MitoQ & supplements

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
dewey
Contributor
Contributor

MitoQ & supplements

Post by dewey »

Does anyone have any current feedback on MitoQ? I have very recently (about 3.5 months ago) learned of my 4/4 status. I've realized I know nothing... or very little about all the pieces to the health puzzle. I thought I was the healthiest person I knew until I got my blood test back. I found a functional medicine Dr who put me on MitoQ along with 6 other supplements. They are all quite expensive. And, this morning I saw this article on MitoQ - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5880956/

It made me realize I need to research. I can't just do what my Dr says. But, I am just not wired as an analytical person. So, I'm having a hard time. Any help/feedback is appreciated about MitoQ &/or recommended supplements for 4/4's.

Lora
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: MitoQ & supplements

Post by floramaria »

dewey wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:16 am Does anyone have any current feedback on MitoQ? I have very recently (about 3.5 months ago) learned of my 4/4 status. I've realized I know nothing... or very little about all the pieces to the health puzzle. I thought I was the healthiest person I knew until I got my blood test back. I found a functional medicine Dr who put me on MitoQ along with 6 other supplements. They are all quite expensive. And, this morning I saw this article on MitoQ - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5880956/

It made me realize I need to research. I can't just do what my Dr says. But, I am just not wired as an analytical person. So, I'm having a hard time. Any help/feedback is appreciated about MitoQ &/or recommended supplements for 4/4's.

Lora
Hi Lora, I had never heard of MitoQ before reading your post, but Yikes!, I followed your link to that NIH article. I didn’t read the whole thing, but certainly that research appears to be cause for concern.
There are previous posts on our forums that mention MitoQ. You may want to see what others in this community have to say about this supplement.
Here is a link: search.php?keywords=MitoQ

To help you navigate the website, when you have a question about a specific, like MitoQ, you can look it up in our search bar. That is located just under your user name in upper right of page. It will take to to all previous mentions of the term you search for.

You might share the article you posted with your MD and express your concerns. In an ideal world, we would not need to be doing our own research about supplements recommended by the professional to whom we entrust our health!

Have you read The End of Alzheimer’s Program ? It has section on targeted supplements. I find it useful. But your FM doctor should be the most reliable source personalized supplements. He or she has knowledge of your
Medical status and should be able to direct you to the best supplements for you. Personalized medicine is what FM is about.
I understand that this article may have shaken your sense that you can trust your doctor to recommend supplements for you. Again, I suggest you discuss this with your doctor so that you don’t erode your relationship.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

dewey wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:16 am Does anyone have any current feedback on MitoQ? I have very recently (about 3.5 months ago) learned of my 4/4 status. I've realized I know nothing... or very little about all the pieces to the health puzzle. I thought I was the healthiest person I knew until I got my blood test back. I found a functional medicine Dr who put me on MitoQ along with 6 other supplements. They are all quite expensive. And, this morning I saw this article on MitoQ - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5880956/

Lora
Lora, thanks for posting your question.

I contacted the manufacturer of MitoQ and asked for a response to this 2018 study. I've been using the supplement for the past several months and have noticed improvement in my brain health. I received a detailed response that allayed my concerns. She provided the following link, which is the company's public response to the 2018 study:

https://www.mitoq.com/journal/mitoq-and-kidney-safety

For one thing, the 2018 study used a dose that was hundreds of times higher than the manufacturer recommends. To me, the study isn't a legitimate evaluation of MitoQ.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
dewey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dewey »

floramaria and TheBrain,

Thank you both for responding.

I did speak to my Dr about it and she believes it is one of the best things she prescribes and takes it herself. She did ask me to forward her the study ... which made me happy that she is willing to assess her recommendations as needed.

I never thought about calling the manufacturer as an option. I'm learning so much!! I do feel much better about their response and will forward that to my Dr as well.

Again, thanks!! I am so appreciative that you both took the time. :)

Lora
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Lora, which supplements did your doctor recommend?

The Brain, what sort of results did you see with MitoQ?

Thanks all! Chandra
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

For what it's worth, I have a close friend with a newly discovered mitochondrial disease. She is rapidly losing her hearing, vision, muscle mass, Type 2 Diabetes, plus she is ApoE4 positive. She has been evaluated by researchers at Duke University as well as Harvard University. They have put her on MitoQ, NAC, and NADH among other traditional supplements such as CoQ10 and DHA. They believe this will help her. I saw her last night and she has a lot of energy now and looks great. They are hoping to halt the deterioration. The researchers seemed to have approached this very carefully.
dewey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dewey »

Tiramisu1984 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:54 am Lora, which supplements did your doctor recommend?

The Brain, what sort of results did you see with MitoQ?

Thanks all! Chandra
Hi, Chandra.

The original supplements (before getting my testing back last week) are Phosphatidylcholine, MitoQ, Resveracel, 5-MTHF ES, Memory Mag, Quinton Hypertonic, and Omega Balance. I was already taking Bone Support and Macular Support... which she wants me to continue to take.

Since I have my test results she added 11 additional supplements that are specific to those results.

I don't see how I will be able to continue this protocol for an extended period of time due to the cost. But, she did assure me as some things are resolved, I'll discontinue the supplement associated with it. She also said some of these I should stay on indefinitely. I'm new on this journey. So, I'm still learning.

Lora
dewey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dewey »

JulieAnnie wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:49 pm For what it's worth, I have a close friend with a newly discovered mitochondrial disease. She is rapidly losing her hearing, vision, muscle mass, Type 2 Diabetes, plus she is ApoE4 positive. She has been evaluated by researchers at Duke University as well as Harvard University. They have put her on MitoQ, NAC, and NADH among other traditional supplements such as CoQ10 and DHA. They believe this will help her. I saw her last night and she has a lot of energy now and looks great. They are hoping to halt the deterioration. The researchers seemed to have approached this very carefully.
Thank you for sharing! That is really good to know. I hope your friend continues to see improvement.

Lora