Gauging Interest in a Trial with Valter Longo, PhD

deanad
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gauging Interest in a Trial with Valter Longo, PhD

Post by deanad »

Hi, I’m a 4/4 and just ordered Prolon for the first time before I saw this post. I plan to do it mid April. I would be very interested in doing this. Please keep me in the loop. Thanks!

Deana
ApoE 4/4
deanad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deanad »

Hello,

I should’ve mentioned in my post that I found out I was a 4/4 about four years ago… I also have a very high LPa (~150) and Hashimotos. I have been working on my nutrition but haven’t found one that quite works for me yet, I am mostly non processed foods and fasting 14-16hours. I’ve lately started adding more carbs back in in the form of fruits and sweet potatoes. When I’ve done a clean version of mild keto before, I did have good results cognitively, physically and labs. Since I haven’t found a nutritional plan that I’m committed to, the study fits nicely into my own current experiments on myself.
Thanks!
ApoE 4/4
Naposghost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Naposghost »

Hi Julie G. This is Bilbomac from over in the Recode program. As you may recall, I brought up a desire for a partnership between the Recode program with the Nutrition for Longevity meals program based on Dr. Longos thinking but was worried about carbs. I would be interested in the trial but am curious whether he would modify the current foods in any way to better fit with Recode. Also, I have done the FMD diet several times before but the last time it triggered a severe migraine ER visit (I am prone to these). It may be that I wasn't keto adapted like I am now so I'd be willing to give it ago again. That said, I do worry that the grains would kick me out of ketosis. I am 4/4.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Naposghost wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:41 am I do worry that the grains would kick me out of ketosis. I am 4/4.
You might be interested in Gundry's DIY version I referenced here. You create it off Gundry's food lists, likely much more compatible with what you are used to, also would not kick you out of ketosis.
Tincup
E3,E4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I'm a diabetic 4/4 and cannot tolerate more than about 30 g carbs a day, so I'm out. I'm on day 2 of a longer fast. I haven't done one for awhile. I'm taking heavy cream with my coffee, so it isn't 100% fast, but no carbs and little protein. I do not find fasts difficult, but my 3/3 wife messed up her gut when she tried it. IMHO, longer fasts are better to get autophagy going - while muscle mass goes down during long fasts, the actual number of muscle cells remain fairly constant...they just got slimmer. Autophagy. Because I'm 4/4, I'm able to utilize ketones better, and just live off my fat stores. I'm hoping to lose about 10% of my weight (230 lbs) and then gain about half back during re-feeding. It would be interesting to compare long and short fasting in 4/4s...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Rawss
New User
New User

Post by Rawss »

I am 4/4 and I am interested.
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Hey Tincup,

We could absolutely whip up our own study arm, or even whole study!

IGF-1 is a sensible marker. I was wondering whether he was thinking of doing cognitive testing, or even imaging studies (which, even in just one year, could show a difference between groups).

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Julie G. This is Bilbomac from over in the Recode program. As you may recall, I brought up a desire for a partnership between the Recode program with the Nutrition for Longevity meals program based on Dr. Longos thinking but was worried about carbs. I would be interested in the trial but am curious whether he would modify the current foods in any way to better fit with Recode. Also, I have done the FMD diet several times before but the last time it triggered a severe migraine ER visit (I am prone to these). It may be that I wasn't keto adapted like I am now so I'd be willing to give it ago again. That said, I do worry that the grains would kick me out of ketosis. I am 4/4.
I would say good to put a face with a name but instead it's good to connect a pseudonym with a pseudonym. :D Nice to see you here, my friend. I am working with our friends at L-Nutra/Nutrition for Longevity to see if they would be interesting in offering a lower carb, no grain version for the brain health community, a al KetoFLEX 12/3. There is so much overlap with our plans and I appreciate the quality of the food they're offering.
I wonder whether one could add a separate arm: FMD but with a low-carb diet in the intervening periods.
Believe me, I tried to steer the conversation in that direction, but Dr. Longo was very persistent in sticking to his plan. His approach is based is on epidemiological evidence derived from Blue Zones. He sees no reason why this same approach wouldn't work for us. If this were to hold up, wouldn't we see E4 carriers represented among the centenarians in the Blue Zones? As you know... we don't. I like the idea of designing our own study.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:06 pm His approach is based is on epidemiological evidence derived from Blue Zones. He sees no reason why this same approach wouldn't work for us. If this were to hold up, wouldn't we see E4 carriers represented among the centenarians in the Blue Zones? As you know, we don't. I like the idea of designing our own study.
I was thinking the lack of e4s in Blue Zones was because those subpopulations didn't happen to have a high frequency of e4s, rather than that what e4s they may include didn't live as long with the Blue Zone lifestyle. Maybe I mistook that.

Is it believed that all potential Blue Zones of centenarians have been studied? I've always assumed so, but maybe it was just expedient to limit them in the research? For example, are there any potential Blue Zones in Africa with higher frequencies of e4 that haven't been studied in the same way as the other Blue Zones?

I think Dr. Longo is doing a great thing to want to see whether the Blue Zone/Prolon fast approach works in e4/4 if that hasn't been examined; at the same time, if I were e4/4 (and even as e3/4) I would be reticent to eat so much carbohydrate. Maybe younger e4/4s will generally be more game since it's only for one year. Most likely they could easily recover if they don't fare well. It could provide them with really valuable information one way or the other when coming up with a long term, aesthetically pleasing plan to prevent or delay AD.

I'm fascinated that Dr. Longo is convinced his program should work as well in e4. He must have a mechanistic perspective on this that suggests that glucose hypometabolism is either corrected or compensated for by his approach. To Tincup's good suggestion that I read his book, unfortunately I'm a slow reader and don't have time to fit books in. If he comes out with an audiobook I can listen while getting other things done.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:22 pm To Tincup's good suggestion that I read his book, unfortunately I'm a slow reader and don't have time to fit books in. If he comes out with an audiobook I can listen while getting other things done.
The-Longevity-Diet-Audiobook,Audible
Tincup
E3,E4