Surgery, Anesthesia, & Aluminum

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Surgery, Anesthesia, & Aluminum

Post by CAngelS »

circular wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:15 am Today I also got good news from the surgeon about fluid warmers during my surgery. He doesn't use them. He uses "Bair huggers" to keep the body warm. He says cardiothoracic surgeons and other specialties use the fluid warmers. So, depending on what surgical/medical requirements a certain specialty may have for fluid warmers, there may be cases where a surgeon typically uses them but could use "Bair huggers" instead (?).

He also had no problem with me having an appointment with the anesthesiologist before surgery "to discuss anesthesiology concerns."
I'm so glad, Circular. I think the inventor of "Bair Huggers" also created something called "Hot Dog," as another alternative, also. (?) Let us know how it goes!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CAngelS »

circular wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:02 pm I do have surgery coming up that requires general anesthesia.
Hi Circular…I’ve been thinking about you the past few days, wondering if you’ve been in for surgery yet & how you’re doing? I hope all is well. Happy Valentine’s Day!
"If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else?" (Matthew 5:47)
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Ketamine promotes the amyloidogenic pathway
https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retriev ... 3X22000750

Free PDF:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... dosomal_pH

Transient low levels of ketamine exposure are probably fine, but higher levels that anesthetize and are repeated seem like a bad idea. Paper seems to have implications for ketamine drug abusers (e.g. repeated usage at higher levels), but is mechanistically interesting for ApoE4 population.

Two experiments:

1. Mice exposed to 7 days of repeated ketamine exposure at varying levels (10 mg/kg through 100 mg/kg)
2. SH-SY5Y cell culture neurons saline, 100 mg/kg, and 1000 mg/kg

Mechanistically BACE1 activity is increased, endosomal acidification occurs, APP is lowered, and the initiating factors of alzheimer's occur.
gardnerrn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gardnerrn »

I am having total knee replacement surgery June 2023 and was stunned to find out that many of the best knee implants/prostheses contain titanium with aluminum and vanadium alloys. I have not been able to find out if this could be a problem in the future if aluminum ions leech into my body and brain. During this search, I also learned that dental implants have the same issue with titanium and aluminum alloys being used. Does anyone know if this is a problem?
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

gardnerrn wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:59 am I am having total knee replacement surgery June 2023 and was stunned to find out that many of the best knee implants/prostheses contain titanium with aluminum and vanadium alloys. I have not been able to find out if this could be a problem in the future if aluminum ions leech into my body and brain. During this search, I also learned that dental implants have the same issue with titanium and aluminum alloys being used. Does anyone know if this is a problem?
Welcome garderrn,
Thank you for joining our site and posting in the forum. I am sure other members will provide you with some feedback on the implants. I am not a dentist or doctor but did recently have a tooth implant and chose to use a ceramic implant. The technology has gotten much better with ceramic and many more dentists are offering them as as option. I was not able to find much information on the knee replacement options but there are so many knowledgeable folks in the forum that I am sure there is some wisdom out there on that topic.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience if you would like to explore the site in more detail. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Warmly,
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
gardnerrn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gardnerrn »

Thanks, Angie, for your reply. I believe with dental implants, the problem is in the titanium alloy post the ceramic tooth sits on. As for knee implants, most titanium knee implants/prostheses are made of alloys that usually include titanium, aluminum and vanadium and/or other metals. I haven't been able to find out anything whether these implants can be a source of aluminum being absorbed by the body. I have contacted Zimmer Biomet about their knee implant but have not had a response yet.
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

gardnerrn wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:00 am Thanks, Angie, for your reply. I believe with dental implants, the problem is in the titanium alloy post the ceramic tooth sits on. As for knee implants, most titanium knee implants/prostheses are made of alloys that usually include titanium, aluminum and vanadium and/or other metals. I haven't been able to find out anything whether these implants can be a source of aluminum being absorbed by the body. I have contacted Zimmer Biomet about their knee implant but have not had a response yet.
I would love to know what reply you get. I had quite a bit of trouble really getting any information with the tooth implant. Most of what you find in searching is information that states a very small number of people have a "allergic reaction" to the implants (<.06%) But nothing relating to neurotoxicity. Please share if they provide you any further info and I am hopeful that we may get more input from other forum members as well. Thank you!
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

gardnerrn wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:59 am I am having total knee replacement surgery June 2023 and was stunned to find out that many of the best knee implants/prostheses contain titanium with aluminum and vanadium alloys. I have not been able to find out if this could be a problem in the future if aluminum ions leech into my body and brain. During this search, I also learned that dental implants have the same issue with titanium and aluminum alloys being used. Does anyone know if this is a problem?
Welcome, from a fellow android--in my case with titanium screws in my right foot for a bunion/metarsal repair in 2019. As someone with two copies of ApoE 4, and wanting to have lots of ability to go for miles-long walks, I'm happy to share this excerpt about titanium alloys:
Titanium alloys are bio-compatible in nature. They commonly contain amounts of vanadium and aluminum in addition to titanium. The most used titanium alloy in knee implants is Ti6Al4V. Titanium and titanium alloys have great corrosion resistance, making them inert biomaterial (which means they will not change after being implanted in the body).

Titanium and its alloys have a lower density compared to other metals used in knee implants. Additionally, the elastic nature of titanium and titanium alloys is lower than that of the other metals used in knee implants. Because of this, the titanium implant acts more like the natural joint, and as a result, the risk of some complications like bone resorption and atrophy are reduced.
Knee Replacement Implant Materials

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info, so you might want to talk to your orthopedic surgeon. Here's some info about that site, which I found online, and which might be another place you can post your question.
BoneSmart®, founded in 2001, is the first online joint replacement patient engagement platform bringing awareness, education and emotional support to patients throughout their entire joint replacement journey. We manage the anxiety, fear, and confusion patients experience both pre- and post-op, while providing trusted information to create an informed patient who is better able to partner with their healthcare team for a successful outcome.

A worldwide resource dedicated to raising awareness about the latest hip replacement, knee replacement, and shoulder surgery options, BoneSmart fosters a supportive patient community through the world’s largest online joint replacement forum where members can share experiences, knowledge, and stories and talk to BoneSmart’s forum moderators about their specific needs.

BoneSmart, recognized as an award winning website for public awareness and patient advocacy, is part of the Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM), is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public benefit organization, supported by donations from individuals with limited underwriting from corporate partners.
https://bonesmart.org/about/

Hope you find some relief in answers and in your knee!

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

CAngelS wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:40 pm
circular wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:02 pm I do have surgery coming up that requires general anesthesia.
Hi Circular…I’ve been thinking about you the past few days, wondering if you’ve been in for surgery yet & how you’re doing? I hope all is well. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Hi CAngelS! I missed your message last year and only saw it now that this thread has been resurrected. I had my surgery last spring, and although some gnomes and elves turned it into an unusual odyssey at times, the long term outcome has been good. Thanks for asking.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Jay Ess
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jay Ess »

I found this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6780296/

This doesn't prove that implants are completely safe, but it suggests that they are at least better than the alternative of not getting treatment if you need it.