Just joining the club

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Chrisweides
Contributor
Contributor

Just joining the club

Post by Chrisweides »

Hi,

I`ve known for some time that I am APOE4/E3, but I never knew there was such a great website!

I turn 50 this year and my mum has just started with the typical AD signs. She is 76. I have seen it go in with my great-grandmother (yes, I had the chance to know her) and my grandmother. Great-granny had it very badly, my grandmother passed at 90 with moderate dementia which I would certainly count as a success. She at least remembered everyone until the end. But she was much older when it started. Possibly because she had no car, a big garden and many friends and close family around.

I have to admit I didnt really "care" for my potential Alzheimers, but somehow, turning 50 has woken me up and I am beyond terrified. I have an anxiety disorder, worsening my risk, I have used passion flower for years, possibly worsening my risk. Had to have a few operations with general anaesthesia which, I am told, also worsen your risk.

HOwever, I choose to believe I can still stave off the worst of this. So I want to tell you that I am so, so grateful that you took the time and care to compile such a vast amount of information. It`S going to be tough to incorporate all this.

One question about exercise. I just cannot do 20 mins of really vigorous exercise, my bones wont permit it. I already have shin splints and inflamed tendons. Moderate exercise I can do. Do you have to double the time, then?

Best to you all,

Chris
51 years old. APO E3/4. Mother, grandmother and great grandmother had/are starting with dementia. Afflicted with anxiety disorder atm. Very eager to save brain and live a long healthy life. Grateful to you all for your knowledge and kindness!
Nicnac0526
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just joining the club

Post by Nicnac0526 »

Chrisweides wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am Hi,

I`ve known for some time that I am APOE4/E3, but I never knew there was such a great website!

I turn 50 this year and my mum has just started with the typical AD signs. She is 76. I have seen it go in with my great-grandmother (yes, I had the chance to know her) and my grandmother. Great-granny had it very badly, my grandmother passed at 90 with moderate dementia which I would certainly count as a success. She at least remembered everyone until the end. But she was much older when it started. Possibly because she had no car, a big garden and many friends and close family around.

I have to admit I didnt really "care" for my potential Alzheimers, but somehow, turning 50 has woken me up and I am beyond terrified. I have an anxiety disorder, worsening my risk, I have used passion flower for years, possibly worsening my risk. Had to have a few operations with general anaesthesia which, I am told, also worsen your risk.

HOwever, I choose to believe I can still stave off the worst of this. So I want to tell you that I am so, so grateful that you took the time and care to compile such a vast amount of information. It`S going to be tough to incorporate all this.

One question about exercise. I just cannot do 20 mins of really vigorous exercise, my bones wont permit it. I already have shin splints and inflamed tendons. Moderate exercise I can do. Do you have to double the time, then?

Best to you all,

Chris
Hi Chris,
As a Support Team intern, I would like to welcome you the ApoE4.info website. I'm so glad that you found us!

Congratulations on your first post. Your openness and honesty shows great courage. It is scary and often overwhelming especially when you have first hand experience with your mum, grand-mother and great-grandmother. The good news is that our genes are absolutely not our destiny and your willingness to start reviewing your diet and lifestyle at such an early age will serve you well.

There may well be others who can chip in with more information, but lots of studies support that moderate exercise, if done regularly has great effects on blood pressure, glucose and overall health.

There is a huge amount of both information and support in this forum. The key areas that we recommend to start are;
The Primer which is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

The The How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, Our Stories - but you have already found this.

I hope that these tools help to navigate the site.

Please celebrate your curiosity and wisdom that have brought you to our forum. Do ask if you have any further questions.

Warm wishes.
Nicky (Nicnac0526)
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Chrisweides wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am One question about exercise. I just cannot do 20 mins of really vigorous exercise, my bones wont permit it. I already have shin splints and inflamed tendons. Moderate exercise I can do. Do you have to double the time, then?
Chris, here is a good article on exercise and AD

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/ ... alzheimers

From what I've read, you don't have to do a huge amount to have benefit. Any additional helps. Just do what you can without pain. When you can, try to add a bit more time or intensity. If you can afford it, working with a physical therapist to do some supervised weight training would also likely help.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Chrisweides
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Chrisweides »

Thank you both :)
51 years old. APO E3/4. Mother, grandmother and great grandmother had/are starting with dementia. Afflicted with anxiety disorder atm. Very eager to save brain and live a long healthy life. Grateful to you all for your knowledge and kindness!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Chrisweides wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am One question about exercise. I just cannot do 20 mins of really vigorous exercise, my bones wont permit it. I already have shin splints and inflamed tendons. Moderate exercise I can do. Do you have to double the time, then?
Exercise is very important, but I too can no longer do impact/cardio exercise either, after 3 orthopedic surgeries on my right foot (1st one created problems, next two were supposed to fix, but didn't.) But there's more to exercise that going for a 5 mile run. You can move can't you? Move as much as you can, do resistance training, every little bit has benefit.

Since you're new to this site, you are probably unfamiliar with our wiki. We cover many subjects, including exercise. give it a look. Exercise - Types, Lengths, and Benefits
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Chrisweides
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Chrisweides »

Oh great! Indeed I didnt know about your Wiki. Thank you very much Theresa!

I can and do move, but high impact training or intensive cardio is out for me. :)
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Chris,
It can all seem like a lot! I know. But tiny steps. You're only 50, it's great that you've found some motivation from this turning point in your life. For now though, just prioritise what you want to change and make those changes slowly, a tiny bit at a time, so that they fit into your lifestyle. If you try to do too much, it'll become overwhelming. If you try to do things that are hard or painful, you won't keep them up. Do what you can for now and you might find you can do more as time goes on.
Think about changes you've made in the past that have worked well for you. How did you make those changes? Use those same strengths, approaches and tools, and apply them to the changes you WANT to make right now.
You'll be surprised how quickly the little habits build up. When I look back at how much I've changed, it seems huge, but at the time, it was just one tiny habit at a time.
I wish you the best of luck and a long healthy life (take a tip from your Gran, keep your friends close and enjoy the outdoors).
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
Chrisweides
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Chrisweides »

Thank you Lindsey :). Those are very encouraging words. I have a rather severe anxiety disorder so it can all be a bit much.