Notification settings update

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Notification settings update

Post by MarcR »

tl,dr: For the past month, some expected email notifications have not been provided. The issue has been corrected. As always, you can control this behavior directly by visiting your notification settings.

I subscribe to four of our forums, and I have been accustomed to receiving email notifications for new topics and new posts in those forums. When I stopped receiving email notifications of new posts in those forums, I visited my notification settings and discovered that the software update we installed on December 5 added a separate notification type for new posts in subscribed forums and narrowed the scope of the original setting to cover new topics only. I also noticed several other new notification types, and the default setting for email notification for all of the new types was off.

Because the development team behind our forum software detests email notifications, they refuse to offer reasonable defaults and/or administrator control over those default settings. In 2016 we established a policy of initializing all email notifications to on. We modified our copy of the forum source code to accomplish this, and we updated all unmodified preexisting default notification settings accordingly.

For the December update, I overlooked the 2016 local modification, so new accounts since that time have had most email notifications off. This includes important ones like private messages! And preexisting accounts have had more subtle issues like mine with new posts in subscribed forums.

Fortunately, in 2018 someone built a proper extension to allow administrators to set a number of user defaults including email notifications for nine of the 13 categories. I modified it to handle the final four, so going forward new users will once again start with all email notifications on.

I also updated the 2016 program to update unmodified preexisting default email notification settings and ran it. As in 2016, I did not update any notification settings that were chosen explicitly.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Notification settings update

Post by circular »

Thanks for your attention to this Marc!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Ditto, thanks Marc.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

MarcR wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 pm
I'll take it with the same deep thanks I have for anyone who takes a problem I don't understand and solves it !
4/4 and still an optimist!