Well 4/4 and clear history of AD. It's time

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Catshot8
New User
New User

Well 4/4 and clear history of AD. It's time

Post by Catshot8 »

Hi All,

I think it's time I engage in this forum and find others like me to support and help through this journey and maybe have a few laughs along the way :)

A little about me - I found out in 2018 (when I was 40 years old) that I am homozygous for Apoe4. So I modified my diet (think Keto), ramped up daily exercise, jumped into supplements and blood work, and got a Bredesen doctor (Anne Hathaway in San Rafael, CA). I was gung ho for a while, joined this forum and kind of just lurked around reading information.

Then Covid hit. I have two small kids (8 and 10 now) and ran full force into working full time as a litigator and home schooling and taking care of my kids full time (I am divorced and dad is not in the picture really). Needless to say keto fell to the wayside (although I hated it and in hindsight think it was a bad idea, as do my doctors given what happened to my blood work) but focusing on how to optimize brain health also fell secondary to the daily stresses of life during the pandemic with a full time job and kids and clients that continued to be very demanding.

Well, as the last four years unfolded, both of my parents (both 80) are now in assisted living as my mother now has advanced Alzheimer's and my father has Dementia. My uncle (father's brother) got early Dementia at 63 and is now almost completely gone. My aunt (father's sister) has vascular dementia. My mother's brother passed away at 72 from a fall. Those four adults are my only living older relatives, and they all have some form of AD. My parents are both 3/4, the others won't test.

So now I have the double whammy as I call it, 4/4 with a very clear family history of Alzheimer's/Dementia. Luckily I have a sister who is a doctor and has been really supportive and she is a 3/3. I'm happy for her about 90% of the time; the rest I cry.

I really looking forward to talking with you all as the preventative information continues to unfold. I have hope. At times more hope than at other times.

In support and with laughs,

Catherine
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Well 4/4 and clear history of AD. It's time

Post by SBee »

Catshot8 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 pm Hi All,

I think it's time I engage in this forum and find others like me to support and help through this journey and maybe have a few laughs along the way :)

A little about me - I found out in 2018 (when I was 40 years old) that I am homozygous for Apoe4. So I modified my diet (think Keto), ramped up daily exercise, jumped into supplements and blood work, and got a Bredesen doctor (Anne Hathaway in San Rafael, CA). I was gung ho for a while, joined this forum and kind of just lurked around reading information.

Then Covid hit. I have two small kids (8 and 10 now) and ran full force into working full time as a litigator and home schooling and taking care of my kids full time (I am divorced and dad is not in the picture really). Needless to say keto fell to the wayside (although I hated it and in hindsight think it was a bad idea, as do my doctors given what happened to my blood work) but focusing on how to optimize brain health also fell secondary to the daily stresses of life during the pandemic with a full time job and kids and clients that continued to be very demanding.

Well, as the last four years unfolded, both of my parents (both 80) are now in assisted living as my mother now has advanced Alzheimer's and my father has Dementia. My uncle (father's brother) got early Dementia at 63 and is now almost completely gone. My aunt (father's sister) has vascular dementia. My mother's brother passed away at 72 from a fall. Those four adults are my only living older relatives, and they all have some form of AD. My parents are both 3/4, the others won't test.

So now I have the double whammy as I call it, 4/4 with a very clear family history of Alzheimer's/Dementia. Luckily I have a sister who is a doctor and has been really supportive and she is a 3/3. I'm happy for her about 90% of the time; the rest I cry.

I really looking forward to talking with you all as the preventative information continues to unfold. I have hope. At times more hope than at other times.

Catherine
Welcome Catherine!
Thank you so much for courageously sharing your story with us. I'm sure it has not been easy juggling career, family and personal health during these last 2 years in particular! It's clear you've educated yourself and implemented many preventive strategies for AD, yet also reflected on what was helpful and what was not in partnership with your physician and the support of your sister!
It is encouraging to hear that you remain optimistic...and also incorporate some lightheartedness :D in your life ... a positive mindset will surely pave the way for receptivity to new strategies and ideas as you continue on your journey! Our community is full of supportive, knowledgeable members eager to share their own experiences and any new research as it becomes available.
You mentioned that you have been a member for awhile now...so you may have already done some of your own research or read some of the topics in various forums. I can share a few tools to help you navigate the site:

If you are not already familiar with this section, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

The How-To Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, if you are interested in sharing more details about your own story or just learning about other community members' experiences, you can link to Our Stories.

Thank you again for joining the conversation, Catherine! Please feel free to reach out if you need additional support or have any specific questions.

Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Catshot8 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 pm I think it's time I engage in this forum and find others like me to support and help through this journey and maybe have a few laughs along the way :)

Catherine
Hi Catherine! I just want to add my warm welcome to you. As you spend more time reading through the information here, you will find a lot that will support your having hope. And it is not the rose-colored glasses kind of hope, but rather hope based in solid science which is very reassuring. When it comes to the ApoE4 allele, genes are not destiny. I think of knowing ApoE4 status as a signal to make wise choices.
You must have gotten off to a great start with Dr Hathaway. At your age, you probably don't have to be "gung ho", just aware.... and you are. Focusing on simple things like getting plenty of exercise can help you longterm.
You are right that the information on the power of prevention continues to unfold. We have so many tools to help us live long healthy lives, strong in body and in mind.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

I like to think of our journey as a marathon and not a sprint. Considering the impact of COVID on our lives it's not surprising some of the measures you were taking took a backseat. Now is a great time to ease back into the routine. Find things you enjoy and start with those instead of trying to do all the things at once.

By virtue of your profession, you are already doing one of the recommended items... use your brain! That's great!

With spring on the way maybe step 2 can be taking the kids to a park or riding bikes or something else that's fun to chip away at the stress and to exercise.

I am trying the above approach for myself. I have a stressful job, parents on the decline, and while some aspects of the protocol are easy for me, others are not. So I am trying to do what I can with what I'm dealt. :D

Warm regards.
apoe 3/4