the THC, so I couldn't say if the THC alone would have worked as well.
Perhaps if you are satisfied with a low dose, your appetite will not change as much as it might for someone taking the standard or recommended dose. If it changed for me...it was subtle. I did gain weight, but there was a significant uptick in life stress during this period that could have affected my appetite, food choices and metabolism that could also have explained the weight change. It is something worth monitoring, I guess. I hope that it works for you as well as it did for me. Sleep well!
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

frankiesfriend wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:18 pm Sleep well!
Stress does tend to throw a wrench in our experience and interpretation of things!

I've already realized I need to put the various cannibis sleep products on the back burner pending an upcoming partial thyroidectomy. It looks like there are a lot of CB receptors on the thyroid. If the remaining part of my thyroid doesn't pick up the slack in thyroid hormones, I'm going to need to work with levothyroxine first while getting to know my new body. Ugh.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

Perhaps the partial thyroidectomy will settle the sleep issue, as excess thyroid hormone can disrupt sleep. I hope so.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.