Best source of cheap phospholipid DHA?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Best source of cheap phospholipid DHA?

Post by grommet »

Hi y’all - hope you’ve been enjoying your weekend. I’m looking for a cheap option for phospholipid DHA, preferably in whole food form. As you probably know, Dr. Rhonda Patrick prefers sockeye salmon roe, but at $90/lb I’m not sure I’m willing to go there.

What are the next best options? Other varieties of fish roe? Canned sardines? Other fish? Which brands/varieties?

Thanks - Dan
Dan
ε4,ε4
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best source of cheap phospholipid DHA?

Post by SBee »

grommet wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:35 am Hi y’all - hope you’ve been enjoying your weekend. I’m looking for a cheap option for phospholipid DHA, preferably in whole food form. As you probably know, Dr. Rhonda Patrick prefers sockeye salmon roe, but at $90/lb I’m not sure I’m willing to go there.

What are the next best options? Other varieties of fish roe? Canned sardines? Other fish? Which brands/varieties?

Thanks - Dan

Hi Dan,
Hope you're enjoying your weekend as well!
I did a quick search and found a thread on cost comparisons of phospholipid bound Omega 3 sources that might be helpful.
Perhaps other members have some additional ideas to share.
Thanks for your inquiry :)
Take care!
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

Thanks - should have known that this was discussed earlier. :-) Ended up getting 1.1 lbs of Masago at a local Asian market.
Dan
ε4,ε4
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

grommet wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:57 pm Thanks - should have known that this was discussed earlier. :-) Ended up getting 1.1 lbs of Masago at a local Asian market.
I am not familiar with Masago...will have to try it!
SBee
ApoE2/4
ABJ
New User
New User

Post by ABJ »

I am a huge fan of Matiz canned mackerel. I actually have a can about 4-5 times per week. Testing of my OmegaQuant Omega-3 Index levels came back 14.27% 👍
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ro.oconnor »

ABJ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:24 pm I am a huge fan of Matiz canned mackerel. I actually have a can about 4-5 times per week. Testing of my OmegaQuant Omega-3 Index levels came back 14.27% 👍
Hello ABJ! As a support team intern, I would like to welcome you to the forum, and thank you for your first post! It sounds like you have knowledge and experience around the topic of Omega 3s, and we appreciate your wisdom and contribution! I see that you have been a member for a while now, so you are probably already familiar with the basics of how to use the website. However, if you would like a refresher you can check out the Primer and the How-to Guide. Otherwise, if you are interested, I invite you to visit the Our Stories page and introduce yourself!

Thanks again for your contribution, and please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor

ApoE 3/4
Davidmoshe8833
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Davidmoshe8833 »

I've been taking Nordic Naturals omega-3 with phospholipids. haven't had blood work to see if it's doing the job, but will look into it at some point.

I am a licensed health care provider, so I registered with Emerson Ecologics and get a discounted price on my supplements. A patient of mine actually registered with them to get his multivitamins- he just listed himself as a student ( he is not), and is getting the discounted price as well.
Joni_S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Joni_S »

Hi All, newbie here.
In the UK, Cod roe looks cheapest e.g. https://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/cod-ro ... ber=215205
If fish has around 1% PL and I eat 200g fish/meal, I consume 2g of PL. Therefore, I'm assuming that I'll only need to eat around of 7g/roe/day (assuming the lower end of 30% PL) to get the same intake of PL?
Being a larger fish, cod's mercury content is higher but given the small amount of roe required, my uninformed view is that the trade off is fine, as the cost is so much lower than salmon.
As I have 1 APOE4 copy, I am assuming that I have a deficiency in DHA and therefore I will consume more roe initially. It would be good to know what is considered a good 'dosage' to start on, then maintain, from someone with knowledge, like Rhonda.
Attabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Attabeth »

Joni_S wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 am Hi All, newbie here.
In the UK, Cod roe looks cheapest e.g. https://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/cod-ro ... ber=215205
If fish has around 1% PL and I eat 200g fish/meal, I consume 2g of PL. Therefore, I'm assuming that I'll only need to eat around of 7g/roe/day (assuming the lower end of 30% PL) to get the same intake of PL?
Being a larger fish, cod's mercury content is higher but given the small amount of roe required, my uninformed view is that the trade off is fine, as the cost is so much lower than salmon.
As I have 1 APOE4 copy, I am assuming that I have a deficiency in DHA and therefore I will consume more roe initially. It would be good to know what is considered a good 'dosage' to start on, then maintain, from someone with knowledge, like Rhonda.
Welcome Joni_S! I'm so glad you are here!

Thank you for sharing your insight and experience with us. It sounds like you love to learn and care about your health. I hope this forum will provide you with support and community on your health journey. I'm sure other members with knowledge on this subject will chime in, but I wanted to welcome you and direct you to some links that might be helpful as you explore the site.

The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips and tricks to navigate the site include the How-to Guide. This guide is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

If you would like to tell us more about yourself or interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Warmly,
Beth
Joni_S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Joni_S »

Thanks Beth - very helpful information!
I bought some cod roe at a local fishmonger for £10/kg! I fried 250g up with an onion, clove of garlic and once cooled, whizzed it up with a piece of smoked mackerel, a little butter, the juice of a lemon, a little salt/pepper/chili and some cream cheese - it's delicious as a pate but would also work well as a sauce for pasta or similar!
I have potted some up, covered it with a layer of melted butter (now set) and will freeze until I want to eat.