Newbie story with labs and questions

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Tsumpter
New User
New User

Newbie story with labs and questions

Post by Tsumpter »

My journey with Apoe4 began in October 2021 before a scheduled physical. I am a 61-year-old female, Apoe3/4. My provider wanted to start me on a statin immediately in October 2021 and possibly a blood pressure medicine since my BP had been creeping up. (see attached file). However, after researching the Apoe4 information and reading Dr. Bredesen’s books, instead I went on a keto diet with emphasis on low saturated fat and generous monounsaturated fat. I was about 20 lbs. over my desired weight, but easily lost that between October 2021 and March 2022. I walk outside at least 60 minutes every day, many days more than that and I rarely miss a day. After three months my blood pressure was still trending high so I started a natural product from Life Extension which brought the BP into normal range within two weeks. Then in March 2022 I paid for the Life Extension NMR LipoProfile to get particle sizes and distribution.
Other health conditions: hypothyroidism, gluten sensitivity (mother has celiac), depression/anxiety controlled with SSRI.

After receiving the results from Life Extension in March I contacted my provider to begin rosuvastatin 5mg. I am taking it 4 days a week with a goal of reducing my Total Cholesterol by 25% which would get me right about 200. I have been checking my ketones and fasting glucose and consistently show ketones between 0.5 and 4 and glucose below 90. My blood pressure has been stable on the supplement; however, I have frequent PVCs at varying times of day and will be addressing that with my provider at the end of this month.
My maternal grandmother had dementia and died at age 91, my mother is 82 and shows signs of mild cognitive impairment; however, she still drives and makes lots of lists to help her memory. She has never been tested cognitively but had an MRI done several years ago trying to determine an organic cause for hearing loss – it showed “brain shrinkage”. My paternal family history is unknown.
My questions are: 1) what comments do you knowledgeable people have regarding my history and lab results, and 2) what suggestions might you have for me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnnaM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie story with labs and questions

Post by AnnaM »

Tsumpter wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:40 pm My questions are: 1) what comments do you knowledgeable people have regarding my history and lab results, and 2) what suggestions might you have for me?
Welcome Tsumpter! Thanks for sharing your detailed story here. I am inspired by your determination and perseverance to stick with all of your healthy lifestyle changes! Other members will be inspired by your example!
As an intern here, it is my role to welcome you to the forum and provide some tips on finding some of the many interesting pages here.
Have you checked out thePrimer? It is a wealth of information written by a doctor who is a member here.

The How-To shows how to navigate and use the site. The Our Stories, is good to read and get acquainted with some of the members, as well as so heartwarming.
I can't speak to your labs, but I also have thyroid problems and for me, it has taken quite some time to get back into the normal range! There are a number of very knowledgeable people on these pages that may chime-in on your post, but your own doctor may be the one to ask. Do you have a doctor recommended on Dr Bredesen's website?
Take Care,
AnnaM
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

AnnaM wrote:what comments do you knowledgeable people have regarding my history and lab results
Congrats on moving several markers to healthier levels, especially your blood pressure.

My first take is that your homocysteine is way too high and it would be worth treating and retesting. Take a look at the wiki section on Hacking High Homocysteine for ideas.

Also, look at the wiki section on reducing oxidized LDL for ideas how to bring that down.

We've all learned that you have to continue to tweak and test, so keep fighting the good fight!
Tsumpter
New User
New User

Post by Tsumpter »

SusanJ wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:51 am
AnnaM wrote:what comments do you knowledgeable people have regarding my history and lab results
Congrats on moving several markers to healthier levels, especially your blood pressure.

My first take is that your homocysteine is way too high and it would be worth treating and retesting. Take a look at the wiki section on Hacking High Homocysteine for ideas.

Also, look at the wiki section on reducing oxidized LDL for ideas how to bring that down.

We've all learned that you have to continue to tweak and test, so keep fighting the good fight!
Thank you for your thoughts. I have been taking methylfolate and methyl B12, but hadn't realized I should take B6. I have ordered this. I've already cut back on saturated fats and carbs and calories but haven't had my homocysteine rechecked. Hopefully it has come down.