Newbie- Trying to get started .in Ottawa Ontario

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Proverbs31_Woman
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie- Trying to get started .in Ottawa Ontario

Post by Proverbs31_Woman »

Hi,
My mom is showing AD like symptoms and I'm not sure what is going on with her health.

For the last 5 months we have been running around to appointments and it is like no really wants to help mom. I'm debating if I should take her to the local Dr who is Bredesen trained to start examining her.

Has anyone gone through the Bredesen Protocol in Ottawa? Is it best for me to go to the clinic in Montreal

If you are in Ottawa what was your experience like? Any tips or folks that I should bring mom to?

Thanks,

Proverbs31_Woman
Theresa.J
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie- Trying to get started .in Ottawa Ontario

Post by Theresa.J »

Proverbs31_Woman wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:19 pm Hi,
My mom is showing AD like symptoms and I'm not sure what is going on with her health.

For the last 5 months we have been running around to appointments and it is like no really wants to help mom. I'm debating if I should take her to the local Dr who is Bredesen trained to start examining her.

Has anyone gone through the Bredesen Protocol in Ottawa? Is it best for me to go to the clinic in Montreal

If you are in Ottawa what was your experience like? Any tips or folks that I should bring mom to?

Thanks,

Proverbs31_Woman
Hi Proverbs31_Woman -

As an Intern on the Support Team, I would like to welcome you to the ApoE4.info website. I'm so glad that you found us! It can be troubling and scary when our loved ones start exhibiting symptoms of cognitive decline. You have demonstrated bravery and perseverance in seeking answers for your mom these past few months.

There are many resources on this site that may be helpful for you. You may want to start by checking out this article Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner, located under "Resources" on the Wiki page of this site. It contains tips on finding a healthcare practitioner and contains links to assist you in this process.

If you would like to explore the site in more detail, I can share several other tools/resources to help you get the most out of your experience here:

The How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts, including how to quote members when replying to a post (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post to start your reply). This will ensure that the they get an email notifying them of your reply. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Has your mother been tested and found to carry the ApoE4 gene? If so, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

If you are comfortable doing so, I invite you to share a little bit more of your mom's story and what other support might be helpful for you at this time. The members on this site have a wealth of knowledge and expertise and may be able to point you in the right direction with more understanding of your mom's situation.

Again, I'm glad you've found this supportive community. I hope you find these tools useful as you navigate the site. Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Take care and be well.

Warmly,
Theresa
Theresa.J, MPH
ApoE4.info Support Team Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Proverbs31_Woman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Proverbs31_Woman »

Theresa.J wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:07 pm
Proverbs31_Woman wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:19 pm Hi,

Thanks,

Proverbs31_Woman
Hi Proverbs31_Woman -

As an Intern on the Support Team, I would like to welcome you to the ApoE4.info website. I'm so glad that you found us! It can be troubling and scary when our loved ones start exhibiting symptoms of cognitive decline. You have demonstrated bravery and perseverance in seeking answers for your mom these past few months.

There are many resources on this site that may be helpful for you. You may want to start by checking out this article Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner, located under "Resources" on the Wiki page of this site. It contains tips on finding a healthcare practitioner and contains links to assist you in this process.

If you would like to explore the site in more detail, I can share several other tools/resources to help you get the most out of your experience here:

The How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts, including how to quote members when replying to a post (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post to start your reply). This will ensure that the they get an email notifying them of your reply. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Has your mother been tested and found to carry the ApoE4 gene? If so, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

If you are comfortable doing so, I invite you to share a little bit more of your mom's story and what other support might be helpful for you at this time. The members on this site have a wealth of knowledge and expertise and may be able to point you in the right direction with more understanding of your mom's situation.

Again, I'm glad you've found this supportive community. I hope you find these tools useful as you navigate the site. Please let me know if you need any other assistance.

Take care and be well.

Warmly,
Theresa
Hi Theresa. J ,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Yes, my mom is an E3/E4. I will read up on it as soon as possible. This forum is such a big help mentally. Just a few seconds ago I could hear my mom offering her plate to her brother. She is hallucinating, her brother is not in Canada, he lives on another continent. It just breaks my heart and it is the most frightening situation I have ever faced! All the women on mom sides appears to have dementia or memory lost. Her older sister passed away in 2018 memory lost and dementia. Her mom was the same. Her older sister passed away around the same age as mom. This scares me a lot!

When my aunt passed away I was working 12-hour days. I was exhausted and I noticed I had a hard time remembering things. I had went downtown in an area that I had work for 5 years. Studently , I couldn't quite remember where the bus stop was. That scared me! I started keeping my brain active, cross puzzles, Sudoku, memory games. It helped me bounce back.

All the events got me into researching, I discovered that a low card diet was good for us. At the time I was keto. I discovered Bredesen Protocol shortly before my sibling told me that mom is not Ok. I told mom it would be a battle that we will both fight together. I'm an E3/E3 but I still have to be careful, when I was 1 I fell down the stairs into the basement. I slammed my head on the cement. I got up immediately, wasn't crying and kept moving. Then between 8 years old, my bike slipped and I slid under dad's truck...I do not recall my head hitting on the pavement. At 10, I fell off my bike while going down hill. My hit the rocks multiple time. In my youth I had migraine issues. Based on the links in this forum...I need to get started as well. I'm 44, I still got time to turn the both around.
RAJ64
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RAJ64 »

Proverbs31_Woman wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:39 pm Hi Theresa. J ,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Yes, my mom is an E3/E4. I will read up on it as soon as possible. This forum is such a big help mentally. Just a few seconds ago I could hear my mom offering her plate to her brother. She is hallucinating, her brother is not in Canada, he lives on another continent. It just breaks my heart and it is the most frightening situation I have ever faced! All the women on mom sides appears to have dementia or memory lost. Her older sister passed away in 2018 memory lost and dementia. Her mom was the same. Her older sister passed away around the same age as mom. This scares me a lot!

When my aunt passed away I was working 12-hour days. I was exhausted and I noticed I had a hard time remembering things. I had went downtown in an area that I had work for 5 years. Studently , I couldn't quite remember where the bus stop was. That scared me! I started keeping my brain active, cross puzzles, Sudoku, memory games. It helped me bounce back.

All the events got me into researching, I discovered that a low card diet was good for us. At the time I was keto. I discovered Bredesen Protocol shortly before my sibling told me that mom is not Ok. I told mom it would be a battle that we will both fight together. I'm an E3/E3 but I still have to be careful, when I was 1 I fell down the stairs into the basement. I slammed my head on the cement. I got up immediately, wasn't crying and kept moving. Then between 8 years old, my bike slipped and I slid under dad's truck...I do not recall my head hitting on the pavement. At 10, I fell off my bike while going down hill. My hit the rocks multiple time. In my youth I had migraine issues. Based on the links in this forum...I need to get started as well. I'm 44, I still got time to turn the both around.
Hello Proverbs31_Woman,

You have a lot on you right now, trying to help your mother. She is blessed to have you for her daughter. My mother also became confused about who her family was and where they were. She often called me Marcia, her sister’s name. I didn’t try to correct her. She loved her sister and I loved my mom. I was my mom’s caregiver for 10 years before she passed away with AD at age 77. She spent the last 4 1/2 years in a long term care facility because she lost the ability to walk and we could not safely care for her at home. It is a very stressful and frightening experience. We also had many good times and I was able to continue to advocate for her in her long term care setting.

You have already made some wonderful lifestyle changes for yourself. You being healthy will help your mom, no matter what lies ahead for her. Your love for your mother will go a long way in your care for her. The ApoE4.info community and resources are here to support you. Hang in there!

Warmly,
Rachel
RAJ64, BSN, RN
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt