Finding a practitioner

jerseyguy
New User
New User

Finding a practitioner

Post by jerseyguy »

Does anyone have a practitioner in New Jersey?
ro.oconnor
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Finding a practitioner

Post by ro.oconnor »

jerseyguy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:31 am Does anyone have a practitioner in New Jersey?
Welcome jerseyguy and thank you for posting your question! Have you checked out our wiki? It has a list of Dr. Bredesen's ReCODE certified practitioners. You might find one there who is located in New Jersey. Many of the practitioners also offer their services virtually, so you might consider expanding your search area.

If you would like to explore the website further, there are several other tools and resources that might add to your experience while you are here.

The Primer is a good place to start if you would like to find out more about ApoE4. Authored by an M.D., it includes researched-based prevention strategies and provides information behind the biochemistry of ApoE4 gene.

Additionally, you may want to check out the How-to Guide. It includes tricks and tips for getting the most out of the discussion forums.

And finally, you may be interested in visiting Our Stories. There you can browse the stories of other members and if you are comfortable, share your own.

I hope you will continue to find the site helpful on your health journey. If there is anything else you want to know and can't find it on the site, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Warmly,
Rosanne
ro.oconnor
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach

ApoE 3/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

jerseyguy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:31 am Does anyone have a practitioner in New Jersey?
Hi jerseyguy,

In addition to the helpful Wiki that Ro.oconnor shared for practitioners who have asked to be included on our forum, or have been recommended by our members, here is a list of practitioners in NJ who completed an earlier training on Dr. Bredesen's protocol:

Institute for Functional Medicine: Reversing Cognitive Decline-trained Practitioners in NJ

You can click on embedded links for people near you and see if the descriptions seem like someone who could be helpful.

It's also important to know that many functional medicine practitioners spend more time in each appointment than your primary care doctor could, so they generally do not accept insurance. Often people combine some consultation with an FM doctor and continued coverage of overall health with their primary care provider.

Good luck!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Hello all,
Has anyone seen or is anyone aware or have reviews of Jeralyn Brossfield MD in Rancho Mirage, Ca. Her website states that she is trained in the Bredesen Recode program. I don't see her on the official Bredesen list post above.
I would prefer to see Dr. Gundry but I am having trouble communicating with his office. I don't want to be impatient but seems as though he is very sought after due to his knowledge and competence and I don't know how long I might have to wait to see him. Or I might wait a long time just to be turned away. Frustrated! Any advice is appreciated!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Gail wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:19 pm Hello all,
Has anyone seen or is anyone aware or have reviews of Jeralyn Brossfield MD in Rancho Mirage, Ca. Her website states that she is trained in the Bredesen Recode program. I don't see her on the official Bredesen list post above.
I would prefer to see Dr. Gundry but I am having trouble communicating with his office. I don't want to be impatient but seems as though he is very sought after due to his knowledge and competence and I don't know how long I might have to wait to see him. Or I might wait a long time just to be turned away. Frustrated! Any advice is appreciated!
Hi Gail,

The list that our intern Rosanne provided above is not a complete list of ReCode-trained providers. Because Dr. Bredesen has trained people in multiple settings in the last decade or so, our wiki of ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners includes people who were trained through the Institute of Functional Medicine in his Reversing Cognitive Decline Advanced Course or in ReCODE who have asked to be included, or whose patients have recommended them in this forum.

ReCODE is a proprietary program that Dr. Bredesen offers to practitioners through Apollo Health, so I assume Dr. Brossfield has completed that rigorous program and is able to work with patients using those skills. You would have to check with her office to see whether you'd need to enroll through Apollo Health to focus on the ReCODE program.

Best of luck!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Steephill4now
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steephill4now »

Have tried 3 different Alzheimers providers, and not one of them has done a thing for me. Did sell me hundreds of dollars worth of supplements. I have a history of little to no sleep since I was about 20 years old, now 67 yrs old. I worked night shifts as a nurse, 12-16 hrs on night shift in the NICU. So high stress! Had a child that would call from jail, and demand I get out of bed to bail him out. Now raised his only daughter while continuing to work. She is now 22, but now I am totally unable to sleep, even using cannabis supplements and hormone replacement. Had a hysterectomy at 42, told I had Endometrioses. After moving from my town, the new DR received my records and told me the report did not bear that out. So on hormones, but still not the same. So I am desperately looking for someone with proven success- as things are steadily declining as far as sleep, and my memory.
My mother and grandmother both died of Alzheimers, and were in real bad shape. Confined to a bed for years, unable to speak, or do anything. Can anyone suggest a DR trained in this protocol who would be worth the money?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

If those providers sold you a bunch of supplements without taking biomarkers, I'm glad you fired them. If it weren't for the blood tests showing progress, I wouldn't have been able to stick with the program.

We have a number of resources in our wiki, including ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners maybe that can be assistance to you.

Best to you in your health journey.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Alexia C »

Steephill4now wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:48 pm Have tried 3 different Alzheimers providers, and not one of them has done a thing for me. Did sell me hundreds of dollars worth of supplements. I have a history of little to no sleep since I was about 20 years old, now 67 yrs old. I worked night shifts as a nurse, 12-16 hrs on night shift in the NICU. So high stress! Had a child that would call from jail, and demand I get out of bed to bail him out. Now raised his only daughter while continuing to work. She is now 22, but now I am totally unable to sleep, even using cannabis supplements and hormone replacement. Had a hysterectomy at 42, told I had Endometrioses. After moving from my town, the new DR received my records and told me the report did not bear that out. So on hormones, but still not the same. So I am desperately looking for someone with proven success- as things are steadily declining as far as sleep, and my memory.
My mother and grandmother both died of Alzheimers, and were in real bad shape. Confined to a bed for years, unable to speak, or do anything. Can anyone suggest a DR trained in this protocol who would be worth the money?
Welcome Steephill4now to our forum!

I am so glad you found us, and I hope you find the support you are looking for in this caring community.

Thank you for sharing with us your struggles and accomplishments. Raising your granddaughter is an incredible responsibility you took on and I am sure you must feel a lot of pride with your achievements. Her being 22 must mean you have already gone through the many challenging stages of childhood and adolescence. I have no doubt with your knowledge, experience, love and dedication to your family your granddaughter must be a beautiful person.
I had a similar situation of having a loved one call me from jail at midnight to bail them out and then demand to pick them up at 3 am. (BTW- it has very hard to say no, but I did not risk driving out at that time to an unknown address) I still remember the fear and anxiety I felt as I faced and solved the situation. Your courage and resiliency come across clearly with your shared experiences.

I saw TheresaB, one of our moderators, has already shared a link with providers that you might find useful. Indeed, it can be a challenge to find the right provider and most of all, I understand your disappointment of having to spend hundreds of dollars’ worth of supplements with no perceived improvement. Have you had the opportunity to talk with your primary care doctor or a supportive nurse about your concerns? Maybe they can guide you so you can have some tests done that Medicare would pay for. Some of the blood tests for B12, Vitamin D, cholesterol, iron, thyroid should all be things that could be treated cheaply, if needed. You also could be eligible for a Medicare-paid sleep study to rule out sleep apnea. I know first-hand from family members how having sleep apnea diagnosed and treated has been a life changer.

As a welcome intern, I would like to point out some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further. The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies. It has been written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories. You might find other members with experiences like yours that can help to steer you in the right direction.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum and hope you find the support you need. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please feel free to reach out with any other concerns or inquiries. There are always moderators or members of the forum that can shed some light or guidance.

Warmly,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Steephill4now
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steephill4now »

Alexia,
Thank you so much for the reply and amazing advice. The pep talk was also great as sometimes my hope dwindles. It is late here now where I live, but will get on this tomorrow. Can't wait to try some more! I really do appreciate it.
Cj
Steephill4now
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steephill4now »

Steephill4now