Introduction... 32 and feeling optimistic...do we like Bredesen?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KeepinItOptimistic
New User
New User

Introduction... 32 and feeling optimistic...do we like Bredesen?

Post by KeepinItOptimistic »

First a funny anecdote, looked at both my mom's and mine's DNA today. Apparently she does not have AD genes but does have genes to live to 100, so looks like she's taking care of me :lol:

I have the Gs141 gene for one APOE-ε3 allele and one APOE-ε4 allele.

I've already gotten Dr. Bredesen's The End of Alzheimers and looking at preventative things...
  • I'm a recovered alcoholic (unfortunately prob did a lot of damage in my teen years and 20's), but that also means I don't drink, at all!)
  • I already try to stay pretty low sugar (does this mean no sugar?)
  • I'm a vegan (althogh that doesn't mean I eat a lot of veggies, but I can start).
  • I have a recent kombucha addiction so my gut should be happy (don't worry, not too much...)
  • I love to sleep and at my age I just refuse to get less than 8 hours.
  • I started college late so my brain's getting plenty of work and I'll probably always be that way.
I think next up is to
  • Read Bredesen's book
  • Start fasting (I already don't eat/drink anything but coffee with nut milk or cream until 4pm-ish usually)
  • Need to exercise, something I've wanted to do anyway.
  • Take my vitamins. I'm already into supplements so can add some of those on. I actually make my own herbal capsules and have some turmeric laying around and have access to herbs pretty easily.
Not sure if this is relevant. I have subclinical hyperthyroidism (don't take medication) and a benign goiter in my throat.

Overall, I had enough anxiety before this so I'm not going to be anxious about this for the next 30 years, but I'm happy to know that I need to be more preventative. My mom's likely to freak out much more than me. :roll: I am really happy to know she doesn't have the gene (she caught me being selfish, ok ok I'm relieved I probably won't have to take care of her!). I'm estranged from my dad but this means I would have gotten it from him, right?

Also...should I tell my boyfriend about this? I mean we're young and only together less than a year, but we are in our 30s and talk about marriage and stuff. I think he'll still like me ;) , but it would suck if I end up making him anxious. He has anxiety more on my mom's level than mine.

Always appreciate having community and not feeling alone. Nice to meet y'all and thanks in advance for any advice!
Theresa.J
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introduction... 32 and feeling optimistic...do we like Bredesen?

Post by Theresa.J »

KeepinItOptimistic wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:07 am First a funny anecdote, looked at both my mom's and mine's DNA today. Apparently she does not have AD genes but does have genes to live to 100, so looks like she's taking care of me :lol:

I have the Gs141 gene for one APOE-ε3 allele and one APOE-ε4 allele.

I've already gotten Dr. Bredesen's The End of Alzheimers and looking at preventative things...
  • I'm a recovered alcoholic (unfortunately prob did a lot of damage in my teen years and 20's), but that also means I don't drink, at all!)
  • I already try to stay pretty low sugar (does this mean no sugar?)
  • I'm a vegan (althogh that doesn't mean I eat a lot of veggies, but I can start).
  • I have a recent kombucha addiction so my gut should be happy (don't worry, not too much...)
  • I love to sleep and at my age I just refuse to get less than 8 hours.
  • I started college late so my brain's getting plenty of work and I'll probably always be that way.
I think next up is to
  • Read Bredesen's book
  • Start fasting (I already don't eat/drink anything but coffee with nut milk or cream until 4pm-ish usually)
  • Need to exercise, something I've wanted to do anyway.
  • Take my vitamins. I'm already into supplements so can add some of those on. I actually make my own herbal capsules and have some turmeric laying around and have access to herbs pretty easily.
Not sure if this is relevant. I have subclinical hyperthyroidism (don't take medication) and a benign goiter in my throat.

Overall, I had enough anxiety before this so I'm not going to be anxious about this for the next 30 years, but I'm happy to know that I need to be more preventative. My mom's likely to freak out much more than me. :roll: I am really happy to know she doesn't have the gene (she caught me being selfish, ok ok I'm relieved I probably won't have to take care of her!). I'm estranged from my dad but this means I would have gotten it from him, right?

Also...should I tell my boyfriend about this? I mean we're young and only together less than a year, but we are in our 30s and talk about marriage and stuff. I think he'll still like me ;) , but it would suck if I end up making him anxious. He has anxiety more on my mom's level than mine.

Always appreciate having community and not feeling alone. Nice to meet y'all and thanks in advance for any advice!
Welcome KeepinItOptimistic!

As a support team intern, I would like to welcome you the ApoE4.info website. I'm so glad that you found us!

Finding out that you carry the APOE-ε4 allele can be overwhelming and distressing, but it sounds like you have a good sense of humor and a desire to be proactive in doing the things you can to support your health. It is important to remember that our genetics are not our destiny. Since you are young, you have time to learn as much as you can about the lifestyle factors that can influence the expression of the ApoE4 gene and you can continue to make positive changes in the areas of diet, exercise, sleep and stress management. You already have a good base to start from!

As you read Dr. Bredesen's book and take in more information through this website and other resources, you will likely become comfortable and confident about which steps are right for you moving forward. Starting small is definitely ok and coincidentally will support you in making changes that stick! Your ambition to learn all that you can about prevention is significant.

I'm not sure how much you have explored the Apoe4.Info site, but let me share a few tools that may be useful...

The How to Guide includes tips and tricks for getting the most out of the discussion forums.

The Primer, written by a physician in our community, provides research-based prevention strategies.

You obviously already found Our Stories. It can be helpful to read through stories of other members as you move forward on this journey.

With regard to telling your mother and your boyfriend about your ApoE4 status, it might be helpful to consider separately if and when to tell each of them. You may want to think about how you will respond if they either are worried for you or dismiss your concerns and reassure you. Either reaction can mean they care deeply. You can remind them that you're still decades away from having to worry about anyone having to take care of you! Current population studies suggest that people now in their 60's with one copy of ApoE4 have only about a 20-25% chance of developing either mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer's disease by the age of 85. It may make sense to hold off for a while in telling them to allow yourself time to learn more and take more steps in the area of prevention, especially if their anxiety may negatively impact you. I trust you will know the right timing as you consider all of these factors. Perhaps other members will share their experiences and thoughts with you about navigating conversations with family and friends.

I hope you will continue to find the site helpful on your health journey. We are happy that you are here in a community that cares! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any other assistance navigating the site.

Warmly,
Theresa
Theresa.J, MPH
ApoE4.info Support Team Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Introduction... 32 and feeling optimistic...do we like Bredesen?

Post by Tincup »

KeepinItOptimistic wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:07 am I'm estranged from my dad but this means I would have gotten it from him, right?

Welcome!

I have a 3/4 daughter your age. I told her when I figured out my 3/4 status in 2014 (I'm now 66). She got tested and found out she's 3/4. Her husband got tested because of us and he's either 1/3 or 2/4 as you can't tell the difference from 23andMe. Now 1's are really rare, so likely 2/4. They've been married nearly 11 years and my daughter is now pregnant with their first child. My second wife is 4/4, and she decided to test because of me. We got married after we knew our status. She has three older sibs who are in a bad way, 2 demented and 1 with heart & kidney failure and a laundry list of health conditions. She's 62. Her sibs live vastly different lifestyles than we do.

We are both very proactive with our health and are optimistic we can live a long time cognitively well.

At your age, you don't need to be perfect, just don't be stupid, if you get my meaning. A little bit now will go a long way when you get to my age. My daughter had the option of joining a group of 8 women and their partners with delivery dates about the first time. She's 16 weeks along and they had their first meeting a week ago. She's been pretty careful with her diet/lifestyle for a while. When they walked out of the meeting, her husband remarked, "you've avoided all of the things the other women were complaining about." One wonders if it is because of her lifestyle.

If you read our 2021 annual report you will note there is a lot to be optimistic about.
Tincup
E3,E4