New Introduction -Confused How To Proceed

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

New Introduction -Confused How To Proceed

Post by Gail »

Hello All,

My name is Gail. I am a 69 year old apoe 3/4 carrier. I have subjective cognitive impairment. My executive function is not what it once was and my memory is faulty. I discovered in 2017 I had the aloe 3/4 gene. I read Bredesen's first book then but my feeling about the book was that there was no clear program I could discern in it. So I took a trip to a neurologist in 2019 and 1 missed one on the MOCA test. He did an MRI and he said that he couldn't see a difference between my brain and the brain of normal high functioning individual. I got a prescription for Aricept which I researched and consequently never used.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I accidentally found online Bredesen's new book with a clear protocol, then the facebook page, and now this wonder apoe4.info website.
I have always been heavy on the exercise my whole life (life long backpacker - climbed mountains in the Sierra - 1800 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, numerous other long distance trails in England, Scotland, and other locales). So I am set for daily exercise and resistance training. I have quickly adapted to Flex 18/8 diet. I'm in ketosis of about 2.1 before I eat for the first time of the day. So I idon'thave too much insulin resistance. My HOVR-IR is 1.1, fasting insulin is 4.8 and A1C is 4.7 But I do have quite a bit of trouble with cholesterol and could use some more knowledge and better testing. Without a statin my cholesterol was 289. With diet and 40 mg statin I have brought total down to 178 HDL 65 trigylcerides to 78 LDL is 94. I don't know any thing about particle size or other lipid terms that are used on this forum.
So my conundrum is how to proceed forward. Especially with testing and whether I should use a functional Dr. I live in Coachella Valley area or Palm Springs area of California. I have tried to reach out to Dr. Gundry and can't seem to get a call back from his office (his recording says he will take on new patients seeing his Physician Assistant - but I don't get call back). I've tried a Bredesen train factional physician in the area and the office doesn't call back either. Neither take medicare and functional doctor's website says that a cognoscopy will cost $1500 to $3000 not including testing. She doesn't take medicare.
So my question is should my best rout be to self test and then work on any scores that are not optimal. It might be cheaper than seeing a doctor. Why does the Apollo website list the tests for recode and they don't include Omega Index or the NMR lipid profile? Any opinions on which route to take?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: New Introduction -Confused How To Proceed

Post by Tincup »

Gail wrote: So my question is should my best rout be to self test and then work on any scores that are not optimal. It might be cheaper than seeing a doctor.
One thought is to get a coronary artery calcium (CAC) scan. A brief search turned up a place in Fullerton for $150. You may be able to find someone closer. Here is a long thread on the topic.

Short answer, if you have a CAC of zero, then don't worry much about the heart. The criticism of CAC is that it "sees" hard plaque and soft plaque are the ones that cause issues. However, increases in hard plaque are associated with soft plaque. At your age, if you were zero, then it likely isn't an issue. If you do have a material CAC score ,then the issue is how much it increases over time. If increases in plaque VOLUME (not Agatston score) is <=15%/year, then your risk is nearly the same as someone with a zero score (which has a very low, but not zero risk). See Figures 2 & 3 in Raggi for the data.

As for Gundry, I know the protocol is you have to see the PA first and her mother just passed, so they may be overwhelmed and not returning calls (my wife & I see him or his PA remotely). We've posted transcripts and redacted labs for 11 consults linked here.
Tincup
E3,E4
Attabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Attabeth »

Gail wrote: Hello All,

My name is Gail. I am a 69 year old apoe 3/4 carrier. I have subjective cognitive impairment. My executive function is not what it once was and my memory is faulty. I discovered in 2017 I had the aloe 3/4 gene. I read Bredesen's first book then but my feeling about the book was that there was no clear program I could discern in it. So I took a trip to a neurologist in 2019 and 1 missed one on the MOCA test. He did an MRI and he said that he couldn't see a difference between my brain and the brain of normal high functioning individual. I got a prescription for Aricept which I researched and consequently never used.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I accidentally found online Bredesen's new book with a clear protocol, then the facebook page, and now this wonder apoe4.info website.
I have always been heavy on the exercise my whole life (life long backpacker - climbed mountains in the Sierra - 1800 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, numerous other long distance trails in England, Scotland, and other locales). So I am set for daily exercise and resistance training. I have quickly adapted to Flex 18/8 diet. I'm in ketosis of about 2.1 before I eat for the first time of the day. So I idon'thave too much insulin resistance. My HOVR-IR is 1.1, fasting insulin is 4.8 and A1C is 4.7 But I do have quite a bit of trouble with cholesterol and could use some more knowledge and better testing. Without a statin my cholesterol was 289. With diet and 40 mg statin I have brought total down to 178 HDL 65 trigylcerides to 78 LDL is 94. I don't know any thing about particle size or other lipid terms that are used on this forum.
So my conundrum is how to proceed forward. Especially with testing and whether I should use a functional Dr. I live in Coachella Valley area or Palm Springs area of California. I have tried to reach out to Dr. Gundry and can't seem to get a call back from his office (his recording says he will take on new patients seeing his Physician Assistant - but I don't get call back). I've tried a Bredesen train factional physician in the area and the office doesn't call back either. Neither take medicare and functional doctor's website says that a cognoscopy will cost $1500 to $3000 not including testing. She doesn't take medicare.
So my question is should my best rout be to self test and then work on any scores that are not optimal. It might be cheaper than seeing a doctor. Why does the Apollo website list the tests for recode and they don't include Omega Index or the NMR lipid profile? Any opinions on which route to take?
Welcome Gail,

I am so glad you found this site and are reaching out for support.

First of all, your exercise history is quite impressive. I would love to hear about some of your backpacking trips as my daughter is interested in overnight backpacking and taking some of those long hikes. You also seem to be well educated on your health goals and are taking the right steps to improve your health. A 29 out of 30 is considered within normal range on the MOCA, but you might be eligible for a full memory evaluation at a regional memory center at no cost which would involve more than just a MOCA and might help guide you on your next step. I am sure some of our support staff will have more advice for you on the next steps you might take.

Since you are new here, I'd like to point you to some links that might be helpful as you explore further.
The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips and tricks to navigate the site include the How-to Guide. This guide is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

If you are interested in ordering some testing yourself, check out Direct to Consumer Testing.

If you would like to tell us more about yourself or interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you found us and I hope that you will find this to be a very supportive and informative community. Your love of learning and determination will serve you well on your health journey. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Be well,
Beth
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Bredesen has partnered with Apollo Health to disseminate his approach. You could consider joining the PreCODE Program (for prevention). This requires a subscription that you can read about here, that includes cognitive testing, education, access to Q&A with Dr. Bredesen, forums, etc. As a member, you'd have access to a $259 Cognoscopy that would result in a 55-60 page report based on your labs with step-by-step instructions.
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Tincup wrote:
As for Gundry, I know the protocol is you have to see the PA first and her mother just passed, so they may be overwhelmed and not returning calls (my wife & I see him or his PA remotely). We've posted transcripts and redacted labs for 11 consults linked here.
I'm so impressed with your transcripts of Dr Gundry appointment. Because I am at an early stage of learning they are a great tool for me. To be honest, I've only made it through 2 appointments! They are overwhelming yet worthwhile to read! But the testing and Dr. Gundry's commentary is so informative. I am very impressed with Dr. Gundry and both you and your wife. Your knowledge and dedication to your health is inspiring. It has left me with the feeling that I have A LOT to learn. But also it has left me with the hope - that if I learn - and take care of these biomarkers - I may be able to beat this sword of Damocles hanging over me. Thank you for the gift of those transcripts.

Accordingly, I have tried to pursue an appointment at Dr. Gundry's office - hearing on a recording that I might be able to see a P.A. Mitsu. I finally got through to talk to someone and she said there is a waitlist for new patients that not just anyone could get on. I told her I was APOE4 and she said I could make it on the waitlist! They are sending me some extensive paperwork to fill out for further vetting. When they look that over I will be notified if I made the waitlist. If I do make the waitlist it will be about a 2 month wait for an appointment. As of May 1, it is cash on the barrelhead for an hour of Gundry's time. I have my fingers crossed!!

Thanks again for the recommendation!
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Hello Tincup
Tincup wrote:

Are you aware or have you heard reviews of Jeralyn Brossfield MD in Rancho Mirage, Ca. Her website states that she is trained in the Bredesen Recode program. I don't see her on the official Bredesen list post
I would prefer to see Dr. Gundry but I am having trouble communicating with his office. I don't want to be impatient but seems as though he is very sought after due to his knowledge and competence and I don't know how long I might have to wait to see him. Or I might wait a long time just to be turned away. Frustrated! Any advice is appreciated!

Gail,
newbie 3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Gail wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:24 pm Hello Tincup
Are you aware or have you heard reviews of Jeralyn Brossfield MD in Rancho Mirage, Ca. Her website states that she is trained in the Bredesen Recode program. I don't see her on the official Bredesen list post
I would prefer to see Dr. Gundry but I am having trouble communicating with his office. I don't want to be impatient but seems as though he is very sought after due to his knowledge and competence and I don't know how long I might have to wait to see him. Or I might wait a long time just to be turned away. Frustrated! Any advice is appreciated!

Gail,
newbie 3/4
I'm not aware of her. I actually live in Colorado and have virtual appointments. Gundry & I have only met once or twice in person, at conferences.

I don't know the office status. Certainly checking out Dr. Brossfield sounds worth doing.
Tincup
E3,E4
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Thanks Tincup,
Gail 3/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Gail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:25 pm

So my conundrum is how to proceed forward.
Hi Gail, you’ve already gotten some excellent advice since you posted. I’m just going to join in here. Tincup’s recommendation that you get a Coronary calcium scan to see where you stand on heart health is a good one. It could put your mind at ease. As someone who, like you, is ApoE3/4 and ( without statin) has cholesterol in same range as your before you took statin, I’m trying to get that test myself. I may use the link for imaging center Tincup posted
Since I am in Fullerton regularly for family visits.

JulieG recommended that you consider signing up for a PreCODE account with Apollo Health. In my opinion, since you are wondering how to proceed, that seems like an excellent choice. The resources available to anyone who has subscription are tremendous. There is a wealth of information contained in the Guides, as well as in the PreCODE Report itself. You already have lab values for several of the biomarkers in the PreCODE panel of tests (available on AH website), and you could opt for testing the other biomarkers independently. Once you have the initial tests to create the first PreCODE Report, you are provided with a list of additional tests that are recommended for you based on those results.
Since you asked for opinions on what route to take, from my perspective, getting a PreCODE account would be in the mid-ground between self-testing and working on the biomarkers yourself and working with a Practitioner who has ReCODE training. It gives you better tools and a more comprehensive understanding of your risk factors. Another plus is that the Support Team at Apollo Health could be helpful if you want to select a Practitioner and don’t go with Dr Gundry. (Though everyone I have spoken with who has worked with Dr Gundry and his team has only the highest praise.)

As for your question about the tests on ReCODE panel, my understanding is that the goal with the ReCODE panel of tests is to include the minimal tests needed to determine subtype and to prioritize areas to be addressed. That is to keep the cost as low as possible. Someone who’s lipid numbers are all in the optimal range would not need the advanced testing. Additional testing is usually recommended for areas where the biomarkers from the original panel are out of range.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Gail
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gail »

Tincup wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:27 pm As for Gundry, I know the protocol is you have to see the PA first and her mother just passed, so they may be overwhelmed and not returning calls (my wife & I see him or his PA remotely). We've posted transcripts and redacted labs for 11 consults linked here.
Tincup, Floramaria,

I just was notified by Gundry's office that I am off the waiting list and can come in for a blood draw next week. My first appointment will be in about 7 weeks. Thanks for all the transcripts Tincup. I think I know what to expect. I am feeling much better about my prospects.

Will Gundry's P.A. help with other Bredesen's recommendations - such as hormone testing and adjusting, or do I need another doctor for that?

Thank You,
Gail